Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Moving to Des Moines  (Read 1171 times)

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
Moving to Des Moines
« on: Jun 20, 2015, 09:38 PM »
Moving to Des Moines this winter.  Please tell me there will be ice to be found.  Looking for some good ice fishing holes. 

Offline ryan3703

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Moving to Des Moines
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2015, 03:50 PM »
We had a few days of ice last year. lol  im west of Des Moines last years ice was good one week and bad the next it seemed last year

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2015, 07:52 PM »
It really all depends on the year..... I will tell you to have your gear ready since the season can last 3 days one year and 3 months the next......

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2015, 09:20 AM »
Long time until winter...do you have to move to Des Moines?
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2015, 02:51 PM »
Des Moines is right on that line of good and bad quality ice.  Posts above are correct about some years its good some years its not.  I have found that there is consistently good ice for the most part Des Moines and north of there.  If you go south of Des Moines the ice starts to deteriorate fairly quick.  I fish Big Creek a lot and ice there is normally really good which is just north of Des Moines.  I also fished Badger Creek which is 20 minutes southwest of Des Moines and the ice deteriorated there very quickly when it warmed up during winter. 

Des Moines is a good location to get opportunities to ice fish.  ideally you will get at least a 2 month window to ice fishing with variances in December and March.  You can always go north, I was fishing northern Iowa on Thanksgiving weekend so there are places within two hours that will get you on the ice.

Offline IBEW-fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2015, 09:32 PM »
Welcome to the area! Big creek is a tough lake to figure out.  But once you do, it will become one of your favorites!  Like Lyon said generally 2 months of ice fishing here, but you can lengthen the season by going north.  I think last year Clear Lake was fishable 2 weeks before anything was fishable around here.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2015, 07:48 AM »
I fish the Clear Lake area and we were on first ice last year 8/22/14 and last ice for me was 3/08/15. If you're more extreme I'm sure you could've probably sneaked out a week before and after those dates but I kept it safe. Not sure how much ice the DM area gets but it gets ridiculous up here...Cutting through 3 ft. Of ice gets to be a hassle

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2015, 08:28 AM »
8/22/14???
Should it be 11/22/14?
I was on ice on 11/29/14 near Guttenberg.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.