The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: My early winter prediction  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
My early winter prediction
« on: Jul 01, 2015, 07:17 PM »
I was out working in my yard today and noticed that my apple tree is absolutely loaded with apples, more than I've ever seen on it before.  The last two years we had good winters and there wasn't nearly as many apples either of those years so I'm hoping the old adage hold true, lots of mass crops equals a long hard winter.  Time will tell if I'm if it holds true but I'm hoping and praying it does.  I'm going to check out the Farmer's Almanac and see what they have to say.  The last two years it was right on the money.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
Re: My early winter prediction
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2015, 03:09 AM »
I'm with you Chris hoping its a good long winter again!
Last year we had a very good ice season, but  many of the apple tree's in my area were devoid of fruit...I was told from an old timer it was from lack of honey bee's.
Crossing fingers for good first ice before Christmas!     :icefish:

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2015, 03:01 AM »
When I was out in the yard yesterday I saw a few chickadees which normally start showing up in early to mid-October since they're a winter bird.  I'm thinking this is a sign of an early winter and hopefully it will be good and long also.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2015, 11:45 AM »
Yesterday when I was cutting my grass I noticed the apples on my tree are starting to turn red.  I also saw six of those all white caterpillars that have the black antennas on them and I never saw them in the past until early October.  Hopefully more good signs for an early and long winter.

Offline Perchdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2015, 12:49 PM »
All i know is i'm ready to sit on a bucket and look down a 8" hole.

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T7 Custom Rods, CatchEmAll Custom jigs
« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2015, 12:39 PM »
Ice can't come soon enough, the older I get the more I hate this heat. I've already gone over everything and its ready to be loaded in the truck and put on a lake.
Be safe & Tight lines...........Wiley

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2015, 08:19 AM »
My wife thinks I am nuts. I just told her I ordered my first plastics for ice season.  I have 2 boats and a pond less than a mile from the house. only went 5-6 times so far this year. Well not including crappie fishing in apr-may my second best fishing season. Well any way last year my black walnut tree had so many nuts I swore I was cutting it down because they are a pain to clean up in the yard. Not one nut this year.  ?

Offline treesparrow1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2015, 10:05 PM »
I would love another long season like last year.

When I tell my wife there were better than 100 ice fishermen on the lake, she replies that many nuts its sure to be a hot summer.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Sep 02, 2015, 08:11 PM »
Yesterday I saw two decent sized flocks of geese flying south over my house yesterday, another sign of an early winter in my opinion.

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2015, 08:59 PM »
During that last night of cold temps,  the local pond capped over with ice.  It was 23° that morning. 

On the other hand a larger lake I was on Saturday night had a surface temp of 51°

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2015, 06:21 AM »
ITS WILD,,henna JIGGERMAN,I was at MOUNTAIN SPRINGS LAKE last evening for a ride and stopped and watch bass jumping,no pole with me.Water temps must be low ,and the bass were active like that.Dont understand.
sunday it was snowing.Go figure.
I hope we have ice at least mid December.
GOOD LUCK BRO. :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.