Author Topic: Starting in on my first permanent ice shack.  (Read 3462 times)

Offline Golfpro261

• IceShanty Rookie
Starting in on my first permanent ice shack.
« on: Apr 16, 2015, 08:37 PM »
Hi, been looking at threads here for a while but finally joined.

I have a few pieces started in the process but would love some help if anyone wants to.

Quickly, usually pull a few over nighters a year and get out any waking minute to hit the hard water. Wife would like a nice place to hang out at and not my clam big foot xl2000. Fish in southern Wisconsin.

Acquired:
1993 Coleman pioneer Chesapeake pop up camper
Large solid table top to cut down to size
Door
(My buddy installs windows and is waiting to get the best he can)

I'm planning on taking it down the the floor for complete gut.

Things I'm looking for would be how to go about getting the floor connected to the frame(if the current one is not good enough). 2x4 or 2x2 for the framing?

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Starting in on my first permanent ice shack.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2015, 07:47 AM »
if you need to add more screws to the flooring I would use self tappers and for the walls 2x2's work fine

Offline Golfpro261

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2015, 09:10 PM »
Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

I am thinking the layout will be table at one end with 2 bench seats. Then probably 2 bunks on the other end with a LP wall heater and going to reinstall the stove from the camper.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2015, 06:34 AM »
Looks like a fun build,  I wish I lived somewhere I was legally aloud to drive a truck on the ice,   I drag my 4x8 semi permi around by hand.  The locals ask if I am part shetland pony, lol.  Looks like it will be a comfy spot for the wife.  I made my permi for the same reason.  I would go with a wood stove to heat it if I were you,  I love my dry wood heat.  It is much more fun to heat with wood too.  Propane fumes make me sick to my stomach.  At least go with a vented propane heater.  Good luck with your build, looks like a cool one.

Offline Golfpro261

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2015, 11:52 AM »
That's a beast to pull around. Some lakes around here allow trucks, most close to me have atv and snowmobile as the most that are allowed.

I debated wood but don't want to go home smelling like a stove, that's what happens in a buddy's shack with wood burner.

I'll look into a vented one, also a lot less weight from gas verse a heavy cast iron stove and having to haul wood from the cabin down to here, 2 hours each way.  Would be easy then for wife to get the heat going while I start setting up those 3 extra tip ups for her coming out.

Offline Golfpro261

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 08:50 PM »
So the more I think about it, I am probably going to go with a 2x4 frame job. I want to run some electrical wire in it and run the propane lines and insulate it really well. 

I am going to be parting it out and probably selling on eBay so if anyone needs something, let me know.

My buddy got me 4 nice windows with screens to use, 2 double and 2 singles.

Should I do a straight slanted roof or have it be pointed and be pitched on both sides?

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 11:52 PM »
I would suggest that you go with 2x2's for wall studs. Rip 2x4's in half. If you use 2x4's...you will have a goofy overhang where the upper part of the shack meets the tub of the camper. Also, 2x4's will make it HEAVY! You can still run wiring in a 2x2 wall (12 volt) and run any 110 volt wiring in the tub part. Insulate the walls with 2 inch "pink board" foam.

I would also suggest that you loose the camper top and build a peaked roof (like a shed) then use metal siding panels for the sides and roof. This will make it light and weatherproof (if you do it right!)...

The LP camper heater idea is ok, keep in mind you might have to install a wind deflector over the outside vent opening to stop the wind from blowing out the pilot light (a problem I had with my shack!)

On my shack, I ran 110 in the tub and I was able to run a small generator to outlets and power my radio coffee maker etc....I ran the lights on 12 volt batterys that I mounted under one of the seats in the dinette (also had an inverter) Don't forget to add a 12 volt outlet to charge you flasher batts or cell phone!

Have fun with the build! I have done a few camper conversions!

Offline Golfpro261

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 09:31 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on the wind.

I am not adding onto the lower portion of the camper, I am taking it down to the frame and building up from the floor. So I will be going with my own kind of roof from scratch.

Do you need to brace the walls closer if not using 2x4 but going with 2x2? 

There is a converter in the camper I was going to go ahead and build in if I have to.  Wanted to have it all ready to go for a generator later on down the road. Also want to be able to put my camera on a tv in the shack.

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 07:14 PM »
I usually brace the corners with 2x4's placed sideways & 2x2's for the walls. Good idea going down to the frame.

Offline Golfpro261

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jun 01, 2015, 08:04 PM »
Would it be a good idea to make the frame, 2x4 on the outside edges and then 2x2 the rest?  A little extra room to insulate and easier to run gas and electric.

Bigger top frame will be easier to attach roof?

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jun 01, 2015, 11:58 PM »
Yup, sideways 2x4's and 2x2's for the rest. You want to keep it light. Insulate with pink foam board. Plenty of room for 12 volt wiring. I ran gas line under the floor to the heater.

For rafters, use 2x12's cut to your pitch IE: 12in in the center and tapered to 2in on each end. Tie them to the walls with hangers/clips used in construction.

Offline Golfpro261

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jun 02, 2015, 09:43 PM »
Thanks.  I am pretty sure I am going to go with the propane heater and get a nice one that is vented. I am kind of leaning away from the double bunk idea I had and might put the door on one end and not on the side.

It's not going to have any holes to begin with. I like to tip up fish and play cards all day with plenty of beer. I can set upy pop up if we want some jigging action for walleye.

I would rather go high tech and run a tv so we can watch a tip up on my marcum.

As far as siding and roofing, is metal siding lighter than putting up plastic siding?  And also having that in the roof verse shingles or rubber roof?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jun 03, 2015, 06:08 AM »
Looks like a great start... :thumbsup: :clap:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jun 03, 2015, 06:11 AM »
I use metal siding for the walls and roof. Lighter weight and wears a long time

Offline Golfpro261

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jul 06, 2015, 09:41 AM »
Here are the windows that I got to install.  I hope to get started this month towards the end. Probably going to resell the frame just for longevity.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 12, 2015, 10:18 AM »
BUMP-BUMP!! Any progress to report?? How's the build going??
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Golfpro261

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Sep 14, 2015, 12:37 PM »
I got some por 15 products to seal up the frame once the demo is finished. I haven't had much time this summer and hope to get some more done in The next few weeks. I did pick up some flooring for free and hope it works well. Planning on using rugs so I can wash them at the end of season.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 14, 2015, 04:48 PM »
got a great start keep the pic coming please...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.