Author Topic: What reel to get for new ice rod ??  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Cold front

• IceShanty Rookie
What reel to get for new ice rod ??
« on: Sep 01, 2015, 06:32 PM »
I just got my first Dh custom rod al dente noodle 25 inch, was thinking putting a spinning Pflueger Trion size 20, but was thinking on going with a straight line reel or fly rod reel set up? any suggestions on what reel I would want to look at . And not sure how to attach them on the cork handle, Tape or with the bands?

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What reel to get for new ice rod ??
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2015, 09:49 PM »
tape, cold snap bands, rubber O-rings - they all work
The Trions are very nice (I have 3 size 30's, 1 25 and a 20) and cost effective - you might want to clean up the factory grease and use a light precision machine oil or Quantum Hot Sauce

If you choose inline - do not buy one without giving it a test drive in the store. The common CGI, Eagle Claw, etc inlines have some bad quality control issues but the good reels work well and last quite a while.

Catchin' Fish

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2015, 03:02 AM »
Cgrtz on the new rod.

Reel...lots to choose from.  And also don't limit yourself to just one type of reel.  Try various ones that let's your hands feel at its most comfort.

Although there is a learning curve and some challenges with a fly reel, it can be equally rewarding and fun as well. 

I personally prefer a baitcasting reel, but that's me.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Cold front

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2015, 05:49 AM »
OK thanks !! cant wait to get out this winter !!

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2015, 10:09 AM »
You really don't need to spend more than $30 on a reel if you generally after panfish. I'm mainly talking about spinning reels. The trion is fine, sienna is good, president and Sedona are a bit more but very good. Don't overlook the Tica Cetus reels. The GV500 is about $30 and after cleaning out the grease and lubing with Hot Sauce it is very nice. Good luck with the noodle rod. DH noodle blank is best on the market in my opinion. I build many rods for guys using that blank.

Offline IceGunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2015, 10:53 AM »
I picked up the eagle claw inline (pink) at cabelas, late season, marked down to $19.  Originally got it for my daughter but I used it and love it.  Have only used it 3 trips but it certainly was more reel than I expected.   I will be buying a couple more for sure.  Unless someone recommends an inline at comparable cost that is better.  I use it only when targeting pan fish.
In God We Trust

Offline Cold front

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2015, 12:40 PM »
Ok thanks sounds good

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2015, 12:47 PM »
I got a DH Custom Al Dente last year and put a Sienna on it, it works great so I replaced a few other reels with Siennas too

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 03, 2015, 08:54 AM »
Phlueger president.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 03, 2015, 05:17 PM »
I just got my first Dh custom rod al dente noodle 25 inch, was thinking putting a spinning Pflueger Trion size 20, but was thinking on going with a straight line reel or fly rod reel set up? any suggestions on what reel I would want to look at . And not sure how to attach them on the cork handle, Tape or with the bands?

The cold snap bands(castration rings picked up at a farm supply store where you get 100 rings for $1) Are ok, but can be to tight and dig into a cork handle. it happens more so on the cheaper cork handles. Also they loose strength over time and become brittle.  I personally like tommy tape that only tapes to itself and feel it works the best.

What kind of fishing are you doing with the noodle? If your fishing panfish in 10 foot and under, just a simple straight line Black Betty, code blue, or fly reel works well and keeps the line twist off the panfish lures. For finessing panfish With little bumps and jiggles its hard to beat.

If your deeper water I'd look at the geared in line reels, and would look more towards the higher end ones with a good drag system. I found they work great for getting lures up and down, and keeping line twist to a min. I tried one of the high end eagle claws and liked it, but had to return it because the drag was really poor.

Offline Cold front

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Sep 03, 2015, 05:34 PM »
Ya mostly panfish in the 10 depth range

Offline Cold front

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Sep 03, 2015, 05:40 PM »
Ya the tommy tape, is cool might have to try it

Offline RapidsJigger24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 03, 2015, 07:08 PM »
For spinning reels, the Shimano Sienna is tough to beat for the price as others have mentioned.

If you are looking at geared inline reels, check out the Ice Hopper Extreme line for Sportsmens Direct.  The newest model has a free-spool option, but I personally like the older model better.  They have a great drag system and are a steal when they go on sale!
"Got me a marlin!"

