Author Topic: Warmest ice suit  (Read 12822 times)

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
Warmest ice suit
« on: Aug 22, 2015, 09:52 PM »
I'll be looking for a suit for me and the girl this year.

Wanting opinions on which suits you think are the warmest and which ones to stay away from. We do a lot of fishing in cold cold weather and hole hop in windy conditions. Are the float suits warm and worth the money?
KCCO

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Warmest ice suit
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2015, 10:22 PM »
I have the striker brand predator suit and I love it!!! I rarely wear the jacket because most of the time I get to hot. Outstanding quality!!!!
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2015, 11:12 PM »
I would agree with the striker ice suits. The Striker Hardwater is probably more of what you're looking for though, it will definitely keep you warm in about any condition, plus with bringing kids on the ice you have the ease of mind that it has built in flotation.

Offline c_becker11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2015, 06:02 AM »
+1 For Striker Ice...I bought mine a couple years ago and this is what the salesman said:

Salesman: "The only complaint we have with these suits is that they are too hot"
Me: (Laughing with a grin, thinking it was a joke)
Salesman: "No I'm serious, most people return the jacket because the bibs themselves are hot enough"

Flash forward to now, I own just the bibs and yep! They are hot enough on their own!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2015, 09:31 AM »
the striker ice hardwater coat is like wearing a  hot furnace but it breathes good.i rarely wear the coat. my  striker ice lite jacket is perfect for warmth though.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2015, 11:22 AM »
 another one for the hardwater bibs...don't need much of a jacket overtop them babies.

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2015, 12:34 PM »
Great thread, this was next on my list of ice fishing gear.  Was checking these out last year at end of season. Was looking at hard water outfit, if the bibs are hot enough, what type jacket you wearing over this.  Is it the predator jacket?   Me and the boy are warm blooded so it has to be pretty cold for us not to handle it. One other question is how about the flotation with just the bibs on?

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2015, 12:49 PM »
Great thread, this was next on my list of ice fishing gear.  Was checking these out last year at end of season. Was looking at hard water outfit, if the bibs are hot enough, what type jacket you wearing over this.  Is it the predator jacket?   Me and the boy are warm blooded so it has to be pretty cold for us not to handle it. One other question is how about the flotation with just the bibs on?

You can wear any jacket (I.e. An old hunting jacket), just wear a decent baselayer. The reason the bibs are important to be ice fishing specific is the reinforced knees and waterproof denier that allows you to kneel in slush without getting absolutely soaked.

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 2015, 01:57 PM »
Just the bibs will provide flotation but but it will be flotation you probably don't want with your bottom half floating and not your top.
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #9 on: Aug 23, 2015, 02:33 PM »
I have the Striker Climate suit and it is so warm and windproof that I didn't deploy my flip-over once last winter. I just put my back to the wind and put the hood up. I guess in the mornings I could be using the shack to keep my line from freezing, but that's all.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #10 on: Aug 23, 2015, 03:30 PM »
i'd like to rephrase your question about is a float suit worth the money.

is your money worth any thing if your not able to float?

i have 3 ice suits, 1st being the clam ice armor, its just ok but no float (didn't know they made them when i bought it and now its for plowing snow in only), 2nd is artic armor but not that warm and floats the best and then the last purchase was striker hardwater being it has the most insulation in it over all of their suits and i want the warmest and floatation. i bought two of these suits. one for me and the other for the spouse.
i tested the artic armor coat and it works very well when falling thru unexpectedly. safed my life. aritc armor runs big and so cold air gets up in the coat and my shoulders get cold when theres no sun to warm the suit any. i would bring a down vest for when the sun sits to battle that problem. no problem with the striker hardwater being too cold. just hands feet and face is all that gets cold now.

so to answer your other question, striker hardwater makes the warmest ice suit that floats.
they make the lady's version, but not as warm and their bibs are weird and their sizes run small, just a heads up for your lady. the bib is cut low like a pant cut and does not go up the back at all, only goes up the front.
i bought ours on black friday sales at dicks sports 20% off. free ship both ways.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Aug 23, 2015, 03:42 PM »
I have a Striker Ice Climate ...defiantly warm ...and breathes . Other members have stated the Artic Armor doesn't breathe . I don't know of any members review of Clams float suit ...this year Clam has youth and female options available .
 Non floating
http://clamoutdoors.com/store/icearmor/outerwear/parkas/icearmor-women-s-extreme-weather-parkas.html

floating
http://clamoutdoors.com/store/icearmor/outerwear/suits/icearmor-women-s-lift-suit.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline djlangen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Aug 23, 2015, 06:20 PM »
I bought the Striker Hardwater suit during this offseason, and if first impressions mean anything, then it is heads and shoulders above my Arctic Armor suit in terms of quality and warmth. I actually plan on keeping my Arctic Armor suit and wearing it on days on which the temperature is around freezing or above. I've read in quite of few past threads that the only drawback on the Striker Hardwater is that it is too warm!

