Author Topic: Need suggestions for a good Perch trip  (Read 2269 times)

Offline perchpeter

• IceShanty Rookie
Need suggestions for a good Perch trip
« on: Jul 26, 2015, 03:11 PM »
Hello fellow NE Ice Nuts!

This is my first post on the site. So here goes.....

A group of us based out of Omaha have done a 3-4 day ice adventure the last couple of Jan. that usually is within an eight hour drive. Last year we sight fished Emerson Bay on west Okoboji IA and had a blast. Some of the most frustrating fishing i've ever done but you learn how to jig thats for sure! We got into some yellow perch and I fell in love with the species. Fun to catch and even better to eat. So this year we want to primarily target yellow perch during the day and walleye in early morning/evening. We have all kinds of ideas on the table from devils lake ND to the sandhills. Where should we go? Personally I like lakes that aren't overrun with hundreds of ice shacks and also not too large in size. I was looking at Home Valley and Frye Lake out in the Sandhills. Does anyone have some insight on those lakes? Also I know there are tons of smaller lakes across SD and Minn. If you have any suggestions that would be awesome!

Thanks,

Peter

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: Need suggestions for a good Perch trip
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2015, 04:52 PM »
Welcome to the site!!!  :icefish: Please go to your profile and put in your location!!! Thanks!!  :thumbsup:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2015, 09:24 AM »
Welcome. I know some guys that do well in the Sandhills area but it would be hard to believe it is better than what you can get into in SD. Webster, SD should definately be on your bucket list and is well within your 8hr limit.

Offline perchpeter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2015, 12:53 PM »
Thanks for you input! I took a look at Webster on the map. There are lots of lakes right in that area. Any in particular that are known for perch and walleye?

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2015, 03:57 PM »
Hello fellow NE Ice Nuts!

This is my first post on the site. So here goes.....

A group of us based out of Omaha have done a 3-4 day ice adventure the last couple of Jan. that usually is within an eight hour drive. Last year we sight fished Emerson Bay on west Okoboji IA and had a blast. Some of the most frustrating fishing i've ever done but you learn how to jig thats for sure! We got into some yellow perch and I fell in love with the species. Fun to catch and even better to eat. So this year we want to primarily target yellow perch during the day and walleye in early morning/evening. We have all kinds of ideas on the table from devils lake ND to the sandhills. Where should we go? Personally I like lakes that aren't overrun with hundreds of ice shacks and also not too large in size. I was looking at Home Valley and Frye Lake out in the Sandhills. Does anyone have some insight on those lakes? Also I know there are tons of smaller lakes across SD and Minn. If you have any suggestions that would be awesome!

Thanks,

Peter

Our sandhill lakes have some great perch fishing, and yes, they can be as good as any found anywhere.  However, word gets around real fast and when there is a fishery that gets a hot bite for big perch it gets fished down really fast, and yes that has happened even on the remotest of fisheries (e.g. Home Valley).

The best spot often is different from year to year.  I would watch for the annual Fishing Forecast and plan accordingly, http://outdoornebraska.org/Fishing/pdfs/FishForecast.pdf.

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2015, 08:00 PM »
I would go to Webster. Bitter lake kicks out 13-14 inch perch pretty easy. I had a 14 1/4 last year. The walleyes will be there in the evening too. Waubay is good at times too you'll just have to check the fishing reports. There are a lot of lakes there and if you go to the area you'll hear which ones are hitting.

Offline Slabsticker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2015, 10:55 PM »
Tons of good fishing in Nebraska! But if perch is what you're after, SD glacial region should defiantly be on your radar! I love to fish all over, I make SD an anual event, some years it's three or four trips even. Check it out, plus they will let you drive on the lakes (even the ones that aren't near the majority of the population), it's fun up there. Devils lake is an old go to for perchers, but hasn't been as good the last three years. Sandhills can defiantly make monster yellers but hard to find and easy to fish out. Good luck out there, let us know how you do.....

PS. I LOVE being able to talk ice in July!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2015, 03:27 PM »
I can't help you with any lake info but I will say it's a pretty safe bet that Devil's Lake is a dream destination for a lot of ice fishermen, I'd sure go there if I had the chance.  Welcome to the site, glad to have you here with us.

Offline perchpeter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Aug 04, 2015, 09:13 AM »
Our sandhill lakes have some great perch fishing, and yes, they can be as good as any found anywhere.  However, word gets around real fast and when there is a fishery that gets a hot bite for big perch it gets fished down really fast, and yes that has happened even on the remotest of fisheries (e.g. Home Valley).

The best spot often is different from year to year.  I would watch for the annual Fishing Forecast and plan accordingly, http://outdoornebraska.org/Fishing/pdfs/FishForecast.pdf.

Daryl B.

