Author Topic: lx 6 hypothetical  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
lx 6 hypothetical
« on: Sep 07, 2015, 02:45 PM »
I just received my lx 6 and was reading the operator's manual.  It has more adjustments than my 5 for sure.  I understand most of the various menu settings but wondered what combination of settings (and why!) you experienced 6 users might find most applicable to an arbitrary fishing situation I'm likely to encounter this year.  Say for example I'm chasing perch in 25' DOW using 4mm tungsten jigs tipped with waxies or spikes.  How would you set your rig up to be the most productive.  Sure I could wait till ice up to play with it but I was hoping some guys might be willing to share their insight in advance of the season.  Thanks fellas

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: lx 6 hypothetical
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2015, 09:33 AM »
what wait till ice season to play with the new flasher-  NO NO NO NO NO 

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2015, 09:44 AM »
take it to a boat dock and give her a try!

Catchin' Fish

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2015, 09:48 AM »
i have talked a lot about the lx-6/7/9. they are the same unit other than size or with a camera, so they all work the same.

it has 3 problems and 3 work rounds (sort of). one being ice mode doesn't work (why did they bother adding it if its broken?), so use open water mode. next is auto lock for depth doesn't work (again, why did they bother adding it if its broken?), so you use dynamic manual or manual. last is a blind spot from the bottom of the ducer to 3 feet under it (don't they feild test any more?). make sure you only have an inch of the ducer in the water. the work around is fish thick ice (sad to say), but true story. does make for easier fishing for sure!

marcum knows of all 3 MAJOR PROBLEMS and has NOT fixed them. we are all hoping they would with a firmware update, but no dice and they had all summer again to fix them. i know they read these posts too.

as for display, i use the chart/graph on the left half and the normal vertical and zoom vertical and when i want to see how large of an area it can see i use the dash board.
set the ping to 1/slowest rate for the chart/graph. start cranking up the gain until you see a bottom in red. try to see your jig and turn it up more if you can't. you have to adjust the depth your trying to lock onto. the zoom has infinate coverage and is super handy. you'll want narrow/8 degree cone in deeper water like over 10/15 fow.

some more info here. if you run it thru the search it will give you more, like where i gave all the numbers to adjust it ect.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=315335.0

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2015, 02:01 PM »
I asked Marcum a few months ago if they were going to hopefully do a software update, seeing they took last winter off, and there response was this …

"You’ll be glad to  know that we are going to release new software versions this winter.  Probably around December 1, but I’m not sure.  I doubt that the new software will add any features, but will improve performance."

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2015, 09:41 PM »
Why does it take them so long? I've had 3 updates to my Helix since getting it earlier this year - they're actual fixes to issues reported on several forums too and enhancements such as adding a showdown style "a-scope" view

Catchin' Fish

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2015, 09:33 AM »
rickwalley thanks for the great news!
i had chris on the phone the other day and didn't think about asking him when some fix's are due out.
i called him to ask about the marcum rt-9 for some one on here. its still getting ready for prime time and so its sounds like they had their hands full fixing (trying to) that and the lx's.
looking forward to having any of the issues out of the picture and being able to use it the way it was intended.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2015, 10:00 AM »
i called to see what they are fixing in this firmware update. he said its the lx6/7 shallow water and lx9 deep water problems. so the 3 foot problem should be gone.
update time is middle of january.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.