The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Mice and the shanty  (Read 1314 times)

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
Mice and the shanty
« on: Sep 07, 2015, 02:35 PM »
Third year using dryer sheets to combat the rodents. Thought I was over doing it with so many. They must have gotten immune to them or something now I have A few small holes to repair.   Hoping for ice holes not mouse holes.
:icefish:

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Mice and the shanty
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2015, 02:47 PM »
I just picked up a used snowmobile and the old-timer (69) had a single dryer sheet over the Air-box. I siai I heard good and not so good stories about dryer sheets, he then told me the dry sheet has to be "BOUNCE" it is the only one that works.  Next time to store I will get the BOUNCE dryer sheet and try it myself here.

I mostly use mouse traps loaded with Peanut Butter all year around... but they still like to get on top my 2008 Toyota Highlander Engine and Inside my Yamaha 2006 Rhino UTV battery box... BETTER there than my Frabill Shanty (Lucky so far here).

Bless

Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2015, 02:53 PM »
The holes are small, caught them early, will have to remember the bounce brand. Like the dryer sheets more than moth balls for sure!
:icefish:

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2015, 03:31 PM »
The holes are small, caught them early, will have to remember the bounce brand. Like the dryer sheets more than moth balls for sure!

I CAN CONFIRM that moth balls are NOT effective for mice here in Northern Michigan.  I had them (moth balls) in the UTV Battery box and on top of the Toyota Engine block.

FYI
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2015, 05:44 PM »
12 years and counting.  Nothing seems to work better.      ;)2

http://www.bird-x.com/transonic-pro-products-71.php?page_id=137

Offline Cfilbert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2015, 06:03 PM »
I had the sonic that idahogator posted.  Didn't work the cabin.  Decon worked really good.
Is the ice thick enough yet?

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2015, 06:55 AM »
the dryer sheet thing is an urban myth. they won't keep mice from anything. I've seen mice make nests out of the things. Moth balls work for a short time but mice get used to them too.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2015, 07:42 AM »
2 Cats work fairly well.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2015, 08:03 AM »
2 Cats work fairly well.

I got 2 cats. useless lazy critters. mouse traps and peanut butter work better.

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2015, 09:43 AM »
I got 2 cats. useless lazy critters. mouse traps and peanut butter work better.
:roflmao: :roflmao: ;D
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2015, 06:32 PM »
 I was in the store today and seen "Bounce" Dryer Sheets and was racking my brain about why it was stuck in my head as important... then BAM it hit me Iceshanty dot com and this thread.  Well I have 2 HOTSPOTS for mice homes (My UTV Battery Box and on top of my 2008 Highlander Engine Block but under the cover).

So my Experiment has began.  I will report the results over the next 9+ months :)

Bless
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Sep 23, 2015, 09:05 AM »
Peppermint oil. Get an old glas salt shaker and fill it with cotton balls. Add a few drops of peppermint oil.  Keeps mice out of RVs so should work for other things as well.  Also heard that Irish Spring original bar soap is another smell that they can's stand.

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 2015, 06:01 PM »
UPDATE:

Been about 6 weeks and this time of year getting colder they start to move into my 2 HotSpots.  Well I placed 4 to 6 Bounce Dryersheets in each spot and so far so good.  I am starting to believe the Bounce Dryersheet the oldtimmer told me about (time will tell) :)

So now I am working on my New To Me Craiglist Yamaha Vmax 500 snowmobile and I see "mouse evidence" and last eve, I warmed it up for like 20 minutes then placed my mouse traps in the engine before dark and ...BAM got one last night :).  I will continue to run my Warm Sled Engine and Traps as long as it produces a body-count!!!

Maybe a Moderator or Admin can pull this out or PIN a New Thread about our OFF ICE mice adventures?

Bless
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2015, 07:15 AM »
been using dryer sheets forever, whatever kind the ole lady has. Don't just use one, I throw about 6 into the tub of my flip over, just as many under the cover and hood of my snowmobile. Peanut butter is the best bait for traps, but only if you can access then and not have to tear something apart, or take a cover off. Good luck with the war.

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2015, 07:41 AM »
Try freezer grade glue board traps. They won't repell the mice, but they will catch the once that get in.
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2015, 08:06 AM »
Peanut butter is the best bait for traps, but only if you can access then and not have to tear something apart, or take a cover off.
And only if you can put the traps where your nosey dog can't get to it.....Snap, YIP! ;D
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2015, 08:13 AM »
the dogs have learned fast not to mess with the traps, only takes one time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.