Author Topic: Which auger to reopen old holes?  (Read 5851 times)

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
Which auger to reopen old holes?
« on: Jul 14, 2015, 07:24 PM »
Just finished up with a new wheelhouse build and can't seem to get ice fishing off the brain. Have spent countless hours on here picking up wheel house info over the last 4 mnths during the build.... Great information!

Anyway... Starting to think that I may not want to run my 15 yr old 2-stroke strikemaster in the new house.... but am curious as to which electric, propane, or 4-stroke augers work the best at reopening old holes? I am currently thinking seriously about either the Strikemaster Honda or a Vexilar K-Drill.... Thoughts?

Thanks again for all the great info!

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Which auger to reopen old holes?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2015, 08:32 PM »
Welcome to the site rl_sd..  Great looking wheelhouse..  You might want to post more pictures of it... 
Never been in one and always wondered how much the holes freeze up after outings??
Just wondering how that goes..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2015, 08:47 PM »
Thanks Raquette. I am pulling all of my pictures together and will put together a new post later in the season after I get all of the "finishing" touches done on the inside.

In NE SD and western MN, the temps can easily get done below 0 deg Fahrenheit... Usually in the morning the top 2-3 inches are pretty solid and below that your 8" hole is more like a 4".... Some augers handle it a lot better than others.

Offline Cfilbert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2015, 09:21 PM »
In my Permy I use a jiffy pro lite propane. Never had a problem reopening holes.  Just let the auger do the work and not force it.
Is the ice thick enough yet?

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2015, 08:16 AM »
In my Permy I use a jiffy pro lite propane. Never had a problem reopening holes.  Just let the auger do the work and not force it.

How do you like the propane in the wheel house? Does it burn cleaner than a 4-stroke gas?

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2015, 09:26 AM »
indoors, you don't have heavy odors from exhaust. when I bought my Pro4 I started it right in the living room. the wife almost filled her panties, LOL !!!

HIMO
                                                                                                      Iceshanty & MFF Moderator
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2015, 02:02 PM »

Anyway... Starting to think that I may not want to run my 15 yr old 2-stroke strikemaster in the new house.... but am curious as to which electric, propane, or 4-stroke augers work the best at reopening old holes? I am currently thinking seriously about either the Strikemaster Honda or a Vexilar K-Drill.... Thoughts?

Any internal combustion engine produces carbon monoxide (odorless deadly gas). Electric is the way to go. Problem is the price. K-drill is $250 + the latest Milwaukee (1200 in #) drill due out in August will be $350 which is the direct competition for the latest Makita. The alternative is the
Strikemaster Lithium Lazer which is probably about $600. The Lithium Lazer is probably not the best choice for opening old holes.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2015, 04:24 PM »
Thanks DY...

The main purpose of a new auger is to get away from the two stroke smoke cloud hanging in the house.... although the CO from a 4-stroke isn't good to be breathing in either.

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jul 15, 2015, 08:11 PM »
Nice shack!!! I've been looking at the new strike lite chipper.
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jul 15, 2015, 09:14 PM »
Just finished up with a new wheelhouse build and can't seem to get ice fishing off the brain. Have spent countless hours on here picking up wheel house info over the last 4 mnths during the build.... Great information!

(Image removed from quote.)

I'd say your on the right track with the K-Drill, What I like about it is the Cast Iron Head, it rips right through partly frozen holes, as well as re-drilling completely re-frozen holes.
Bud

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jul 15, 2015, 09:52 PM »
I would think some of those 12v options would be best
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jul 18, 2015, 09:29 AM »
For reopening holes a Chipper Blade is your best bet. Your brand would be personal choice. Make sure the blade or blades are sharp.
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jul 18, 2015, 12:53 PM »
For reopening holes a Chipper Blade is your best bet. Your brand would be personal choice. Make sure the blade or blades are sharp.

Agreed ..plus always have and extra blade on stand by ..chipper blades are usually cheaper ..

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jul 18, 2015, 02:15 PM »
Opening old holes can be fun enough with a 3hp jiffy. I can't imagine a lightweight electric.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jul 19, 2015, 07:57 AM »
I've reopened holes on my hardside many times with 10" Eskimo Quantum, never had a problem. The 100-1 Amsoil doesn't make much smoke at all, but, the door and windows are open, and I let it air out for a bit after.

Offline ADKLakerTaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jul 19, 2015, 02:57 PM »
Just needs to have a ripper blade, ang a spike

Hard tell'n, not know'n

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #16 on: Jul 19, 2015, 03:58 PM »
Milwaukee drill with 6" lazer opens them right up!!

Offline DawntoDusk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jul 26, 2015, 06:05 AM »
I use a jiffy auger. Cuts and opens holes like a knife thru butter.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jul 26, 2015, 12:12 PM »
8" lazer or mora paired up with the clam plate/millwaukee fuel drill.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jul 27, 2015, 04:45 AM »
8" lazer or mora paired up with the clam plate/millwaukee fuel drill.

X2 but I wouldn't spend the money or the hassle of the clam plate adapter. Just get a twenty dollar adapter that has tge round plate so your auger won't go through the hole if it comes lose. Make sure though it's at least a 3/8" diameter for the chuck. Anything less could bend pretty easy because the drill is a beast and when the auger gets bound up while drilling.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jul 27, 2015, 06:47 AM »
With the clam plate it gives me the proper stance when im out there drilling holes. I run a 6" nils and they are longer than others in length, with the clam plate i get form and function at the same time.

Offline Super Yooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When Hell Freezes Over... I'll Ice Fish There To!
« Reply #21 on: Aug 05, 2015, 09:15 AM »
ION, ION, ION.  ;D

You need a flat blade system to effectively reopen old holes. Curve blades tend to get stuck. Get an Ion and you wont be disappointing! It was designed with the ability to reopen holes in mind.  :o

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #22 on: Aug 12, 2015, 02:41 PM »
My Eskimo works great
Never to many short poles

Offline derek_buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Aug 31, 2015, 03:08 PM »
I have the Jiffy Pro and it works great for opening holes.  I still leave the door open because of deadly gases, but the propane auger doesn't have that exhaust smell

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #24 on: Aug 31, 2015, 04:09 PM »
I drill holes inside my 4 man pop up, can't be any worse than that, I leave doors and windows open let it air out a few mins not a big deal. I see you have windows probably 4 and a door, shouldn't take long to air out auger exhaust. If it takes longer than a few mins to air out so be it. They do make 2 cycle oils that don't have much smell, like I use for my chainsaws and ice auger Motul 800 2T is about the least offensive 2 cyl oil I have found yet. I reopen holes all the time with my jiffy with chipper blades.

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Aug 31, 2015, 08:30 PM »
I bought the jiffy pro 4 lite last year and love it.  Have had no problems through thick ice or reopening holes.  Nobody has mentioned it but how about a little fan to air out quicker if your worried about the gases.

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Sep 01, 2015, 06:47 AM »
Thanks for all the replies! My main concern is not the safety aspect of running the auger in the house, it is having the exhaust smell "soak" into the foam and fabric of the bunks. I know that it is just a fish house, but being a new build it would be nice to not have it stink to high heaven the first year out!.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Sep 01, 2015, 09:28 AM »
Ion, hands down. Heck, you can recharge it with your onboard power. And if you don't like it, you'll be able to sell it in a heartbeat- it's just about the hottest ice fishing product out right now.

I would also consider one of the 12 volt electric units that run off a deep cycle battery or plugs into a 4 wheeler. I'm sure you have deep cycle power non board that castle, that would be a great option.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.