Author Topic: Ice rod storage ?  (Read 2302 times)

Offline Cold front

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice rod storage ?
« on: Aug 31, 2015, 07:46 PM »
Was wondering, who makes a nice ice rod case? Ben using a bucket last year, but now I got 2 rods that are nicer, and Id like to get something better to take them out in, to help avoid  breaking tips ext. I'm sure using buckets are fine just have to be careful.

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice rod storage ?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2015, 07:47 PM »
Otter makes a real nice set up
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline Cold front

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2015, 07:54 PM »
I'm liking that otter sportsman case! thanks for the info.

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2015, 07:57 PM »
I use an arrow case

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2015, 08:42 PM »
I've gone through no less than a dozen cases, bags, buckets, baskets and so on. My usual quiver consists of 6 Heritage Laker traps and two ice rods, one is a 24" micro lite and the other is a 28" medium for laker jigging. Last year I used one of the common HT Tackle rod bags which is sold for like $22 and it's been great. It's light and has one big pocket in the middle that the Lakers fit in just barely as long as I pack it right, and two pockets on each side which I put a jig rod in each. I like how small and easy to carry in the truck and then house and I haven't broken a rod tip yet! I usually break at least one a season due to how I carry my gear.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2015, 10:10 PM »

Catchin' Fish

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2015, 11:12 PM »
I own the otter rod case and like it a lot. If I had to do it all over again I would choose the Frabill Heavy Duty Ice Rod Case. I don't like the handle design on the Otter. I prefer the Frabill handle. They`re not cheap but if you look online you can find better deals.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2015, 12:24 AM »
The Frabill 42" heavy duty rod case looks like the Popemobile for ice fishing rods. That's what I am going to get. I have broken my last rod in transport.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 01, 2015, 09:34 AM »
I just use my rifle case only costs 20$ and fits my 36" rods well. only problem is you have to fold the reel handles back since they stick up too high. was able to fit 6 rods and reels in one case.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Sep 01, 2015, 09:43 AM »
I have the Striker Ice Transporter bag...holds/stores 5 rods nicely ..has 4 storage compartments for tackle/boxes along with a large center storage that I use for snacks ...extra clothing etc

http://www.strikerice.com/index.php/accessories/item/36-transporter

I also have the Frabill rod locker first/smaller version ...that is also nice .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 01, 2015, 09:52 AM »
Don't forget the ice fishing innovations case. Bulletproof and great for off season storage. Not cheap though!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Sep 01, 2015, 10:12 AM »
im still using my clam rod locker after 4 years and no broken rods.its okay but its to much money for  what it is.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2015, 11:23 AM »

I have Frabil's rod case, it can hold up to 5 rods, I carry 3 Laker rods a 2 pan fish rods. You need collapsible cranks to get
            them in. There is no movement at all. It looks over crowded but really isn't.

IW

Offline dangle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 01, 2015, 02:30 PM »
I found this gun case at walmart. has lots of storage for tackle , munchies, or what ever [every thing in one case]. I cut some golf club tubes to hold the poles. has a shoulder strap or what I do is hang it on the back pole of my flip over [nanook], and every thing is easy to get to.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #14 on: Sep 01, 2015, 02:56 PM »
I have an AK soft case like that...you have definitely hit on something there dangle...thanks for sharing.
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline Cold front

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Sep 01, 2015, 03:24 PM »
Thanks for all the info, Dangle I like the set up ya got !!

Offline theripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Sep 01, 2015, 08:12 PM »
I have the Striker Ice Transporter bag...holds/stores 5 rods nicely ..has 4 storage compartments for tackle/boxes along with a large center storage that I use for snacks ...extra clothing etc

http://www.strikerice.com/index.php/accessories/item/36-transporter

I also have the Frabill rod locker first/smaller version ...that is also nice .

Offline Mncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Sep 01, 2015, 08:21 PM »
I have a cabelas soft padded ase. Fits 2 in there with no tangling, broken tips. and its really light and quick packing. great for hole hopping. comes with a pocket inside for a jig box
Just a teen who loves the outdoors

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.