The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 32" Champlain steelhead  (Read 1933 times)

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
32" Champlain steelhead
« on: May 03, 2015, 07:28 PM »
Have been very busy with a super productive Spring fishing season.  I haven't had time to do any reports, but made time to write this one up today after landing a monster.  I had already ran down 100' of river to chase this guy, fell in twice (first time flat on my face, nearly completely soaked)  I quickly took my phone out of my pocket and threw it into the woods to avoid water damage.  Still, the fish didn't stop.  It ran another 50' before I could cut it off, jump into the water in front of it and net it head-first.  But the mayhem didn't stop there - he was way too big for my net.  I had to throw my rod in the water, almost lay down in the river and hold his tail with one hand and the net with my other to avoid him escaping.  When I was holding him, laying in the river in 2' of water with water filling up my waders, it was actually pretty peaceful.  It took a moment to process what had just happened, but I had won that battle.  I laid there for a full minute before I could get up, I think I was in shock. 

Matt whipped out the measuring tape and it was a solid 32" steelie.  We guessed it at about 11-12 lbs.  I should have kept it for the wall, and I keep telling myself I want a steelie or salmon over 11 lbs for my wall, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  A picture was good enough for me, and I sent him back on his way.  It was the perfect way to top off the Spring steelie run for Champlain, and it was also the 13th steelhead I'd landed.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
Re: 32" Champlain steelhead
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 07:51 PM »
Beautiful fish Matt and a great story! Water must have been cold! Did you catch him fly fishing or on a spinning setup?
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 08:47 PM »
Beautiful fish Matt and a great story! Water must have been cold! Did you catch him fly fishing or on a spinning setup?

Got it on the fly.  Water was cold but pretty relaxing hahaha.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 06:17 AM »
WOW! Beautiful fish! Congrats, sounds like it was an epic battle  @)

Offline slopoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH ON!!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 10:02 AM »
Great Fish Man!
its easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission... FISH ON!!!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 12:03 PM »
Nice fish, if it was a big white perch I would be even more impressed.
How big do the steelheads get out of Champlain?
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 01:23 PM »
That's a beautiful fish, Matt ... congrats!!  Is that a lamprey scar down it's side?

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 01:53 PM »
Nice fish, if it was a big white perch I would be even more impressed.
How big do the steelheads get out of Champlain?

I was hoping it was a 32" white perch but was disappointed to find out it was just a huge steelie. This is about as big as they get in Champlain as far as I know.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 03:19 PM »
Well, it's no 13" white perch, but still a pretty good fish. I guess.  :P

Offline LnmanRI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 04:05 PM »
Great looking fish congrats !!!!

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 09:01 PM »
BEAUTIFUL Steelhead Matt! They are awesome fighters!!!

Offline Blackink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 08:01 PM »
A great story, a great fish, and a great moment you'll never forget.

Thanks for sharing.....

Offline 802spinnerbait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing nerd
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 09:13 AM »
Have been very busy with a super productive Spring fishing season.  I haven't had time to do any reports, but made time to write this one up today after landing a monster

First and foremost, I'd like to thank Matt(fishy1) for taking the time to fill me in on the NY side of Champlain.  He's gone out of his way to show me around over there, and let me in on some of his honey holes, which ended up paying off BIG time.  He's a great man and a great angler, and we both share an infinite passion for fishing.  Without his help, I'd of never gotten to hold such a monstrous, beautiful steelhead today.  While he wasn't there with me when I hooked into it, he showed up towards the end of the fight.  I had already ran down 100' of river to chase this guy, fell in twice (first time flat on my face, nearly completely soaked)  I quickly took my phone out of my pocket and threw it into the woods to avoid water damage.  Still, the fish didn't stop.  It ran another 50' before I could cut it off, jump into the water in front of it and net it head-first.  But the mayhem didn't stop there - he was way too big for my net.  I had to throw my rod in the water, almost lay down in the river and hold his tail with one hand and the net with my other to avoid him escaping.  When I was holding him, laying in the river in 2' of water with water filling up my waders, it was actually pretty peaceful.  It took a moment to process what had just happened, but I had won that battle.  I laid there for a full minute before I could get up, I think I was in shock. 

Matt whipped out the measuring tape and it was a solid 32" steelie.  We guessed it at about 11-12 lbs.  I should have kept it for the wall, and I keep telling myself I want a steelie or salmon over 11 lbs for my wall, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  A picture was good enough for me, and I sent him back on his way.  It was the perfect way to top off the Spring steelie run for Champlain, and it was also the 13th steelhead I'd landed in the past 3 days between NY and VT.  Doesn't get much better than that. 

(Image removed from quote.)

Fishy1 helped me a ton during this past Ice season when I was trying to find lakers while everyone else felt the need to not share locations.  I can understand to a degree, either way Fishy1 knows his stuff.

Thanks for the share VTMatt

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 11:09 AM »
I keep telling myself I want a steelie or salmon over 11 lbs for my wall, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  A picture was good enough for me, and I sent him back on his way.

I would definitely get a good quality reproduction done.

Nice fish! 

Offline Douger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jun 05, 2015, 06:36 AM »
That is a great fish and a great story, thanks for sharing.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jun 06, 2015, 09:41 AM »
Have been very busy with a super productive Spring fishing season.  I haven't had time to do any reports, but made time to write this one up today after landing a monster

First and foremost, I'd like to thank Matt(fishy1) for taking the time to fill me in on the NY side of Champlain.  He's gone out of his way to show me around over there, and let me in on some of his honey holes, which ended up paying off BIG time.  He's a great man and a great angler, and we both share an infinite passion for fishing.  Without his help, I'd of never gotten to hold such a monstrous, beautiful steelhead today.  While he wasn't there with me when I hooked into it, he showed up towards the end of the fight.  I had already ran down 100' of river to chase this guy, fell in twice (first time flat on my face, nearly completely soaked)  I quickly took my phone out of my pocket and threw it into the woods to avoid water damage.  Still, the fish didn't stop.  It ran another 50' before I could cut it off, jump into the water in front of it and net it head-first.  But the mayhem didn't stop there - he was way too big for my net.  I had to throw my rod in the water, almost lay down in the river and hold his tail with one hand and the net with my other to avoid him escaping.  When I was holding him, laying in the river in 2' of water with water filling up my waders, it was actually pretty peaceful.  It took a moment to process what had just happened, but I had won that battle.  I laid there for a full minute before I could get up, I think I was in shock. 

Matt whipped out the measuring tape and it was a solid 32" steelie.  We guessed it at about 11-12 lbs.  I should have kept it for the wall, and I keep telling myself I want a steelie or salmon over 11 lbs for my wall, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  A picture was good enough for me, and I sent him back on his way.  It was the perfect way to top off the Spring steelie run for Champlain, and it was also the 13th steelhead I'd landed in the past 3 days between NY and VT.  Doesn't get much better than that. 

(Image removed from quote.)

nice catch  Matt!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.