Author Topic: Back-er-Up  (Read 3110 times)

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
Back-er-Up
« on: Apr 19, 2015, 04:01 PM »
I have an older pick-up where a back-up camera aimed at the receiver hitch would be desirable. Problem is they are “spendy”, so I came up with an idea that approaches Free. (I like Free).
What you need!
* Apple Ipad2 or 4g cell phone, android, apple i.e. your cell phone. You need 4g iPhone for display speed. (I own the Ipad2)
* An old cell phone with camera, I found a Galaxy Samsung 3g version for free. Got if from a grocery store which was a collection point for old phones. Faster is better. It helps if you have a couple of old flip phone you can trade for the cell phone at the grocery store.
* An old wireless router. In 2013 I replaced my 12 year old Linksys wireless router with a new model which had the higher speed and latest technology (wife got a new computer). If you don’t have a router, you can get one from Walmart for about $25.00. Make sure the power supply is 12 volt, most of them are 12volt
* 6”x8” piece of tin
* 2 strong magnets (Walmart or Home Depot)

Whatever cell phone you get for free, you need to re-set the phone to factory setting. Google it. Than download an app called webofcam. If it’s android, use google play store, if iPhone go to the apple app store.

Also download webofcam to your iPad or 4g Cell phone same as you do for the free phone.

Build a cell phone holding frame out of the Tin. Attach the 2 magnets to the back with double stick tape.

Clip the cell phone holder to the back of your pick-up using the magnets to hold it in place.

Connect the wireless router to 12volt lighter outlet. I cut off the A/C transformer and connected the wires to a lighter plug. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT BYPASS THE FUSE in the connector

Turn on the free phone, make sure the WiFi is linked to the router in the truck, than start the webofcam app. Select the camera option for the phone

Connect your iPad or cell phone Wifi to the same router, start the webofcam and select Viewer for the iPad/cell phone.
The viewer should show the camera shot of the phone attached to the back of you pick-up. I set my iPad behind the steering wheel.

Word of caution, there is about a ˝ second delay viewing the receiver/hitch so back up very slowly.
This setup will work on any vehicle I also use it to hook my boat to Motor home or buddies 5th Wheel. Has a range of about 150 feet.

I included another feature to this back-up-cam:
I made another camera frame and mounted it in my Wheel House above one of the holes.

When I get to my fishing hole on the Ice, I move the camera to this frame inside my Wheel House. I like to mark the holes I drill than move the house forward to drill and clean the holes and ice. I than use the iPad/camera to assist in backing the wheel house back over the drilled holes. This affords me to see the drilled hole line up with the house hole. When alone without the set-up, one usually needs to trek back and forth from the truck to inside the house checking alignment.  This is a pic of my iPad with camera looking at the wheel house hole.

If you need additional assistance, send me a message or email.

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Back-er-Up
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2015, 04:41 PM »
Boy, you got way too much time on your hands.

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2015, 05:27 PM »

That may be, but it looks like he put that time to good use!  ;D

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2015, 07:51 PM »
One does not get a chance to practice old until you actually reach the senior years. Some call it retirement, but I am still trying to figure out what that really means.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2015, 09:00 AM »
i like it!
thanks for the idea and sharing!

no one else posted a better version yet.  probably some company will put a copy write on it soon and make millions.

some have enough time to tell you that you also have enough time to do what you want. not sure why those would want to waste time they have to tell you so. maybe they have more than enough time on their hands.

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2015, 09:33 AM »
[quote author=3300 link=topic=317273.msg3340523#msg3340523 date=142953843

some have enough time to tell you that you also have enough time to do what you want. not sure why those would want to waste time they have to tell you so. maybe they have more than enough time on their hands.
[/quote]

I don't waste my time, I go fishing.

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2015, 10:46 AM »
Thanks 3300

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2015, 11:01 AM »
i like it!
thanks for the idea and sharing!

no one else posted a better version yet.  probably some company will put a copy write on it soon and make millions.

If some company decides to do so I'll still get royalties - this is a public site with a dated post and therefore I have copyright. If someone claims copyright, its stealing.

Offline perch assasin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jig em' up
« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2015, 04:10 PM »
wouldnt it be a whole lot easier to just to learn how to drive your truck????

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2015, 04:54 PM »
That'd be pretty handy. With my eyes and poor depth perception, it would save a lot of time and bashed up license plates.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Apr 22, 2015, 06:15 PM »
... save a lot of time and bashed up license plates.

I thought that piece of wood was to protect your license plate.  Nifty idea!

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Apr 22, 2015, 07:49 PM »
I thought that piece of wood was to protect your license plate.  Nifty idea!
I actually put it there to protect my License plate, but not from getting hit by the trailer hitch, it's there hide my license number in the photo. A piece of cardboard would also achieve same - wood was handy when I took the pics. With the Back-up-cam I no longer need to be concerned about backing into the vehicle. And I do like your nifty idea.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Apr 22, 2015, 11:04 PM »
back up camera kits can be had for less than $50 now adays

Catchin' Fish

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Apr 23, 2015, 10:15 AM »
back up camera kits can be had for less than $50 now adays
Wow, that's neat, what brand did you get and where did you buy it from? I'd like to look at getting one also.

Offline fish333

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Apr 23, 2015, 11:50 AM »
 I believe I have seen them a Farm and Fleet. I think it is a very reasonable price.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Apr 23, 2015, 09:49 PM »
check amazon....yeah Farm and Fleet has a kit for a decent price as well

Catchin' Fish

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #16 on: Apr 23, 2015, 11:15 PM »
this is the one i bought a few years ago. never used it. had it wired how i thought it should work, but my car stereo wanted it wired differently so i haven't bothered with it. didn't really need it any way. thought it would be good to have because of my new car stereo i bought with video and aux video ect ect

18$
http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Waterproof-Vehicle-Backup-Viewing/dp/B0081GZDQQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1429848602&sr=8-3&keywords=back+up+camera

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=back+up+camera

there are different ways to watch the camera available there, like rear view mirror with aux in video.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 10:39 AM »
I never really thought of it but I guess I could use my old aqua vu underwater camera, it has a 50 ft camera cord. It would be nice for backing up to boat trailer. All I would need to do is make a place to mount the camera.
Those cheap camera kits do not come with a tv monitor.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 07:00 PM »
Awesome idea! Something like that would make my job as the director a whole lot easier!
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 08:24 PM »
Webofcam has many features. In addition to the back-up cam, I plug one of my phone cameras into a charger cord and set it in my front house window. When I go overnight fishing, trip etc. I take my computer with me, connect to the resort wifi and link to the camera phone IP address. I can see both inside my home and driveway by selecting the camera view, rear view for driveway selfie view for inside house from my computer. This photo shows outside my office window, phone camera and my computer. I don't think one of the camera kits will allow you to do this.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2015, 11:24 AM »
That is a great way to use technology. I set my Marcum monitor on the hump in my Tahoe, run the camera and cable out the window and put the camera on the bumper. Works great!  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.