Author Topic: Painting spray foam  (Read 575 times)

Offline ML Crappie King

• IceShanty Rookie
Painting spray foam
« on: Sep 15, 2015, 06:42 PM »
Has anyone painted spray foam by hand using a paint brush or a roller?  How did it turn out?  Was it difficult getting in the cracks and crevices?  How many coats would be needed?  Thank You
Ottertail County - Most lakes of any county in U.S.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Painting spray foam
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2015, 06:47 PM »
I haven't done it but make sure you use a water based paint as any solvent based paint will dissolve the foam.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2015, 06:55 PM »
You should add your location to your profile.

I think spraying it might be the way to go ....maybe check with renting one . A roller and a brush may prove futile if yor painting a shelter.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ML Crappie King

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2015, 11:56 PM »
Thanks for your help.  I did put in my location in my profile.  I am purchasing an 8' x 14'  + 2' V skid house that comes spray foamed from the factory.  The distributor for the factory said he didn't think using a brush or roller would be much of a problem.  He did say to use a latex with a satin gloss finish and I will definitely use a water based paint.  I'm not real handy with using mechanical devices such as the sprayer, and want to eliminate covering all 4 windows and the door and trim boards etc., so will try the brush roller thing.  Thanks again.
Ottertail County - Most lakes of any county in U.S.

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2015, 06:21 AM »
Thanks for your help.  I did put in my location in my profile.  I am purchasing an 8' x 14'  + 2' V skid house that comes spray foamed from the factory.  The distributor for the factory said he didn't think using a brush or roller would be much of a problem.  He did say to use a latex with a satin gloss finish and I will definitely use a water based paint.  I'm not real handy with using mechanical devices such as the sprayer, and want to eliminate covering all 4 windows and the door and trim boards etc., so will try the brush roller thing.  Thanks again.

How smooth is the finished foam product? Is the thickness fairly uniform? We sprayed our house before put the siding on, but I believe that rolling on paint would have worked. I suggest using a heavy nap roller to put it on.

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2015, 12:22 PM »
You'll need to use a porous coat primer, like that of which you would use over new drywall. Should fill in the porous holes and allow you to paint a single coat of gloss paint over the top.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2015, 01:16 PM »
I suggest using a heavy nap roller to put it on.
x2

Offline Tbone9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2015, 02:23 PM »
Please report back and let us know how it turns out. I'm tired of the dark yellow spray foam in mine. Didn't want to panel it off to save weight. I sometimes have to pull it with the aatv.
Always trying to catch those light bitin lethargic sons of fishes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.