Author Topic: nanofil  (Read 1871 times)

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
nanofil
« on: Jun 18, 2015, 03:46 PM »
I realize this should go in the equipment section probably but since it is June I will post here. So, I have 300 yards of 2lb nanofil i got cheap but i have not put it on any reels yet. I've always used fireline in about 6lb but wanting some opinions on the 2lb nano. Seems people either love this line or hate it.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: nanofil
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2015, 09:11 PM »
If you fish in a shack you should be fine. I have it spooled up on my inline reel and will use it as back fill for next season because i fish outside. Once the guides ice up it will fray the line more so with an inline reel because im pulling line out by hand.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2015, 12:20 PM »
Yeah, people either hate or love Fireline.  It's just another tool.  Use the tool for what it is.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2015, 04:36 PM »
boy that 2lb nano is hair like thin. Hard for me to put enough trust in it when it is that thin. Will have to just try it on a few and see. Love the idea of it being so thin, just hard to belive it will hold up to much abrasion being that thin. Hopefully proves me wrong.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2015, 05:11 AM »
you will be fine using it. Try the Asso line sometime that stuff is awesome.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2015, 07:19 AM »
X2 on the asso. Nano if they keep improving it could be nice but imo as it is right now it's lacking. Especially in knot strength. Fireline is sweet great break strength. Bit stiff at first but love it for 10 fow and less. Asso is my gotto mid winter micro ice fly setup.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2015, 03:15 PM »
Any more opinions on this? Looking at putting some line on my new sedonas and debating between this and some powerpro braid I have. The powerpro is either 6 or 8. can't remember.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2015, 03:28 PM »
did you put any of the 2 lb. on yet

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2015, 03:44 PM »
I have the 2lb on one reel and have mixed thoughts. The good thing is it is super thin and is the most sensitive line I've used because of that. The bad thing is it is just so darn thin I'm not sure how much confidence I have in it not snapping. Will be used mainly for gills, crappie, perch. Don't really want to put it on all 4 new reels only to not like it. Although that wouldn't be the first time.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2015, 04:16 PM »
my experience was pretty negative towards it. Maybe I got a bad spool, but the line would get a kinck in it. Once it did there was zero strength to it and it would break......for the price I'd pass on it.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2015, 04:24 PM »
Thanks for the input. Only reason I have it is because it was in the bargain cave for 9.95 per 150yd spool so I purchased two spools and have second guessed myself ever since. ha.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2015, 04:26 PM »
Thanks for the input. Only reason I have it is because it was in the bargain cave for 9.95 per 150yd spool so I purchased two spools and have second guessed myself ever since. ha.

I've always been a Berkeley micro ice guy, but the line I found most impressive and would suggest to others is P-line.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2015, 08:36 PM »
I've always been a Berkeley micro ice guy, but the line I found most impressive and would suggest to others is P-line.

I just have a heck of a time getting used to mono with all the stretch. I realize stretch is good especially for crappie which is what i do most but im just so used to braid. Have used braid on summer and ice reels for years and love the sensitivity. Not putting mono down just hard for me to get used to the stretch.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2015, 08:59 PM »
I just have a heck of a time getting used to mono with all the stretch. I realize stretch is good especially for crappie which is what i do most but im just so used to braid. Have used braid on summer and ice reels for years and love the sensitivity. Not putting mono down just hard for me to get used to the stretch.

Try the P-line. It's a copolymer. If I remember correctly it is a mono-Fluro mix. It doesn't stretch like mono and holds up better to abrasion. It was kind of the best of both worlds. Plus no tying on clear leaders to the braid. Plus it doesn't ice up like braid. P-line has gotten a lot more popular and much more easy to find in NW Iowa in the last 2yrs or so. The Berkeley micro ice is just so cheap and everyone carries it around here. Stores are doing better with selection, not to long ago that's the only ice line stores carried.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 18, 2015, 09:01 PM »
Hated the knot strength with nanofil. Spooled up on one reel and thought it was awesome stuff until I read bad things about it breaking at the knots. Tied on a jig just to test it out and it broke fairly easy so I took it all off. Never even wet a line with the stuff. I'm sure nanofil has it's place, just not in my tackle box.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2015, 09:08 PM »
haven't tried nanofil yet, but i've been using fireline for the past season and i'm really liking it so far. that said, i only run it on jigging rods which i usually use in a shelter. i stick with mono for my deadsticks, both for price and the low amount of freeze the line gets.

don't be afraid to size up either, i use 15 lb or 8 lb fireline. the 15 has a diameter equivalent to 6 lb mono, and the 8 lb diameter is equivalent to 3 lb mono i think?

my local sportsman's warehouse is having a sale on flourocarbon, so i'm gonna pick up some of that to spool a rod with. i already have a couple of spools in 4 lb and 12 lb, but those are pretty much dedicated to being leader material.

Offline stpaulslouch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Sep 18, 2015, 09:47 PM »
Double Palomar know is key with Nanofil, I haven't had a know break yet.  I do tie on a leader most of the time, however. 

I haven't used it ice fishing but I do like in for open water, although I like Suffix 832 more as an all around line.  For casting distance nothing can compete with Nanofil which makes it pretty killer for crappie fishing.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Sep 19, 2015, 01:24 AM »
Anything in 2# and under is gonna be finicky finesse.  Even when I use Gamma ESP ice in 2# with like 3.1# break (mfg claim 2.8#) it will break at some point due to line inconsistency/ tolerance.  Fireline 1# breaking in at #3.5 at some of its strong sections - fish it with confidence.  However any little nick causes a weak failure point.

You get various types of ASSO lines to compare:
ASSO Tetramax .160 mm 3# line break 4# 8 oz.
ASSO Tetramax .180 mm 4# line break 7# 1 oz. Mfg claim break of 7.5#
ASSO Flourolight .200 mm 4# line break 7# 9 oz. Mfg claim break of 7.9#
ASSO Ice Fishing .140 mm 3# line break 3# 6 oz. Mfg claim break of 3.4# (2011-1 yr 3# 6 oz.)
ASSO Ice Fishing .160 mm 4# line break 4# 11 oz. Mfg claim break of 5.4# (2011-1 yr 4# 15 oz.)
ASSO Ice Heavy .127 mm 2# knot break 2# 8 oz. Mfg claim break of 3.3#
ASSO Ice Heavy .150 mm 3# knot break 3# 4 oz. Mfg claim break of 4.2#
ASSO Micron 3 .153 mm 4# knot break 4# 8 oz. Mfg claim break of 4.8# (2011-1 yr 4# 12 oz.)

Granted its been years since I used some of these lines, but I generally strength test again before fishing.  Should probably retest a few again.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 19, 2015, 03:09 PM »
slip bob you have any break strenbth on the Asso 8 oz.   1 pound and 1.5 pound line

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Sep 20, 2015, 03:26 AM »
slip bob you have any break strenbth on the Asso 8 oz.   1 pound and 1.5 pound line
The lightest line I have is ASSO Invisible Ultralight 1.5#.  It breaks at 1# 7 oz. on a knot break.  Its a 100% fluorocarbon line so I expect to break at or below listed.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 20, 2015, 04:28 AM »
Thanks      The only thing I don't like about it is getting the line through the jig. First time with the 8 oz. it took me 30 minutes inside. I'm adding a Aqua Vu 10 X magnifier to speed things up this year. Maybe only 10 min. I hope

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Sep 20, 2015, 03:02 PM »
I have hard time with light lines and knots are iffy as well.  Even harder with cold hands.  I'm not using 1# Fireline.  2# suits me more.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.