Author Topic: Polaris & Otter Mods  (Read 18355 times)

Offline aiathompson

• IceShanty Rookie
Polaris & Otter Mods
« on: Aug 07, 2015, 08:34 AM »
Quote from: mazak730 on Today at 12:15 AM
What else did you have to buy to mount that Otter Medium box on your sportsman? That has the lock and ride correct?
Also, is that the digger auger carrier on the front? did you just drill through the plastic and does it seem stable?
Thanks,

Mazak730, here are answers to your questions.

I did not use the Lock-n-Ride lugs to mount the Otter Box.   Using some off-the-shelf bolts, locknuts, fender washers, nylon spacers and knobs, I assembled them thru the lock-n-ride holes to create mounting points.  I can take the Otter Monster box off in a matter of 30 seconds.  Now I can use the mounting point to attach other items during the off season.   By placing a loose fender washer on top of the lock nut, my Otter Box sits about 1/2" above the rear deck.  I had to take the rear deck off, aligned it to the bottom of the Otter box to mark out the 6 holes to drill.

Steve Thompson
Otter Outdoors Pro-Staff
Tougher. Stronger. Smarter.

Offline aiathompson

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Polaris & Otter Mods
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2015, 08:43 AM »
Quote from: mazak730 on Today at 12:15 AM
What else did you have to buy to mount that Otter Medium box on your sportsman? That has the lock and ride correct?
Also, is that the digger auger carrier on the front? did you just drill through the plastic and does it seem stable?
Thanks,

As far as the Digger Auger mount, yes I drilled thru the cover and it's very stable.  I bought an extra front cover online since this was a brand new 2015 model.  What is not shown is a set of Koplin Single Rhino grips mounted to the front rack that holds my Dewalt drill/Lazer auger setup.   On the side of the Otter Box I also added a 3-Rod Rack cut in half to hold my hole hopping rods.  I like to stay really mobile and have set up everything where I can pack and move in a matter of minutes.

Steve Thompson
Otter Outdoors Pro-Staff

Offline aiathompson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2015, 08:50 AM »
Here are some of the other mods to the Polaris and Otter Monster box.

I added 3 small sets of LED lights to the inside of the box, one set on each of three sides and cut a small rocker switch into the lip of the box.  Works great at night loading everything up. 

I also added a 6-Rod Rack to the bottom side of the lid and then using mop-rack mounts to keep the rods in place.  i use this to hold some deadsticks that I have set-up for use with Arctic Warriors.

Then, on the side of the Otter Box, I've built a Milk-Crate box to hold a few miscellaneous items such as buckets or occasionally my Mr. Heater-Cooker.  I've bolted two crates together and then using some 1/2" thick birch lumber, I cut them to slide over the Otter Box side lugs.  Lifts on/off with ease.

Steve Thompson
Otter Outdoors Pro-Staff

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2015, 11:25 AM »
well done

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2015, 08:02 AM »
Well thought out out and designed, Awesome job!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2015, 12:14 PM »
Very nice!!!!
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2015, 05:58 PM »
Nice mods, like them.

Offline mazak730

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2015, 09:19 PM »
Awesome!
thanks for the great info.
I have a snowmobile but have been kicking the idea of buying a new quad. And I like the ground clearance of the sportsman over the Hondas.

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 2015, 09:45 PM »
How does your 570 perform when pulling all that weight in the sniw?I just picked uo a 570 sportsman and can't wait to get it out on the ice.
KCCO

Offline aiathompson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Aug 11, 2015, 07:12 AM »
How does your 570 perform when pulling all that weight in the sniw?I just picked uo a 570 sportsman and can't wait to get it out on the ice.

This one is a 2015 570 SP Touring.  I decided on the Touring because I have a young son who fishes me on occasions.  I was originally looking at an 850 EPS, but a buddy of mine who has an 800 convinced me to take a serious look at the 570 Touring.    I was a little skeptical at first, but then I realized the suspension is designed to carry two riders (which bodes well adding an Otter Box full of gear) and that the new 570 has 22% more horsepower than the older 500's. 

I ran it out for a little over 250 miles on the ice/snow last ice fishing season from glare ice to deep snow and down to temps of -24 below.  Not a single problem and that 570 has some pretty impressive power for being a single bore.  On several occasions, I've hauled two riders and two Shelters in tow and a full Otter Box and never noticed a drop in power.   Can't forget that single bore is easier on gas that those big bore doubles.

But for me, since this machine is used primarily for ice fishing it's works well for what I need.  All depends upon your needs if you need to go bigger.

Steve Thompson
Otter Outdoors Pro-Staff

Offline Ice_Addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Aug 13, 2015, 09:25 PM »
Hey Steve! Your mods look a lot like mine from last year. :)

I keep a foam pad bungeed to the underside of my lid. It helps my knees and keeps them dry when hole hopping. I mounted my light switch inside the box to protect it.

It hooks directly up to my ATV battery via the connector I use for my battery tender so it's easy to unplug when I take the box off.

I put a bungee cargo net on the top of my box to hold things in. Seems like my jacket or clothing goes in there most of the time.

