The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: cold feet  (Read 3597 times)

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
cold feet
« on: Jun 06, 2015, 05:30 AM »
Before I head into another hunting and ice fishing season I need to do something about my cold feet. It may have something to do with medication I take but as I've gotten older it seems my feet get terribly cold. Currently I wear muck Arctic's and everyone says these are some of the best but my feet still get cold. Does anyone have any suggestions for this problem?
Thanks in advance for any help you gave give me.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: cold feet
« Reply #1 on: Jun 06, 2015, 06:24 AM »
I have the Muck Arctic's and the Baffin Expeditions and the Baffin's are way warmer...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2015, 08:46 AM »
Its important that you have wiggle room . I removed the original liner and added a Thinsulate liner and had no problem with my Artic Sports this season . I have also added a thick wool insole to my Baffin Crossfires between the boot and removable insulated liner which did help a lot too.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Thinsulate-Thermal-Insole-6-CON-CS/dp/B007K97TPS
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jun 06, 2015, 09:41 AM »
Before I head into another hunting and ice fishing season I need to do something about my cold feet. It may have something to do with medication I take but as I've gotten older it seems my feet get terribly cold. Currently I wear muck Arctic's and everyone says these are some of the best but my feet still get cold. Does anyone have any suggestions for this problem?
Thanks in advance for any help you gave give me.

I too have this dilemna and have tried doubling up on darn tough 70% wool socks with 1/2" armaflex rubber cut to inside the insole area of my baffin boots. seems to help, but eventually everything gets colds with nowhere for the evaporating sweat moisture having anywhere to go.

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2015, 12:51 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to go a size larger in my next pair of boots to leave more wiggle room. Has anyone used any of the electric toe warmers? I've used the chemical ones and they help but not enough.

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2015, 09:24 PM »
I wear Baffin Titans, cheaper than mucks, and wicked warm. I have never had a problem with cold feet. they are rubber so no risk of water getting in. Only thing I have found with them is that they can be too warm. my feet tend to be just right when the temp is 15 or lower, but on "warm" days they can get a bit warm. removable liners are key too, I take them out every night and hang them in my shack over the heater. Nothing better at 4am when chipping holes and setting lines than toasty toes!

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2015, 10:29 PM »
What are you wearing for socks? That can be just as important as the boot!

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2015, 06:42 PM »
What are your sock suggestions, Joe?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jun 08, 2015, 09:17 PM »
A polypropylene liner ...then a wool sock as much woo l% as possible ...liner wicks away moisture and wool when wet actually increases warm  ...If you already have your mucks .. you may want to scale down your sock(s) thickness ..the mucks are quite warm and wool works best overall for warm and comfort .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jun 09, 2015, 07:02 AM »
Do your feet sweat.

Mine used to until I was given a bottle of formalin solution by my podiatrist. By using it my feet stopped sweating so bad there for my feet stayed warm as my socks stayed dry with almost any boot I wore.

My $5.00 mickeys have started to get pretty cracked so I got my 20 year old Lacrosse Icemen back out. My feet have stayed just as warm with them as with my mickeys. I have a set of boot dryers that are like a shoe stretcher that dries the boots out over night if they get damp inside.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jun 09, 2015, 10:06 AM »
I wear Baffin Titans, cheaper than mucks, and wicked warm. I have never had a problem with cold feet. they are rubber so no risk of water getting in. Only thing I have found with them is that they can be too warm. my feet tend to be just right when the temp is 15 or lower, but on "warm" days they can get a bit warm. removable liners are key too, I take them out every night and hang them in my shack over the heater. Nothing better at 4am when chipping holes and setting lines than toasty toes!

+1, love my Titans.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #11 on: Jun 09, 2015, 12:24 PM »
Using a boot drier is important. I take the liners out of my Lacrosse Iceman boots and dry them and the actual pac boot, makes a huge difference. Dry boots are warm boots.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #12 on: Jun 09, 2015, 10:26 PM »
Sonny88 I've had good luck with the Wigwam line of socks over the years. One other suggestion for you wait until you get to the body of water you plan to fish before putting on your boots. If you have a long trip from your home wearing the boots in your vehicle can cause your feet to sweat and result in cold feet. Also remember the temperature ratings on different boots is a comfort rating not a warmth rating. I own a pair of Cabela 'Polar Cap" PAC boots never had a problem with cold feet until this pat January. I was fishing at a contest and spent most of the day sitting in my portable shelter. By the end of contest the soles of my feet were getting cold. The temps that day ranged from -2 F at the start of contest (7am) to maybe 15F by contest end at 3pm we had winds gusting to 25mph at times. The rating on my boots is minus 100F. I have to do some research to see how companies get/determine their temperature ratings. If you have not already done so use the search feature and look through the Dressing for Ice Fishing community/board there are numerous threads discussing people opinions on boots and socks,plus tips on keeping your feet warm.
Steve

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jun 10, 2015, 05:42 AM »
What are your sock suggestions, Joe?

A thinner wicking sock against your skin and then a wool sock over it. I actually wear two pairs of merino socks from darn tough, thinner athletic sock underneath and then heavier ski sock over it.  They fit very well and dont move around and bunch up.  It's also very important to wear the correct amount of socks to fill your boots but not cut of circulation.  As lav said, drying your boot liners is very important too.  I pull mine out and set them on a forced air heating vent when my wife isnt around, doesn't smell great for the first 10 minutes...

