Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: decisions on a one man  (Read 1439 times)

Offline swiafishingfool

• IceShanty Rookie
decisions on a one man
« on: Aug 22, 2015, 07:41 PM »
Quick flip or  pole extension? I want both cause i fish both styles but im wondering which clam one man gives me the best all around house for my money

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: decisions on a one man
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2015, 08:00 PM »
Clam fan here.  I had the Dave Gentz Legend Thermal and absolutely loved it but......I ended up trading it to my friend for a Clam Scout XLTC due mostly to the fact that I do tournaments and I hated spending all the time to collapse the poles on the Legend.  It was a great shack and loved the space but there is something to say about being able just flip the shack over and fish. So I vote for Legend overall b.ut if you are constantly moving I like the scout due to the low profile/light weight/pole setup.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2015, 08:55 PM »
I wish I could help but I got the bigmouth and they don't make it anymore. It doesn't have any tray or accessories molded into the tub so that might be something to look for cuz I wish it did. Also, make sure you get a thermal. It'll cost more but it'll be worth it.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2015, 11:18 PM »
I would get the one that is insulated and has full length poles. I don't know the name and am too lazy to Google it. I was all set to buy that one last winter but I thought another local shop might have the Otter one man on sale and he did. If he hadn't, I would have that clam. Good luck
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2015, 08:06 AM »
My concerns are weight , fishable area with height to set the hook, simplicity to move without pole dealings. Maybe insulation but my main concern was just to get a break from the wind after last year, maybe I am getting old but it sure seemed like it was a excessively windy season. Ofcourse 40 times out you are going to hit some wind. I am leaning to the kenia right now but waiting to see if otter comes out with something new for this year.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2015, 08:36 AM »
Here's your Otter information on this years shelters. Check out the XT Hideout!!  :icefish:
http://www.otteroutdoors.com/portablefishhousepackages.html
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2015, 12:49 PM »
Well based on your criteria I would also look at the Shappel Bay Runner...I have one, love it...it is perfect for a one man + good for taking someone with you everyone in a while...easy set up....you can move without breaking down...it may be a good solution for u

Offline GB 83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2015, 04:03 PM »
Here's my 2cents. I bought the Clam Runner last yr. I like the room that it has in and under the seat. Like the height that it has. I am 6'1" and nice to stand straight up and down.The thermal is sweet. Dont have to deal with frozen clips or frozen pipes....again nice.
  One thing I don't like......... Is on a semi wind day. It's a must to use anchors! If not its a bear at times😉

Offline Hardwaterluver

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 2015, 05:13 PM »
Picked up a Eskimo two years ago, very happy with it. Lots of room, very lightweight and compact for packing up.
If your gonna be dumb..........you'd better be tough.

Offline ranger620

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2015, 06:29 PM »
bought 1200 otter love width and the sled had two years no issues yet. worth the extra money

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2015, 09:24 AM »
Picked up a Eskimo two years ago, very happy with it. Lots of room, very lightweight and compact for packing up.

Eskimo Wide One works for me. Lots of room for 1 man and warm.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.