I have since cut the rod holder in half like you did and used a Dremel to cut notches into the bottom half so I have two 3-rod holders.

I can haul a lot of crap. Haha!

Offline aiathompson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Aug 14, 2015, 06:04 AM »
Hey Steve! Your mods look a lot like mine from last year. :)

Hey Ice_Addict,  Great minds think alike!  I used 1/2" birch and cut the ends of the board that slides into the Otter lugs at 5-degree angles so that it slides all the way down.  I never thought about putting the rod holders on the crates.  Great idea!

I also used walk-off carpet on the inside bottom of mine.  As far as my light, I have a 12v battery velcro'd inside the front corner of the box for power so I don't have to run it off the ATV battery.  My luck I would forget turning off the light and come outside to a dead ATV.
Steve Thompson
Otter Outdoors Pro-Staff

Offline Ice_Addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Aug 14, 2015, 11:36 AM »
I like how you have your box attached to the ATV. Mine is similar, but not as easy to take on/off. Good call on the vex battery in the box to run your lights. I wired mine to the ATV because I figured it would have more than enough juice to power the LEDs for a long time. But I'm sure I will be buying a separate battery like you the first time I leave the light on by accident for a few days.

The Otter Box was well worth the cost. I can't wait to get it mounted up for this year!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2015, 06:44 AM »
I like your Lock n' Ride mount replacement.  Going to use it for this ice season.   @) :thumbsup:

Offline mazak730

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Aug 31, 2015, 04:24 PM »
how thick are those nylon bushings? i am going to make some up at work to save some money

Offline aiathompson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Aug 31, 2015, 09:17 PM »
how thick are those nylon bushings? i am going to make some up at work to save some money

They are 1" diameter to fit the lock-n-ride holes.  I don't recall the thickness but they were either 1/2" or 3/8" each.
Steve Thompson
Otter Outdoors Pro-Staff

Offline mazak730

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Sep 02, 2015, 03:01 AM »
I made some different style knobs. I counter bored the inside of the hole so that will go over the nyloc nut and tighten down on the box. Also added some holes for bungee tie down spots.

Offline mnhunter2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Sep 09, 2015, 11:59 AM »
Your changes look fine, I have a sportsman 550 with tracks and the otter box, mounted my digger on the front bumper so it's low enough to get the custom tarp over the whole rig. Like the rod holder out side but am worried about the one on the otter box cover, if it's full could you break a rod or reel when you close it?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #18 on: Sep 19, 2016, 09:00 AM »
Any more mods out there for the Otter Boxes?  I just ordered one and will be incorporating the mounting and some other stuff by the guys here.  :P  My ride is a '15 850 Polaris on tracks.  Been using Polaris and tracks on the ice for at least 8 years.

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Sep 19, 2016, 12:17 PM »
These look saweeettt. Ice Addict, your ride looks ridiculous!  The only thing you are missing is the kitchen sink.
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 20, 2016, 04:39 PM »
Can't figure out how I missed this thread last year! Nice job on the mods guys.

Offline mazak730

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Sep 20, 2016, 07:41 PM »
I will see if I can find some pictures of the custom attachments I made so I can put my own things on side of the otter box.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #22 on: Oct 24, 2016, 09:11 AM »
Got my Otter Rear Box and mounted it.  I used your "adapted" lock n ride mount setup for two of the fasteners.  I used bolts with large fender washers on the bottom of the rack holes - added a "stiff" rubber bushing 1 X 3/4 inside the hole, from the top along with a washer that just fit inside the hole, and a lock nut.   Tightened, this expanded the rubber bushing holding the bolt nice and tight.  Thus I had nothing above the rack deck and the box is tight to the rack.  My rear bumper has a couple of flat steel braces that are flush with the rack top.  I fastened two 1/4 X 10 steel straps there and let them extend rearward, bolting them to the Otter box at the bottom rear. NIce and solid mount. 

Working on some mounts to utilize the side mounting system on the box now.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2017, 05:49 AM »
Anything for additional MODs out there?  Will be on the ice soon.  Still "dreaming" of a way to carry my one-man flip on a hitch carrier behind the ATV.  Just think it will be better than bouncing the sled all over the ice.
Something like this - just set the rear of the shelter in it and then tip the shelter so front is up, strap it to the bumper and head out.  I think I have enough room to carry everything else in or on the ATV.

Offline Hardwaterdoc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2017, 10:34 PM »
I am very happy I found this thread. I used many ideas and finally have my setup ready for the ice. Check it out

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2017, 10:36 PM »
Doc, your machine looks very nice! Should work great for you.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2017, 04:03 AM »
Looking good there doc. 

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 17, 2017, 02:05 PM »
very well thought out and well done

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #28 on: Dec 17, 2017, 02:20 PM »
Ice_Addict, after looking at your transportation and the mods... username is very fitting, nice setup!

Very nice doc, does the plow stay on for the ice?
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Hardwaterdoc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 17, 2017, 07:13 PM »
Bart,

Just depends how much snow we’re dealing with. If there’s a good amount I’ll bring it to scrape a nice pad for the hub shack and use it to pack her in tight. Not really necessary but fun to tool around with.

If I’m just going out hole hopping I’ll leave her home.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.