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jun 10, 2015, 06:31 PM »
My feet rarely sweat so that's not the problem. But, I appreciate all the help here! I'm going to get Baffin titans a size larger than I usually wear, wicking socks and some wool ones to go over.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jun 30, 2015, 12:07 PM »
I also wear Baffin Titans.  Great boots.  I've found through the years, though, that a single high quality wool sock has worked better for me than using a wicking sock under the wool.  In the Titans, I use Cabela's medium hiker socks that are around 85% merino wool.  Smartwool or Darn toughs would be good, too, of course.  I know Perchbait loves his Darn Tough socks!  If you aren't having sweating issues, than the liner socks probably won't help.  It's more important to have wiggle room than to have lots of layers, which is why a good lightweight sock works better for me. 

I found the Titan liners to run a little narrow (probably because they are so THICK!).  I normally wear a 10.5 (wide) sneaker and an 11 boot.  I had to get a 12 in the Titans and they are still a bit on the snug side after wearing them all last season.  I would expect the liners to compress a little and get roomier as they get worn.

Also, during hunting season when I'm going to be walking to stands and such I will bring an extra pair of socks in a ziplock in my pack and change socks when I get where I'm going.  I'll put the used socks in the ziplock to try to keep the stink hidden and my feet will be happy with fresh, dry socks on.  If it's really cold, I'll change socks and add chemical toe warmers before putting my boots back on.

Good luck!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jul 01, 2015, 06:07 AM »
I found some Red Ball Boots at a Garage sale last year and they are very warm. Very impressed; my feet get cold easy as well as my hands. I can't skimp on boots or mittens.

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #17 on: Jul 05, 2015, 09:37 AM »
I would also suggest the Baffin Titans.  I have always had problems with cold feet.  Last year I switched to the Titans and it was the best decision ever.  Typically I would go out and sit and found myself constantly accessing how much longer my feet would be able to last.  I went out once last year, sitting on a bucket, no shanty, -10, 20+mph wind and it wasn't until I was on my way home that I realized that I never even thought about my feet.  Also, I now only use regular socks.  I don't know what I'm going to do with all my wool socks, they're too warm.  The only downside is that they are a little heavy.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jul 09, 2015, 10:13 AM »
Yeah, the Titans are a little heavy and kind of clumsy to walk around in.  BUT, they work.  I also love having an all-rubber boot when drilling holes.  Never have to worry about getting wet. 

One thing I experimented with was putting sheet metal screws in the tread to have permanent "creepers".  It worked OK.  The round rubber knobs on the bottom are too soft and the screws would pull out.  But the side lugs held the screws in well.  They were perfect on glare ice!  With some snow they would get loaded up once in a while, but overall I was happy with them.  No idea what this will do for the longevity / warranty (if there is any), but I wasn't too worried about it with an $80 boot.

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Aug 02, 2015, 06:44 AM »
I've got the Baffin's, the wicking socks and heavy 100% wool ones too. I should be all set now. Thanks to everyone for their help!!

Offline ryan3703

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Aug 02, 2015, 07:58 AM »
what Baffin boot did you go with? I just bought the impact boot. thinking I need to go a size smaller than I got. they seem a little loose.

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Aug 04, 2015, 07:03 AM »
I got the titans and actually had to go a size larger than I normally wear to get the two [pairs of sock and a comfortable fit. They're a little large and clunky but seem to be really warm! And, most of the time i'm going to be sitting.

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Aug 18, 2015, 09:04 PM »
I also went a size higher.  The padding inside will crush quite a bit and form to your feet.  Don't lend them out!  I hope that we get the coldest winter ever for you.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Aug 19, 2015, 07:08 AM »
sonny, I personally wouldn't use electric feet warmers. One thing ya don't want is for your feet to sweat. Good insulated boot, sock liners and merino wool socks will do most of the work but I read a tip a while back that could also help if you do a lot of sitting in one place. Get a small piece of rubber pad. say like 1 1/2ft x 2 ft by maybe half an inch thick. it will roll up easy for storage but when you are set up just lay it out where your feet will be. it'll help keep your feet off the ice. But sometimes just getting up every half hour and walking a bit will get the blood flowing and warm up your feet.

Offline poupster2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 29, 2015, 11:54 AM »
i got some Ice sock from WigWam.  These socks are just fabulous.  I got them from here
https://www.socksperts.com/The-Ice-Sock-P62.aspx

Have not been cold all winter and I was out ice fishing a -25.

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 23, 2015, 07:42 PM »
I spent 3.5 hours sitting in a tree stand in 20 degree weather last week with my Baffin's, wicking socks and darn tough arctics and my feet were toasting for the first time in many years! Thank you for all the advice and help guys!!

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 23, 2015, 11:46 PM »
They are a true game changer.  Longer in the stand, longer on the ice = more meat in the freezer!

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 29, 2015, 03:19 PM »
Freezer's full...now time for some fresh filets!

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 09, 2015, 10:47 AM »
Congrats Sonny!  What'd you kill?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.