Author Topic: redneck from ok, fish house  (Read 9847 times)

Offline redneckgearhead

• IceShanty Rookie
redneck from ok, fish house
« on: Jun 11, 2015, 09:33 PM »
Well the wife and I moved to MN from OK on December 31st of 14.  It wasn't long after that I was invited to go ice fishing and that started my love affair with fishing the hard water.  Fishing in the clam was great, but once we fished in a wheel house I knew I had to have one.  I mentioned to my buddy that we had to build one, since I'm a maintenance mechanic and have all the tools and skills we'd need it was just a matter of materials.  Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, I get a call from that buddy saying he knew where to get a complete frame 16'x8' and a 4' vee, heavy duty 8 lug hubs with electric  brakes and aluminum wheels for imo a great price.  The materials alone would have cost us near what we paid. 

Last week I went to menards and picked up the materials for the floor, we got a great start on it today until we realized I picked up 1/2" marine grade plywood and it was just a little to soft for our liking so im swapping it for 3/4". Progress might be sporadic and slow at times, just a warning.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: redneck from ok, fish house
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2015, 10:11 PM »
Nice start Red.  Keep postin with the progress

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2015, 11:42 PM »
You're off to a good start, good luck with the build.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2015, 06:07 AM »
Welcome to the Ice Shanty.com family. Please post the occasional picture as your build progresses.
Steve

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2015, 06:42 AM »
Great start! Thanks for the look and welcome to IS!  @)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2015, 08:57 AM »
redneckgearhead you should add your location to your profile ....GREAT BUILD ...keep the pics coming ..gets mighty lonely between last ice and first ice with out any motivational/inspirational stimuli....  pictures are a great help . Good Luck with your build. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline redneckgearhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2015, 01:06 PM »
redneckgearhead you should add your location to your profile ....GREAT BUILD ...keep the pics coming ..gets mighty lonely between last ice and first ice with out any motivational/inspirational stimuli....  pictures are a great help . Good Luck with your build. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Updated my location.  I'll keep the pics coming.  It may be a couple weeks before the next pics.  Have to work this weekend and a camping trip next weekend.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jun 12, 2015, 05:25 PM »
Looks like a great project! You should offer to take the Minnesotan's back to OkieLand and teach them a bit of noodlin' in return for introducing you to hardwater!  :roflmao: :thumbsup: :clap:

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2015, 06:48 PM »
Sweet build... :clap:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline redneckgearhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jun 12, 2015, 08:32 PM »
Looks like a great project! You should offer to take the Minnesotan's back to OkieLand and teach them a bit of noodlin' in return for introducing you to hardwater!  :roflmao: :thumbsup: :clap:

Lol no thanks. I ain't sticken my hand in a hole underwater that I can't see into, hoping something big bites it. 

Offline ryan3703

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jun 13, 2015, 07:58 AM »
Looks like a great start cant wait to see your progress along the way.

Offline redneckgearhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jun 28, 2015, 10:13 PM »
Quick question,  the trailer is 8'2" wide, leaving a 2" space after the subfloor is laid down.  Can I just put my walls up on the 2x4 floor frame and then plywood the floor, or should I just bight the bullet and buy an extra sheet of plywood and fill in the 2"? Tia

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jun 29, 2015, 10:42 AM »
If it were me, I would build the walls out of 2x3's (2x6 cut in half) and do the walls first. That would give you a 2 5/8" wall frame and leave 1-1/8 of the base 2x4 frame to support your plywood floor.

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jun 29, 2015, 05:05 PM »
Looking at your trailer photo it appears you have only one cable pulley to lift the house. I built mine same way (78 trailer to Wheel House) using the 1500# wench. After about 30 set-ups past season, the large gear in the wench wore out and the gears started to slip. Thankful I usually carry a 2 ton jack in my truck which allowed me to raise the house and install the wheel pin. I changed the configuration this past weekend making it a 2 pulley system. Works great, very little tension on the wench. Fleet Farm sells the solid steel pulleys. Large is 2" small on spring is 1.25".

Offline redneckgearhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jun 29, 2015, 11:46 PM »
You know papadarv,  I thought the same thing when I put the cables on, that another pulley would help.  But it's a professionally built frame.....I may look into it again.  Thanks for the tip.

And that about what we've decided to do.  We see no reason to have the floor run under the walls.

