Author Topic: Is it safe to eat golf course pond fish?  (Read 21018 times)

Offline IFallThroughForFun

• IceShanty Rookie
Is it safe to eat golf course pond fish?
« on: Apr 11, 2015, 10:23 PM »
I've got awesome privileges to fish a golf course in metro Detroit with a boat. Out of the few that actually fish there, I fish the most. I catch bluegill, sunfish, perch, crappie, bass and pike. It is a 36 hole hole with the lake/pond stretching a little over .25 miles x 1/16mile. I have noticed filleted fish in the past with black spots on the meat but thought it was unrelated. My question is how safe the fish are to eat and how would one go about testing the water or fish? Does the fertilizer do that much damage? Thanks in advance!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Is it safe to eat golf course pond fish?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2015, 11:13 PM »
Black spots are parasites and harmless,they put a lot of chemicals on golf courses that may not be good for human consumption. I also have access to fishing a golf course but only CR fish.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2015, 12:22 AM »
I've got awesome privileges to fish a golf course in metro Detroit with a boat. Out of the few that actually fish there, I fish the most. I catch bluegill, sunfish, perch, crappie, bass and pike. It is a 36 hole hole with the lake/pond stretching a little over .25 miles x 1/16mile. I have noticed filleted fish in the past with black spots on the meat but thought it was unrelated. My question is how safe the fish are to eat and how would one go about testing the water or fish? Does the fertilizer do that much damage? Thanks in advance!

I'd say "Eat them all and often".  But, with one limiting factor to be considered, that being, are you beyond child bearing years. Think what unknown genetic anomaly you could pass to your offspring, maybe a mental incapacity, something ugly to the face, or maybe a new species that could breed with itself.  Think about it. And think long and hard !      You have been warned !        >:D :nono:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2015, 07:25 AM »
I'm pretty sure my neighbor's Mother ate those fish.  ;)2
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Online masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 2015, 07:28 AM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao:
Could give a whole new meaning to Catch and Release.....Keep us posted!  ;D
Welcome back Reb!  :roflmao:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2015, 08:06 AM »
Those spots are neascus, and present in a LOT of fish here. We call 'em pepper spots. Cook 'em well, and you'll be OK. On a side note, what waterway does not have some fertilizer run off and dissolved solids in it?  Not many are clean anymore. ::)

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_diseases/neascus.html

Offline StonecoldCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Apr 12, 2015, 08:13 AM »

Welcome back Reb!  :roflmao:
x2 Years ago a friend faced the same dilemma about a large orchard pond.Take it for what it is -a good spot to fish. C&R or very rare meals if you're uneasy about it.Questioning the course about chems. or talk about testing the water will likely end your access.....Do you have a side bus. of selling salvaged golf balls? ::)

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Apr 12, 2015, 08:49 AM »
eat them if and only if you took the 1 stroke penalty when you found them

Offline BobOlink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2015, 08:47 PM »
I'd get the water tested, best way to be safe.
Bob P.

Offline junglejim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Apr 16, 2015, 09:58 AM »
Most golf courses use alot of fertilizer on their grass. I would guess alot of the fertilizer ends up in the ponds.

Offline Mac Attack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Apr 17, 2015, 10:49 AM »
.............they put a lot of chemicals on golf courses that may not be good for human consumption.

Bingo.

Why tempt fate.

Enjoy the fishing and get your table fare elsewhere.

Offline paeatonhunting

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Apr 22, 2015, 09:59 AM »
DO NOT EAT THOSE FISH! I work in the field of water science/conservation. If you eat those fish, you are taking a huge risk of doing harm to your body. I have seen first hand the effects of mercury poisioning in humans, and I have seen first hand the deformities in amphibians caused by contaminated runoff. Think about all the fertilizers, insectisides, pesticides, etc. that goes down on and makes that grass green and beautiful and lush. Don't risk your health for the rest of your life over a fish dinner. 

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Apr 24, 2015, 06:43 AM »
I agree, they add weed killers to the ponds to keep them looking beautiful too.  Sometimes beauty comes at a price.  Ponds are at low points and the runoff is what fills them.  If the golf course has been there for 50 years just think how many chemicals have deposited on the bottom of that pond.  Fish can acclimate and even thrive, but humans.  I watched an episode of river monsters last night, Jeremy Wade was fishing a cooling pond in Chernobel and caught a nice wels cat. They tested it and it had super high levels of radiation, but was still there......  I would fish the pond all the time, but return all fish caught.  Just to be safe

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Apr 24, 2015, 10:58 AM »
How about all the guys eating fish from Erie .................. do you think all the chemicals are gone ??????????
ice fishing rules

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 07:37 AM »
Black spots are parasites and harmless,they put a lot of chemicals on golf courses that may not be good for human consumption. I also have access to fishing a golf course but only CR fish.

Highly unlikely!  I run a golf course and the products that we use now are the same as the farmer that applies to your corn, wheat, etc.  Golf courses using a lot of toxic chemicals is a thing of the past.  We use buffer zones around any water source and the use of fertilizers has been changed to a more eco-friendly use.
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline Mac Attack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 12:25 PM »
How about all the guys eating fish from Erie .................. do you think all the chemicals are gone ??????????

Erie is tested on a regular basis.

Golf course ponds are never tested.

I would feel confident saying PPM levels of almost anything is statistically higher in the ponds than Erie.

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 12:38 PM »
Erie is tested on a regular basis.

Golf course ponds are never tested.

I would feel confident saying PPM levels of almost anything is statistically higher in the ponds than Erie.
are they testing the water or the sludge ????????????
ice fishing rules

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #17 on: Jun 25, 2015, 06:10 AM »
Most golf courses use alot of fertilizer on their grass. I would guess alot of the fertilizer ends up in the ponds.

