The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Buddy Heater Propane Freeze Up  (Read 6640 times)

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Buddy Heater Propane Freeze Up
« on: Jun 04, 2015, 01:40 PM »
So I know its a long ways away until we see ice again but I'm already preparing for the up coming season.  One problem I had this year was my propane line freezing up going to my buddy heater in the shanty.  Any one had problems like this or how to prevent this?
FLAG!!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Buddy Heater Propane Freeze Up
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2015, 05:54 PM »
I don't use a hose on my Buddy (single 1lbs )...but I believe if the tank is low its more of a problem with freeze up ...are you using a filter and/or the recommended green hose ? If you had your heater for some time and running w/o the filter or green hose ...you could of gummed up the works ...regulator...lines ...etc.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2015, 07:21 AM »
I am using a black hose.  Not sure about the filter.  I would suspect it is in the buddy if it came with it as its a few years old and nothing has been changed on it.  Guess it needs to be brought in for some cleaning.
FLAG!!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2015, 09:56 AM »

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2015, 10:20 AM »
Thanks alot!! Really appreciate the help! :thumbsup:
FLAG!!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2015, 10:31 AM »
Thanks alot!! Really appreciate the help! :thumbsup:

Your welcome ...my friend has the Big Buddy and ran his in his shed for quite a few years w/o the filter and the green hose ...gummed up the works something awful ...the propane and pressure breaks down the inside of the hose and then into the workings of the heater .

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2015, 10:35 AM »
So if i were to get the green hose do i have to take the filter out or can is still be used with the filter?
FLAG!!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jun 05, 2015, 10:43 AM »
I don't believe it will harm anything or impede performance in any way...if I had it I would use it along with the green hose .

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jun 06, 2015, 09:38 AM »
So I know its a long ways away until we see ice again but I'm already preparing for the up coming season.  One problem I had this year was my propane line freezing up going to my buddy heater in the shanty.  Any one had problems like this or how to prevent this?

Only happened once this past season when I took my boy to Bomo to smelt fish and it was -10F before the sunset.
We had the 5# tank outside the pop up and the line laying in the slush and it started freezing up, once we moved everything insode and got the tank & line up off the slush which was sticking to the bottom of the tank cylinder things went better.

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jun 08, 2015, 08:56 AM »
I have a permanent shanty so i like to leave the tank outside. Only a small portion of the line is outside and is above ground. Guess the extreme temps can still freeze it
FLAG!!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #10 on: Jun 08, 2015, 08:21 PM »
couple things I've learned with using propane the last few years.
1) theres an additive that get added into the propane so it won't freeze as easliy, this is why its best to fill your own one pounders for the augers.
If you have a tank that was filled in the summer months its possible that it does not have the additive.

2) You have to use a filter because there sometimes particles in the LP that can plug up your heater or really plug up a lantern, its worse on the colder seasons because the LP producers are pushing the LP out as fast as they can too keep up with demand.

hope this helps.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Sep 07, 2015, 06:44 PM »
my local propane folks have no idea about the green hose...got a part number and brand ?
I am haunted by waters...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Sep 07, 2015, 06:55 PM »
my local propane folks have no idea about the green hose...got a part number and brand ?

I believe its F273702

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2015, 09:30 AM »
I use the green hose with a filter always. No matter what. Never have problems and have two Buddy heaters running a lot over the winter.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 14, 2015, 10:26 PM »
This is the one that I use.  No filter required.  I haven't had any problems with the hose in use, but when first hooking it up, if it hasn't been dried out, I have had to blow into the tank connector side to thaw it out.  I know make sure that it comes inside and dries out after each use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UC7966?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 15, 2015, 02:44 PM »
Don't the buddy heaters have a built in regulator in them right where the connector connects to the heater?
FLAG!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.