The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Got every drop of fun out of vacation! (As seen on MFF)  (Read 1302 times)

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
Thought that the Ice Shanty crew might want to read my soft water story.

On the last day of summer vacation I decided to head over to the lake behind my Grandparents house and fish off of their neighbors dock. Ended up being a very productive day! I arrived at the dock feeling good about the day ahead. With a low pressure system moving in, all of the fish were on the move. The first thing that I did was throw on a crawler and a bobber and get a couple seeds and perch under my belt to get the skunk off the dock. It was then that I changed tactics and started throwing hard baits for whatever would bite. On the first cast with a **********, I watched a pickerel launch out of a weed patch and smash my lure ambitiously and dart back into the weeds. I have to say that it was good to see that there were some fish in the area and that they were hungry, this isn't always the case with Arrowhead. Two casts later, I had the first pickerel of the day on the dock. After that, I threw on a ***** *******  and caught a little northern and a foot long largemouth. An hour later, with the fish not cooperating, the rain started to pick up. I wasn't going to let the rain ruin my last day of summer vacation, so I fished on into the rain. For some unknown reason, fate maybe, I had a sudden urge to put my ***** ******* back on. Suddenly, a fish snatched my bait. I could feel the fish on the end of my line and wasn't really sure what it was. As I stared into the rain rippled water to spot my quarry, it broke the surface. With a paper thin mouth, and scales speckled in a stunning pattern of black and silver, the Crappie tried to shake the hook in it's desperate jump for freedom. (To be honest with you my heart started pumping a little faster once I saw that it was a crappie, there's something mysterious about this elusive fish that truly intrigues me!) Once I got the fish to shore I delicately pulled it out of the water and flung it up onto the shore.

My new personal best crappie measured in at 10 1/2 inches! It was a great morning indeed!

Part 2: That Afternoon

After putting a PB and J in the tank, I headed back down to the dock. The rain had stopped and I was hoping that the bite hadn't yet. I only caught 3 fish that afternoon, and I'll skip the part where I tried every lure in my tackle bag and just get to the good part.
It was probably around three in the afternoon by the time I hooked up with a fish. I could tell that this was a good fish, just by the strong head shakes. As the fish neared the dock, I noticed that it was hugging the bottom closely, which is a problem in this weed infested area. As I tried to bring the fish to the surface, I saw the distinctive flash of a golden Walleye! I carefully brought the fish into shore and snaked it up onto dry ground. Although the 17.5 walleye wasn't the biggest one I've caught, I still was amazed that I caught it from a dock in 6 FOW!(BY THE WAY, I RELEASED THE WALLEYE.)
 It wasn't until this point in time that I noticed that I only had to catch a smallmouth bass in order to have landed almost every species of fish in this body of water in a single day! I examined my tackle and selected a bass jig that I thought would be suitable for smallmouth. God must of been having a good day that day, because, wouldn't you know, a smallmouth sucked up the jig on the first cast!!! He was only a 14 incher, if you saw me jumping for joy on that dock, you would've thought I just caught a state record. It was one of my best days out on the water, and it just goes to show that you don't need a fancy boat to catch fish, just a good day and perseverance.

Fish Tally for the Day:
- 1 Smallmouth
- 2 Largemouth
- 1 Walleye
- 1 Crappie
- 1 Pickerel
- 1 Northern
- 1 Golden Shiner
- A couple Yellow Perch
- 1 Bluegill
- 1 Rock Bass
- A couple Pumpkinseeds
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Got every drop of fun out of vacation! (As seen on MFF)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2015, 08:54 PM »
That was a monster day!! Congratulations....

Offline BomoBrown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2015, 03:58 AM »
Great story, great fishing!  They were biting on Tues. down here as well but I only caught bass and crappies.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2015, 06:16 AM »
Great write up PB! A pleasure to read, your descriptions are excellent!

What a great way to end the summer vaca, congrats on an epic day  :tipup:

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2015, 08:55 AM »
Nice fish
Good to see a young person so passionate about fishing.
Thanks for sharing.
That's a really nice largemouth
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2015, 09:39 AM »
very cool, Congrats on your great day out! You have a talent at writing, I hope you run with it in your classes. Best of luck this year. Be Great!

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2015, 09:14 AM »
Very nice catch PB!
Awesome to haul in all those different fish in one outing.

BTW, you & Matt L should think about starting a blog together, you both have a knack for writing good stories.
Maybe you 2 could become the next Bobby & Dylan writing team...

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2015, 10:21 AM »
Thanks for your comments. Only a couple more months before the water hardens up. Can't think about that right now though, only 4 days until squirrel season! I think that squirrel hunting is a great way  to relax, especially if you know of some good spots. Good luck and tight lines for the rest of the open water season, PB.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2015, 08:28 AM »
Congratulations on a great day!  You should submit your story to a fishing magazine.  I bet they would like it.  I hope the hard water treats you as well this year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.