The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Eskimo Wide1 Thermal Anybody Have One?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline WestSideAl8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pants up, don't loot!
Eskimo Wide1 Thermal Anybody Have One?
« on: Aug 23, 2015, 01:29 PM »
I am looking at buying a one man shanty for the days I will be fishing solo. Does anybody have one of the Eskimo's Wide1? I like the fact that it expands as I use a heater and a flasher. I have a Shappell DX4000 and love the size of it when fishing with my wife or a friend, but it is a pain to set up by yourself some times.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Eskimo Wide1 Thermal Anybody Have One?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2015, 02:50 PM »
I don't have one but ive checked out my bro in laws that he got last year as he put it thru its paces.the only things I saw was that the expander bar freezes up which isn't to big of a deal and the chair doesn't swivel and all metal which has some weight to it.but it started to make me consider a insulated flipover..no condensation dripping on me is nice and the heat stays in unlike my frabill commando or shappell fx100.

Offline Hardwaterluver

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2015, 05:17 PM »
I got one two years ago, Black Friday sale. I love it, so much easier to haul around when out by myself. Have had the spreader freeze up but not a huge ordeal.
If your gonna be dumb..........you'd better be tough.

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2015, 07:43 AM »
I have one and love it! 

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2015, 09:39 AM »
I also have one and have no problems with it. I heard about the problems with the extender freezing up so the first thing I did before I assembled the sled was work on that. I sanded off the rough edges on the male end and ran some emery cloth through the female end until they slid together smoothly. Then I coated the male end with synthetic grease (Mobil One) and worked them together a few times. It hasn't frozen up on me so far.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2015, 12:51 PM »
I have one and love it. I did have a problem with female expanding bar getting bent making it difficult to push back in. I'm pretty sure I solved that issue by putting a solid metal bar on the inside. I don't think it was cause of the manufacturer though. I think that it might have been getting bent cause it was a tight fit in my car. I didn't even feel the need to run a heater since it was plenty warm for me to fish without gloves. If you do run a heater use one that doesn't put out a lot of BTU's otherwise you will feel like you are in a sweat lodge.

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2015, 02:17 PM »
I looked at them and almost purchased one, some guy has a great video on YouTube on it. I went with the Shapell Bay Runner, it worked better for me,  it the wide one is solid

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2015, 08:47 PM »
look at the shappell fx100 if you want light weight, but needs a little help after you get one. no back rest seat and if your tall around 6 feet tall, you'll want to lower the bench seat before adding a bleacher seat. i like the 600 denier fabric used. adding runners to the bottom of what ever you buy will make it much easier to pull and save the bottom of the tub.

I don't have one but ive checked out my bro in laws that he got last year as he put it thru its paces.the only things I saw was that the expander bar freezes up which isn't to big of a deal and the chair doesn't swivel and all metal which has some weight to it.but it started to make me consider a insulated flipover..no condensation dripping on me is nice and the heat stays in unlike my frabill commando or shappell fx100.

try reflectix on the inside roof sections. use velcro and make slits right where the bars touch it for the velcro to wrap around the bar and in and around the reflectix. i made it slighty wider than the roof so it comes down the walls a tad. i had no condensation on my roof since i've added it to my fx100. i ran it from the tub to the front top bar over the door. also i added flowable silicon to the wall to roof seams to water proof them. all i have to do still is make a storm flap for the outside of the windows. i have a few ideas.

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2015, 07:09 AM »
I have had no problems.

Offline WestSideAl8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pants up, don't loot!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 08, 2015, 08:19 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I have an 8x8 Argo so pulling around a little extra weight isn't a problem. Good idea on using the emery cloth and lube on the slides. As I said this would be for my solo trips as setting up my Shappell DX4000 solo is a pain. Looking forward to hitting the ice this year!

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #10 on: Oct 08, 2015, 10:50 PM »
I got one last year, and recommend it. You might have to do some jerry riggin, but nothing major. Could fit 2 people if you wanted to, just have to sit at opposite ends and fish the middle.
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.