The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Shanty Repair  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Zink

• IceShanty Rookie
Shanty Repair
« on: Sep 14, 2015, 07:14 PM »
Hi everyone. Pulled out my Shappel 5500 Widehouse a few months ago to air out in the sun and noticed a very small tear in the canvas. It's about a half inch long by quarter inch high. Don't want it to rip anymore so wondering if anyone knows the best way to repair?  Went on You Tube but wasn't very helpful. Thanks and looking forward to the hard ice season.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Shanty Repair
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2015, 07:25 PM »
Tenacious tape ...Gorilla Clear repair

http://www.walmart.com/ip/McNett-10691-Tenacious-Clean-Tape-3-34-x20-34-Clear/26965785

http://www.walmart.com/ip/GORILLA-GLUE-6027002-Repair-Tape-Cloth-Clear-9-yd.-L-G8496381/43018209

FROM CLAM FAQ :

Q: How do I apply the patch material?

When applying a patch it works best to spray some adhesive (we recommend using 3M #77 or 3M #90 spray adhesive) on to both surfaces—the part of the tent where the patch is going to be applied and the patch itself. Wait until the adhesive begins to dry and becomes tacky, then place the patch on the tent, and they will stick together. (Note: Care should be taken to apply the patch evenly and smoothly, since wrinkles or uneven areas will be very difficult to correct once the two surfaces with the adhesive have come into contact with each other.)

http://clamoutdoors.com/store/parts/tent-patch-kits.html

http://clamoutdoors.com/store/parts/suit-patch-kits-10-options-available.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2015, 08:54 AM »
On my Widehouse last year I had a small burn hole in it an repaired it with a patch from Walmart and some stuff called amazing goop, cleaned it up put the goop on and put a patch on both sides and it never failed

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2015, 09:19 AM »
other brand shanty manufactures are selling repair kits now in their colors. maybe shappell/eagleclaw will start making it in their color soon.

you can buy shappell windows which are 600 denier and the 3m spray glue and make your own that way. the flap on the window is what you'd use. look at parts from the flips and/or the suit case shacks to get them.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2015, 09:01 AM »
Awning repair tape from a RV dealer. It's clear so color don't matter.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2015, 10:13 AM »
i noticed the other day otter has two repair kits, one clear with slef advesive and the other is colored with a seperate adhesive.

Offline CavScout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2015, 02:46 PM »
Call me cheap, but in the past i used an old pair of worn out black denim jeans. Cut it into patches to fix holes and reinforce wear areas. Worked out great. Used standard craft store fabric glue. The denium stayed nice and flexible while.keeping the weather and light out.
US Army Cavalry Scout 2007-Present 

"The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing"-Edmund Burke

Offline Highball

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2015, 02:10 AM »
Find an Amish harness & tarp repair shop. Excellent work & reasonable prices.
Proud member of Michigan Darkhouse Angling Association!

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2015, 10:26 AM »
We use clear Gorilla repair tape on the charter boats plastic windshields, it held up to everything. Bet it would work perfectly on the shanty tear. I would put it on both sides and press it down well.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2015, 06:50 PM »
We use clear Gorilla repair tape on the charter boats plastic windshields, it held up to everything. Bet it would work perfectly on the shanty tear. I would put it on both sides and press it down well.

Just did that to my Frabill Adventures on some minor tears and holes ..I will have to see how it holds up after the season .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.