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jun 30, 2015, 10:08 AM »
When I did my research on the "wheel lift" couple of years ago almost all professional built commercial houses used a single pulley wheel lift. Last fall at the Dec. River Center winter sports show, I did see almost all new pulley lift wheel houses had 2 pulleys including the Yetti 6X12 aluminum house.
http://www.yettifishhouse.com/features.html
Either single or 2, just a suggestion take a 2 ton floor jack with you. For me, it saved the day.

Offline redneckgearhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jun 30, 2015, 10:54 PM »
I checked out the viability of adding a second pully.  The holes are there, but i noticed i have 2500lb winches as well.  I may add the pully just fir ease of lifting if nothing else.

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jul 01, 2015, 07:46 AM »
Great, let's see some more progress pic's as you continue in your build.

Offline redneckgearhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jul 02, 2015, 08:11 PM »
Got my plywood swapped out today.  Hoping I can get it installed soon.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jul 03, 2015, 07:17 AM »
I would bite the bullet and run the ply wood all the way. It will give more stability to the walls. Some places you can buy partial sheets but I am sure you will find some place to use up the rest of that extra sheet when you get to finishing the inside.

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jul 03, 2015, 09:24 AM »
In my experience structure stability will be maximized if you screw and glue the outside wall sheeting to the studs, Sill and Top plates. You already have a 2x4 Sill plate bolted to the steel frame.  The wall will in effect have a double Sill plate when constructed. Also install the sheeting below the bottom Sill plate about 1/2 way on the steel frame. 2x3 wall material is better than 2x2's. I would also use treated or stainless 3 1/2" construction screws to secure the Top and Sill plates to the studs verses nails. Make double sure everything is square before sheeting outside (use angled braces on the inside). Do-over is really tough once the glue dries. 3" Pink Poly will give additional stability. Make sure your inside stud spacing is exact to the width of the Pink Poly as it is difficult to achieve an exact cut on Pink Poly. 

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jul 03, 2015, 03:06 PM »
Another thought - if you decide to go with an RV/Trailer/5th wheel door (26X78") Install the door with 4 screws, two on each side, before you sheet. Sheet all areas except the Door area, than remove the door and sheet the door area. Really helps to keep the frame square. Pleasureland RV (about an hour south of you on I94) sells used between $125 and $150. Also check Craigslist, might find one cheaper. They are insulated, have a window and form a great seal.

Offline redneckgearhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Oct 27, 2016, 08:37 PM »
Phew, what a summer it has been.  I have made progress I swear, but not near what I wanted to.  I have almost all the walls up and and some windows in.  I picked up my siding from firebrand fish houses today in a matte black.  Ill post pics soon as I have the next 10 days off, whoop whoop!   I'm hoping I get it dried in and spray foamed before the freeze but life has a way of getting in the way. 

Offline old truck guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Oct 27, 2016, 09:06 PM »
Looks great so far  ::) more pics

Offline redneckgearhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2017, 08:13 PM »
WOW what a year it has been.  I have been working on the fish house I swear and Ill get pics asap.  I picked up the aluminum siding for it from firebrand in a matte black finish.  Ill try to get some pics asap.  I am going to put a rubber membrane on the roof and I have that as well.  It is 90% framed on the outside, I have primed the wood studs with 3m 30nf green fastbond adhesive per 3m's recommendation.  I tried a sample piece at home with some 3m vhb tape I got from work (I work for 3m) and after 3 days it was stuck very well.  I am ordering 3m vhb 4991 from uline for attaching the siding to the studs but am trying to figure out what would be best to use on the seams.  I have and email into firebrand and I am going to send one off to 3m tech support. 

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2017, 12:10 AM »
Thank you for bumping this thread Redneckgearhead ,looking forward to your pictures to see how the build has progressed .
Steve

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2017, 07:23 AM »
where's the pics  :whistle:

Offline redneckgearhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 07, 2017, 08:15 AM »
where's the pics  :whistle:
I'll try to get some posted today.  Lol I'm in my buddies fish House ATM and the bite is just enough to make me stay.

Offline redneckgearhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2017, 03:41 PM »
Well I got a few hours to get over and work on it.  Got the last piece of subflooring in (pita) and did some house keeping.  These pictures aren't the best since I have it "tented" so I could heat it up enough to apply the 3M primer to the studs.
So the pics arent the best. Ugh.... Can't the pics to work.  I'll try again at worm on my laptop...

Offline redneckgearhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2017, 08:46 PM »
is this working?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.