Daryl I have read countless posts by you across numerous forums and must say its so nice to have someone right at home that is so dedicated to the sport. Thank You! Your info is top notch and you are so passionate about what you do. It's inspiring. All of NE anglers would agree that someone like you is a such a blessing to have working for our state!

I also want to thank everyone else who gave me their .02 cents on where to find some perch. Devils and Webster are definitely on my bucket list. I don't know if we will make it up there this year because most of the guys in the group just had their 2nd kid so we might have to keep the trip a little closer and shorter for our wives sake. So far the best perch/walleye reports that are a little closer to home seem to be coming out of Spirit Lake IA. We will have to see in a couple of months if the bite is still as good as it is now.

I'm super pumped for the ice season. I can't stop thinking about it! I've been spending my free time gathering info/materials for modding my ice shack. I'm going to be adding dead stick pole holders, center console, lights, and beverage/bait holders soon.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Aug 06, 2015, 01:39 PM »
Daryl I have read countless posts by you across numerous forums and must say its so nice to have someone right at home that is so dedicated to the sport. Thank You! Your info is top notch and you are so passionate about what you do. It's inspiring. All of NE anglers would agree that someone like you is a such a blessing to have working for our state!

I also want to thank everyone else who gave me their .02 cents on where to find some perch. Devils and Webster are definitely on my bucket list. I don't know if we will make it up there this year because most of the guys in the group just had their 2nd kid so we might have to keep the trip a little closer and shorter for our wives sake. So far the best perch/walleye reports that are a little closer to home seem to be coming out of Spirit Lake IA. We will have to see in a couple of months if the bite is still as good as it is now.

I'm super pumped for the ice season. I can't stop thinking about it! I've been spending my free time gathering info/materials for modding my ice shack. I'm going to be adding dead stick pole holders, center console, lights, and beverage/bait holders soon.

Thank you!

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline IceGunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 02, 2015, 01:02 PM »
For you and your location,  Glacial lakes in SD are as close, if not closer than the sandhills lakes.    There are a ton of small bodies of water that have perch of trophy size.   I would venture to say they all have perch of eater size.   

I fish with a buddy from eastern Nebraska,   he is 4.5 hours from Frye and 4 hours from Thompson.   Northeast SD caters to ice fishermen and there are a ton of rooms available for a song.  We stayed in 2 different rooms last year that were once a bar/lounge in different towns.   Nice accomodations for an ice fisherman,  $25/man/night.   Talk to some locals, be nice and they might just tell you where caught a nice mess the day before.   or they know someone who did.

Love Nebraska fishing!  But,  if I lived where you do and was going with some buddies on a mancation, I would head north.
In God We Trust

Offline medic76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Sep 04, 2015, 04:19 PM »
The sandhills does offer some nice size perch and nice gills but for a vacation I would also head to SD. We did a what we thought was a dream trip to devils lake and all though it was fun to go and see the fishing sucked so make sure you check the current reports. Do not rely on guides be willing to travel and find fish, that how we ended up catching them. We are going to try Waubay this year and just get a hotel and fish, it seems to be less hassle. We usually find them eventually, it may take a 100+ holes  ;D

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 15, 2015, 02:55 AM »
SD does offer some very good perch fishing, but like you I like the smaller body of water and less busy feel, there are still some very good perch fisheries left in the state, most of which are left unfortunately are privately owned sandhills lakes, I have been able to obtain permission for a few of these but only got to try one last year and ended up with nothing but 6'' perch and i remember catching 15 and 16'' fat football perch all day years back, odd because it had been left alone for several years until I poked some holes in it last season. Either i was in the absolute wrong spot or something has happened to it such as winterkill or summerkill as its only 6.5ft deep at the max and gets very very low in late summer leaving little water left. But nonetheless there are still several good places for perch left in the state, Merritt reservoir has been coming up very very well in the panfish dept due to a serious abundance of bait fish. Some of the refuge lakes can still produce well but not like they used to, between carp and some greedy fisherman they have been beat up pretty bad. When season comes around im going to try some more of these backhills small lakes as long as snow doesnt hamper being able to get there, if the fishing turns out good i may be able to help you out!!

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2015, 05:41 AM »
As a few others have mentioned there are several great perch lakes around the Webster and Brookings.

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline openwaterguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Sep 16, 2015, 09:32 PM »
Can't wait to get back up to the Webster area again this winter. First time going was last year and I'm hooked! My buddy Jon even pulled a 38" pike while fishing for perch! Can't wait to see pictures from everyone this year!

Offline Big Lefty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Sep 30, 2015, 12:55 PM »
We made our first trip to Webster last year.  It was awesome, but very crowded.  We definitely plan to go back, but we're looking into a western Nebraska trip, too. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.