Author Topic: It's about time..........  (Read 1954 times)

Offline SlaptheFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The best things in LIFE are done on ICE!!!
It's about time..........
« on: Sep 15, 2015, 08:11 AM »
It's that time again!  Throw up the shrines, or sacrifice a live chicken to ensure we get some good and safe ice for this coming year.  Which brings me to an excellent question, what is your superstition about making the ice grow? 

My new one is that if I make the apple pie too weak, the ice will be weak.  It will be strong this year!  LOL

Cheers

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: It's about time..........
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2015, 08:15 AM »
if I make the apple pie too weak, the ice will be weak.  It will be strong this year!

makes sense to me ;D

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2015, 06:02 PM »
Oh yes you have it right slap, it is that time. Been thinking about the apple pie brewfest on more than one occasion. I may have to make a double batch just for myself this year. I think i was out by march. As for the superstion on ice growth, I just pray, pray & pray. I'm hoping for some ice before thanksgiving like we have been on the last 2 years  :bow: :bow: :bow:
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2015, 05:12 PM »
Greetings fellow Utah Ice Fishermen! I'm a new member to IceShanty and looking forward to getting to know everyone here in the Utah area. Moved here from California two years ago and spent the past two winters passing along my addiction for ice fishing to my 14yr old son.  We were really disappointed with the warm weather last winter that kept us from trying new locations. So, we too will be exercising all of our applicable superstitions to ensure good ice this winter. Let us know what kind of ice-dance or other offerings we should try......
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2015, 07:59 AM »
Welcome to the shanty hardh20fishin, pretty slow on here now but over the next month things will pick up for sure. As long as the temps start dropping  :bow:
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2015, 06:26 PM »
Thanks muskyon46, looking forward to the new season. Even ordered an IceShanty flag and Utah patches to display while out on the ice.  Got any advice on portable heaters? Was thinking of a Mr. Buddy heater, but then saw some comments regarding issues at altitudes greater than 5,000 feet.  Truth or myth?
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2015, 07:52 AM »
Alot of us here use the buddy's (for heat & cooking) and have had only minimal issues. More of a fresh air problem not altitude. Remedied with having a fresh air source close to the heater. Pilot light needs it to stay burning to keep the thermo coupler working correctly.  I like to put my heater near one of my doors (eskimo QF3 & 949I) and leave the bottom of the zipper open a bit. Rarely have problems since doing this. We did go thru a phase where we had some 3" pvc pipe sections that we would stick under a wall of the tent and place it in front of the heaters that also worked well. But if there's not much of a breeze out the door trick works wonders. I used to use the small buddy and finally upgraded 2 years ago to the big buddy, if I were to do it over again I would buy the big buddy 1st for sure. I fly the flag also, the militia version though. Even mounted one up to the sled last year

or at the tent if I don't have my sled

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2015, 02:50 PM »
OK, great. Thanks for the info & advice. May need to hint around for my wife to figure out that "Santa" should bring me one this year. 

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2015, 09:06 PM »
Testing how to post pics. Here are my three kids last year. My son and I took the girls out for their first time fishing on the ice. Everyone knocked them dead that day and had tons of fun. Looking forward to this year.

Youngest daughter with her first fish through the ice. Nice 14" cutthroat she hooked & landed all by herself while I was helping her sister get set up 15 feet away. She's a natural......

Oldest daughter with her first fish through the ice. Glad that she is not afraid to bait her own hooks and hold her own catch.

My son with his first Tiger Trout. Caught on a glow paddle jig tipped with a butter worm.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2015, 10:02 PM »
Pics turned out great, those are some big grins on those faces. It's got me jonesin for some hard deck
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 06, 2015, 11:04 PM »
   Happy to see you boys are thinking of ice again. I had the tents set up last week to see how much fun the mice had over the summer. All is well it seems. I am planning on doing many nights on the ice this year and trying new places to fish as well.
   Welcome to the shanty HardH20Fishin! Those pics look great. Come up to Henry's lake with us, and Muskyon46 will put you on some monsters by the palm trees. (inside joke)
See you soon guys!

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • friends with the same mental disorder....priceless
« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2015, 08:47 AM »
Greetings !
Glad to see everyone is up and at-em and excited for the coming ice. I've been working on a new Smitty type sled and am looking forward to try it out. Anybody trying out new stuff this year ? As far as superstitions go I thought about wearing the same pair of underwear until ice on but the wife vetoed the idea. Lol  So if any one has a good idea other than apple pie ( that stuff hurts ) lm willing to try it. Thinking of hitting the Berry this Sat. Have room on the toon if any one is interested.
Geezer

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Oct 10, 2015, 04:51 PM »
Happy to see you boys are thinking of ice again. I had the tents set up last week to see how much fun the mice had over the summer. All is well it seems

That's good Joe, I would be sick if you had issues with that otter. That tent is awesome, especially with all the mods you've done

I've been working on a new Smitty type sled and am looking forward to try it out. Thinking of hitting the Berry this Sat. Have room on the toon if any one is interested.

Cant wait to see some pics of the new smitty Gale, Wish I could have taken you up on the offer for the berry. Hope you guys did good
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline PFIDude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 11, 2015, 12:35 AM »
Hard to believe its time to start thinking about hard deck again, but I can't wait!  I had a great season last year meeting and fishing with some of you guys and hope to build more relationships on the ice this year! 

Offline SlaptheFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The best things in LIFE are done on ICE!!!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 14, 2015, 10:03 AM »
Well looks like the sleeping giants have arose!  Already thinking about pre-ordering more pole lights for this years festivities.  Turns out that Amazon has the LR41 batteries that they take for about $6 for 100.  That ought to keep em glowing for the weekend. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.