The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Line choice  (Read 1318 times)

Offline transmontanus

• IceShanty Rookie
Line choice
« on: Sep 11, 2015, 09:26 PM »
Time to replace the line on my rods.  I was wondering what would be the best line to re-spool on my rods.  I used the berkley trilene ice line last year.  Was looking to switch it up this year.  Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Line choice
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2015, 09:42 PM »
i fish pans only and use asso super high tenacity 2# gray

Offline rskendallxc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I do, because you don't
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2015, 02:11 PM »
Any weight P-Line is a great choice.
My wife knows more about fishing then you!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2015, 10:02 PM »
I use a braid and fluorocarbon leader on some rods, mono on others and different ice lines too. P-line is a good choice as well. Some items to consider are what species fish you are targeting, and does the line match up well to your rod/reel combo. It is time to get stripping old line off and replacing it! The ice isn't very far off!

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline rskendallxc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I do, because you don't
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2015, 03:01 PM »
Depends on the rod and type of fish I'm going for also... I really like 15-20lb Suffix 832 Braid with either an 8 or 10lb P-Line Flourocarbon tippet for lake trout and burbot. 6lb flourocarbon coated P-Line for Rainbows and smaller fish. I have the itch bad!! Ice can't come soon enough  ;D
My wife knows more about fishing then you!

Offline NeFiShNeTiMe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2015, 07:55 AM »
Check out damyl tectan available on the fish USA website. I have been using it for 5 years or better and I can't switch lines. The one thing I would say is it doesn't have as long of a life compared to other quality lines. The response and the smaller diameter and everything else is absolutely amazing.
Ezyjiggin101

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2015, 08:12 AM »
Check out damyl tectan available on the fish USA website. I have been using it for 5 years or better and I can't switch lines. The one thing I would say is it doesn't have as long of a life compared to other quality lines. The response and the smaller diameter and everything else is absolutely amazing.
so how often do you have to replace that line?

i was just looking at some on fish usa and other sites. they used to have a plus and now they don't and call it superior instead.

i am trying other lines this season.

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2015, 10:45 PM »
P-line.
Come on fish!

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2015, 11:22 PM »
I just spooled up one of my reels with suffix 832. The plain ,not the ice. Does anyone have any experience with that?
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2015, 07:37 AM »
I guess braid is OK if you are in a hut. My buddy and I tend to fish in the open and admire the scenery. Braid really ices up below freezing.(I was going to say below zero but then I realized that most of  you use that funny old temp scale.  ;))
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2015, 07:47 AM »
I have always used Fireline braid, and have always had success with it. I've never had it really freeze up hard on me, there were a few times it froze just a little, but never caused me problems. But this year after being a member on this site for a few months and reading many threads, I decided to re-string all my rods and go with P-Line Flouro Ice and Flouro Clear. 3, 4 and 8 lb tests for my different rods for different species of fish. I'm hoping it will increase my catch numbers being smaller diameter line and hopefully the fish won't notice it as much, and I'm hopeful it gives me better sensitivity.

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2015, 09:29 AM »
I agree with Sir crank regarding having issues with braided line freezing up when fishing outside of a shanty. I spooled a bunch of reels this summer with Stren Magnathin so that is what I am going to use this winter. It's pretty flexible so I think it should work good for ice fishing. I'll keep one reel spooled with braided line when the temps aren't quite so cold and I'm jigging deep for lake trout.

Offline Wyomingbohunk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2015, 12:17 PM »
I use the brand "spider wire" on my pole. Not the regular spider wire, but the ice fishing specific line. I love it so far, it doesn't get any ice built up or tangled in the hole. Plus spider wire makes their lines pretty tough which is nice for the accidental northern that wants to fight.

Offline jritten

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2015, 03:50 PM »
I tend to use fireline on my tip ups with a fluorocarbon leader. That way when they drag line sideways it seems less likely to get weakspots from rubbing the ice. I've have used the more expensive lines for jigging reels, but I'm not sure it's worth the added expense, at least to me. I usually just go after panfish or trout, so strength doesn't seem to be an issue, and I change often enough that cheap link seems to work fine for me. Of course, I do keep at least one reel with some sort of braid for when I head north looking for northern...

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2015, 10:05 PM »
Well I used to be a big fire line or braided line guy. But the last couple of years I started noticing less takes then I used to. I switched to a 8lb fluorocarbon and my sets increased. Is there something to this? But I do know when first using floro the stretch. Holly cow big difference. I tried the leader but I never found a good enough note to keep both together or I was just not tieing them correctly. So I just put a spool on floro on and have callled it good. I you do go with braided or fireline I do recommend you put 10 plus feet of mono down so your line will not spin on your reel. FYI
No one left behind.     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.