As a golf course manager, it is often mislead that we just dump tons of product all over the place.  This is quite untrue.  About 95% of us are EXTREMELY careful around any water source.  There are more homeowners than golf courses and a lot of those individuals use these over the counter products with no clue as to rates and sensitive areas.  This is where your concern should lie...
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jun 25, 2015, 08:14 AM »
if you have doubts, go with your first impression just to be on the safe side.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jun 29, 2015, 04:47 PM »
I agree, they add weed killers to the ponds to keep them looking beautiful too.  Sometimes beauty comes at a price.  Ponds are at low points and the runoff is what fills them.  If the golf course has been there for 50 years just think how many chemicals have deposited on the bottom of that pond.  Fish can acclimate and even thrive, but humans.  I watched an episode of river monsters last night, Jeremy Wade was fishing a cooling pond in Chernobel and caught a nice wels cat. They tested it and it had super high levels of radiation, but was still there......  I would fish the pond all the time, but return all fish caught.  Just to be safe
I don't mean this in a jerk way or even targeted at you specifically but what do you think gets dumped on corn and soybeans before being consumed? How many years of chemicals have been dumped on the dirt. Has that stopped you from eating anything with corn or soybeans in it? One problem with this world is that the press and gov't makes everyone think everything is harmful. Some is, use common sense and you will be fine. Unfortunately there is very little common sense in most people these days. Maybe I just don't care enough about my body and my old time farm boy attitude is coming out in me. Sorry.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #20 on: Sep 02, 2015, 11:24 AM »
Golfball shells are made frome a chemical called polyhydroplyzine.Polyh ydroplyzine is made by combining two chemicals  called nebrosicalic,and acycrysolone.The shell  ( outer covering ) of golfballs are designed to dissolve in water over a period of time.The idea behind desolving golfballs came about when famed environmentalist Claudia Van Greenstroke observed the amount of golfballs that were lost in golf course ponds.
    Her fear was that the copious amount of golfballs lost in ponds,would eventually overpopulate said ponds,and cause the fish population to loose size due to limited space.Another benefit to the dissolving golfballs is once the balls shrink to an edible size,the fish will eat them,thus in theory reverse the stunted fish cycle
   More research is needed,but early tests show that golf course fish are indeed edible,and tend to have more body mass than their lake or creek cousins,Is this due to desolving golfballs ? Some say yes,others I've spoken with are a bit more skeptical......only time will tell

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 06, 2015, 04:45 PM »
 interesting osage, but i'm not sure i'm convinced.  there is big business for guys with scuba gear diving in golf course ponds to retrieve golf balls for resale.  i suppose over many years they may start to decompose, but it would take a while.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Sep 07, 2015, 01:54 PM »
My son is a golf course superintendent. His chemical application certifications are massive.   The stuff they dump on golf courses is not something you want to be ingesting. Fertilizers, growth accelerators, growth inhibitors, pesticides, fungus and mold control, weed control.........the list is intimidating.

My advice is take it for what it is. A great place to fish. Take a picture and toss them back.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Sep 30, 2015, 07:40 PM »
Corn and beans are spryed with many of the exact same chemicals so you better not eat anything with corn in it. Ha. I better just stop as i could go on and on. Oh and guess what eats that same corn? Cows, pigs, chickens, sheep and on and on. What do you think deer eat? Grass, alfalfa, corn, beans, which also get sprayed with chemicals. This topic is hilarious to hear peoples thoughts. Im not saying there are zero issues, just more interesting hearing people contradict themselves.

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #24 on: Oct 21, 2015, 12:20 AM »
Corn and beans are spryed with many of the exact same chemicals so you better not eat anything with corn in it. Ha. I better just stop as i could go on and on. Oh and guess what eats that same corn? Cows, pigs, chickens, sheep and on and on. What do you think deer eat? Grass, alfalfa, corn, beans, which also get sprayed with chemicals. This topic is hilarious to hear peoples thoughts. Im not saying there are zero issues, just more interesting hearing people contradict themselves.
yes but the amount used is extremely different, and its not exposed directly to the food. its applied before the fruits are formed. versus the fish that are directly exposed to the compounds.
go hard or go home

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Oct 29, 2015, 09:28 AM »
Mercury and accumulations of chemicals over the years can cause some horrible deformities in mind and body...Proof? Just look at the politicians on TV.  :woot:

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 02, 2015, 10:50 PM »
here's a thought: go talk to the golf course managers! find out exactly what chemicals they use and where. if you do a little research, you'll be much better informed and able to make your decision.

Offline anglure

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 04, 2015, 03:01 AM »
  No.

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 06, 2015, 06:00 PM »
When I was a kid, my older brother was introducing me to golf.  He and 2 friends were golfing and let me tag along as their caddy.  He said he'd let me play a few holes after we got away from the clubhouse.  Well, I lost a lot of balls so we eventually came to a hole with a moat all the way across the fairway.  He said this was my chance to get in the water and toss some balls out to make up for the ones I had lost.  Well, I got in the water which was just above my knees and I was literally walking on golf balls.  I couldn't believe how many there were.  I was tossing balls out right and left and my brother and his friends were scooping them right up.  This went on for several minutes until something--probably a big carp, brushed against my bare leg.  I don't know what it was but it felt really big.  I shot right out of there in a flash.  My brother tried to act real stern and told me to get my butt back in there and get some more balls.  No way in hell I responded and he and his buddies all cracked up laughing.  They got far more balls than I lost.  If anyone is interested, the golf course was in Adams, NY.  Might want to check it out this winter.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 07, 2015, 08:13 PM »
Read Michael Crichton's book "State of Fear" about global warming.  Then don't worry, be happy. 

After all: The only thing to fear is no ice this year!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.