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #13 on: Sep 03, 2015, 07:35 PM »
Pflueger® Trion® Spinning Reel good stuff! no problems ever from any of them. i run 5 of them. no need to clean/oil/tear down or replace oils/grease. two of use them about 6 days a week for at least 4 hours a day.

i tried eagle claw in-line junk and sold asap.
i don't want to pull line to get my jig where i want it.

open face only, but might try one of my spare fly reels for kicks this season in one of my shanty's where the line won't freeze like they do on in-lines.

If you are looking at geared inline reels, check out the Ice Hopper Extreme line for Sportsmens Direct.  The newest model has a free-spool option, but I personally like the older model better.  They have a great drag system and are a steal when they go on sale!

they were just on sale @31$ from 39$ probably still on sale.

Offline stpaulslouch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 03, 2015, 08:05 PM »
In your case I would buy 2.  A cheap inline(Frabill or other)  and a cheap spinning (Shimano Sienna).  This way you'll be prepared if you do take it for deeper water fishing.  I use bands on rods I swap reels out on and good electrical tape on those I don't.  I found that Tommy Tapenis a bit bulky when wrapped on and actually left indents from the reel seat.

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Sep 03, 2015, 08:18 PM »
I just did a bunch of online research and ordered 2 of these:  http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/ice-fishing/rods-reels-tip-ups%7C/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/104543280/no-8-tackle-co-cold-gear-in-line-ice-reel/1866437.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Frods-reels-tip-ups%2F_%2FN-1100502%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104543280

The overall number of features for the Buck is hard too beat.  Sorry Frabill and Eagle Claw.... you need to UP your game!!!  Lastly the Mr. Gentz Inlines are no better then the E.C. or Frabill either.

Bless
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 03, 2015, 08:21 PM »
Ya mostly panfish in the 10 depth range

Then my suggestion would be the straight line fly wheels. My preference was the Black Betty or Code blue from no8 tackle. If you get one get the fender for when you palm grip it.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 03, 2015, 08:23 PM »
I just did a bunch of online research and ordered 2 of these:  http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/ice-fishing/rods-reels-tip-ups%7C/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/104543280/no-8-tackle-co-cold-gear-in-line-ice-reel/1866437.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Frods-reels-tip-ups%2F_%2FN-1100502%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104543280

The overall number of features for the Buck is hard too beat.  Sorry Frabill and Eagle Claw.... you need to UP your game!!!  Lastly the Mr. Gentz Inlines are no better then the E.C. or Frabill either.

Bless

I found the drag on those to be jumpy no different then the wright and McGill eagle claw version.

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Sep 03, 2015, 08:33 PM »
I found the drag on those to be jumpy no different then the wright and McGill eagle claw version.

Thanks for the Heads Up... I will test it throughly... and if Jumpy Drag I can either RETURN or MODIFY.  I prefer the latter and have several ticks up my sleeve based on the internals.

Bless
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Sep 04, 2015, 11:20 AM »
From my experience plfuegers really don't hold up well in the cold, the drags get really sticky and and gears start to stick. I have had really good luckwith my shimano sedonas 3 seasons and they still work like the day I bought them and I fish 4-5 day a week.

Offline Bumski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Sep 04, 2015, 03:35 PM »
From my experience plfuegers really don't hold up well in the cold, the drags get really sticky and and gears start to stick.

Yep Plfuegers use a grease that is too thick but I always re-lube my reels with Hot Sauce and no troubles......that and I never have drag issues with any reel...I don't use it...I prefer back-reeling if necessary...or my rod does the work..
Smoothness is the key for me... :) 

Tommy (silicone) tape for me...with 1 wrap of Electrical tape for me...

Offline Cold front

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Sep 04, 2015, 05:39 PM »
Thanks for the info !!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 04, 2015, 09:58 PM »
If the oiled felt drag on a pflueger or shimano reel is bad in the cold weather just open it up and separate the felts and steels, clean the steels off and reoil the felts. I've heard stories of them freezing up due to moisture being trapped inside but I've never had a problem with mine

Catchin' Fish

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #23 on: Sep 04, 2015, 10:45 PM »
If the oiled felt drag on a pflueger or shimano reel is bad in the cold weather just open it up and separate the felts and steels, clean the steels off and reoil the felts. I've heard stories of them freezing up due to moisture being trapped inside but I've never had a problem with mine

last winter I took a few different reels apart and cleaned up re oiled them........wow smooth was an understatement

Offline Cold front

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Sep 05, 2015, 01:28 PM »
Thanks for the tip

Offline TheMainah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Sep 05, 2015, 06:17 PM »
Pflueger President all day
There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.