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Aug 23, 2015, 07:48 PM »
Are far as warmest goes, an good one piece suit would be best
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Aug 23, 2015, 09:36 PM »
Hey jigging Iowa I guess I worded wrong, I know any hunting jacket will do I was just wondering if you went with a lighter jacket from striker.  I do a lot of archery hunting so I do know the importance of base layering, I'm looking for a good suit for ice fishing so I don't ruin my hunting outfits.  Noticed last year on the ice being on my knees getting wet and how part of the material from my pants were getting left behind on the ice.  Are the striker hard water bibs water proof?  Want to get a good outfit for me and the boy, just feel good knowing he has the flotation on.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Aug 23, 2015, 09:44 PM »

great video to most questions
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
« Reply #16 on: Aug 23, 2015, 10:29 PM »
Your absolutely right and didn't think about that. If you need life jackets during the summer on the boat, why wouldn't you want the same safety on hard water. Stupid question of me. After doing my research and your guys inputs I think I'll go with the striker hard water. Just a little sad that they don't make the ladies suits just as warm. Does striker think women don't ice fish to?

i'd like to rephrase your question about is a float suit worth the money.

is your money worth any thing if your not able to float?

i have 3 ice suits, 1st being the clam ice armor, its just ok but no float (didn't know they made them when i bought it and now its for plowing snow in only), 2nd is artic armor but not that warm and floats the best and then the last purchase was striker hardwater being it has the most insulation in it over all of their suits and i want the warmest and floatation. i bought two of these suits. one for me and the other for the spouse.
i tested the artic armor coat and it works very well when falling thru unexpectedly. safed my life. aritc armor runs big and so cold air gets up in the coat and my shoulders get cold when theres no sun to warm the suit any. i would bring a down vest for when the sun sits to battle that problem. no problem with the striker hardwater being too cold. just hands feet and face is all that gets cold now.

so to answer your other question, striker hardwater makes the warmest ice suit that floats.
they make the lady's version, but not as warm and their bibs are weird and their sizes run small, just a heads up for your lady. the bib is cut low like a pant cut and does not go up the back at all, only goes up the front.
i bought ours on black friday sales at dicks sports 20% off. free ship both ways.
KCCO

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Aug 23, 2015, 10:57 PM »
When is the best times to grab these suits?  And where. It's going to be hard water suits for us.
What about getting the wife a hard water suit? And does anyone in Northeast PA carry these suits so you can see and try them on?

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #18 on: Aug 24, 2015, 01:42 AM »
I see I'm a little late posting in this thread. Back in 2008 I purchased the Arctic Armor jacket and bibs at that time never heard of Striker Ice line of clothing. I have met Hardwater Diehard and seen his suit also know another Ice Shanty member who has the Striker Hard water suit.Like Hardwater Diehard posted the Arctic Armor jacket does not move moisture to the outer surface of jacket that well I usually end up with a damp/wet back. Also on my bibs the leg zippers only go to the knee and have internal gaiters. The gaiters do not allow me to put on my boots and then the bibs. In my opinion Striker has better features such as under arm vents, legs on bibs zip open to the waist, inseam on bib legs is adjustable. My advice to anyone considering the purchase of a ice fishing suit floating or non floating is to go to a retailer/dealer and try on in person bring your heaviest base and mid layers to get a good idea on size of jacket/bibs you need for proper fit.
Also remember most of the ice fishing suit with floatation are not approved as personal floatation devices by the U.S. Coast Guard . So you will need an additional vest/jacket when fishing open water in colder weather.   
Thearcher1340 and anyone else looking to purchase a ice fishing float suit visit the manufacturer's website most have dealer/retailer locate feature.

Striker Ice www.strikerice.com
          Arctic Armor  www.idigear.com    Clam  www.clamcorp.com

Steve

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Aug 24, 2015, 07:32 AM »
Striker Hardwater gets my vote!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #20 on: Aug 24, 2015, 07:45 AM »
sponsors sells out quick at end of season, but best to shop them 1st as they support this site.

just ran a quick web search and found them.

free ship, no tax and a small price break

mens
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/180-0017745-2656575?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=Striker+Ice+HardWater

btw, i always buy black for the free solar heat. same with shanty/hub roofs.

ladies (if you don't buy the mens for her)
coat
http://www.amazon.com/Striker-Ice-Womens-Prism-Jacket/dp/B00GW6P722/ref=sr_1_6?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1440420211&sr=1-6&keywords=Striker+Ice
bibs
http://www.amazon.com/Striker-Ice-Womens-Prism-Grey/dp/B00GW86QFW/ref=sr_1_9?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1440420211&sr=1-9&keywords=Striker+Ice

i see the specs again and see they are almost as warm as the mens, but the fabric is about half as thin as the mens.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.