Author Topic: Come On Ice!!!  (Read 2447 times)

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Come On Ice!!!
« on: Aug 17, 2015, 08:52 AM »
Wake boats, Jetskis, line ups at the launch, sunburns who needs it! j/k but I have to say the summer is my least favourite season to fish. Looking forward to the fall when the pleasure boats are put away and the fish are on the feed and of course after that comes my favourite season! talk to you in a few short months.
@jzuliniak

Offline pinky1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Come On Ice!!!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2015, 09:24 PM »
already caught myself standing in the garage looking at my hut...... even started up the auger.......... is that wrong?? haha

Offline chummyhole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2015, 03:56 PM »
Started building a dog sled style sleigh yesterday.    Been working  on sleds all summer.   I cracked open a couple cans of worms with that undercarrage rebuild.   Gonna put it back together tonight.   Been looking for an auger and hut all summer sold mine last march for a back up/parts sled.     The kijiji alerts are awsome

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2015, 06:56 PM »
What time of year do you guys typically get fishable ice? We come up every summer to the Silver Dollar area and have been talking about a winter trip to chase lakers, pike and walleye.

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2015, 02:26 PM »
What time of year do you guys typically get fishable ice? We come up every summer to the Silver Dollar area and have been talking about a winter trip to chase lakers, pike and walleye.
If you are talking Silver Dollar in NW Ont its a looooong way from where I am in SE Ont.  To give you an idea of the size of the province it would take me 20hrs driving to get there from my place!  I would estimate that area would have ice by mid november but there are a few people from NW Ont on this board so they would be able to give you a better answer
@jzuliniak

Offline chummyhole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2015, 07:47 AM »
Could be on simcoe by second week of December to first week of January.  Normally were on a few inches down here and my friend in temagami is pulling his permanent out.  4hr difference

Offline pinky1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2015, 06:33 PM »
last year I was on ice on a local small lake in november but I probably shouldn't have been.  Then it wasn't again on the same lake until Dec 22, after a warm spell...... you never know...  my hope is nov 1st hahaha ;D

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2015, 07:01 AM »
Starting to get the itch;  time to bed down the Kayak for the winter.  Checked out my smitty sled and touched up some paint spots.  I will start getting my baits in shape (sharpened) have to check the stores for new baits and white tubes. Any bets on when we get walkable ice here in SE Ontario?

Cheers Ron sends VVV
[img width=218 height=80]http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/431-s

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 30, 2015, 01:22 PM »
Any bets on when we get walkable ice here in SE Ontario?
I would say Dec 6th but only on a few early ice bays and small sheltered lakes
@jzuliniak

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2015, 02:55 PM »
I want the ice too, but Bay of Quinte is still hot on the 6th of December....!!!   2 years ago it was great, put the boat away on the 8th Dec and on the ice on the  17th Dec. Hope everyone has a great season!!!

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 03, 2015, 10:40 AM »
I want the ice too, but Bay of Quinte is still hot on the 6th of December....!!!   2 years ago it was great, put the boat away on the 8th Dec and on the ice on the  17th Dec. Hope everyone has a great season!!!
Ya I wouldnt consider Quinte an early ice bay thats for sure! within an hour drive of kingston there are a handful of small lakes and bays on bigger lakes that always freeze first. Water depth and more importantly protection from the wind are the keys to find early ice lakes.  I always do scouting around this time of year and I look for lakes that are in low lying areas and ideally the shores are lined with tall evergreen trees to keep the wind down. I don't want to think of the amount of gas money I have spent doing this scouting but its worth it to have a safe first ice spot.
@jzuliniak

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 03, 2015, 11:03 AM »
Few guys I know on the quinte board do the same, myself  I wait for safe ice and go from there, I'm not in a rush any more..  Use my smitty sled now wherever I go as well, helps distribute the weight and makes it so much easier. Got the auger going and the Striker suit cleaned up, now to get the lines changed out and sharpen the hooks...lol
Tim

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2015, 02:57 PM »
was out today on a kingston back lake that is always one of the last to freeze and the water temp never got above 47.  Lots of 1 and 2 degree nights in the 14 day forecast and even a few -numbers in there.  Lets hope it continues and we get some early Dec ice!
@jzuliniak

Offline IceFisher64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2015, 08:39 AM »
time to move ice gear to front of garage

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2015, 10:32 AM »
I would say Dec 6th but only on a few early ice bays and small sheltered lakes
Errr Jan 6th?? Maybe??
@jzuliniak

Offline ChaumontMasters

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2015, 11:39 PM »
Looking to head up to Ontario as soon as there is something fishable.. Was hoping the first half of January sometime. Total newbie on fishing up there, does anyone know of any lakes that tend to freeze earlier than others? I was looking to keep the drive to about ten hours (from Scranton,PA)
. Any info would be appreciated greatly
Chaumont Masters
    Master Class Outfitting

www.ChaumontMasters.co m
www.Facebook.com/ChaumontMasters

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2015, 09:49 AM »
Looking to head up to Ontario as soon as there is something fishable.. Was hoping the first half of January sometime. Total newbie on fishing up there, does anyone know of any lakes that tend to freeze earlier than others? I was looking to keep the drive to about ten hours (from Scranton,PA)
. Any info would be appreciated greatly
In a normal year you would have endless opportunities in southern ontario, Bay of Quite, Simcoe and a million different high quality fisheries but might be tough finding anything in the first half of Jan with this weather.  Your best bet would be North Bay which is about 9hrs from you, even then I would look to the second week of Jan.
@jzuliniak

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.