Author Topic: 20" Brookie back from the taxidermists  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
20" Brookie back from the taxidermists
« on: Apr 09, 2015, 08:40 AM »
Here is a 20" skin mount brookie that I just got back from Northeast Taxidermy.  My daughter Maeve caught the fish and did not realize how big it was.  As she tried pulling it out of the hole it swung it's head snapped the 6lb leader and dropped back down the hole.  Being distraught about loosing the fish she went in the camp and tried texting her mother about the big fish she lost.  It was the end of the day and my son and I started picking up the tipups.  While I was bringing one in I had a fish take the bait and rip off a  big run.  I could tell it was a pretty big fish so I eased it in after several runs and my son looked down the hole and said "it's the same fish"  I could see that it looked about the same size and said I don't know if it is the same fish but it looks about the same size.  I pulled the fish and the other leader hanging out of the fishes mouth.  My son begged to keep the fish and knowing that my daughter  was upset loosing the fish we decided to keep it and get it mounted.   I am happy with the job they did.   The lighting in the pictures make the belly color and the blues, look overdone which they are not.  Unfortunately because it was dark I did not get any good pictures of the fish on the ice.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 20" Brookie back from the taxidermists
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2015, 08:44 AM »
Beautiful mount, better story. @)

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2015, 08:56 AM »
Beauty.  :clap:  Great story. I think that he wanted to be mounted. I was hoping to see that. They do great work. My buddy just got his back (rainbow) from there. They were probably drying out together.

Offline gso12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2015, 09:13 AM »
 :thumbsup: Nice Mount!
]

Offline Jadler311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2015, 09:37 AM »
Awesome mount!

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2015, 11:57 AM »
Do I see the broken leader hanging out of its mouth?

Great story!

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2015, 12:05 PM »
Do I see the broken leader hanging out of its mouth?

Great story!

You do....good eyes!  The little red dot is a bobber stopper that I use to keep a few beads and a spinner a little way above the hook.  There was no question that it was the same fish when I saw my leader let alone my leader with the bobber stopper.  The tip up that we ended up catching it on was about 100 yds away from the first one.   It was only about 10-15 min. after we lost him the first time that he hit again.  I guess he was hungry.

Thanks for all the nice comments. 

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2015, 01:14 PM »
Great Mount and great story too. Awesome Job.  :tipup:
Salmonemia

Offline NH_RED

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2015, 03:33 PM »
Great Mount and great story too. Awesome Job.  :tipup:

X2!

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2015, 04:22 PM »
Very nice, what a pretty fish. congrats.
PB

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Apr 09, 2015, 04:44 PM »
N, that is a nice fish and as everyone said an even better story of how it was caught !!!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #11 on: Apr 09, 2015, 05:48 PM »
Very nice mount!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Apr 09, 2015, 07:47 PM »
Agree with all Nosaj.
Great mount and story to go with it.
Definitely deserves to be on the wall.  :clap:

Offline jellyroll44

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • may your lines be tight and your woman not so much
« Reply #13 on: Apr 09, 2015, 08:39 PM »
Good story

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Apr 10, 2015, 06:17 AM »
Awesome Brookie and Story. The mount came out Great!

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Apr 10, 2015, 09:16 AM »
Great fish and special story. 
Dick

Offline makomanfish1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Apr 10, 2015, 11:50 AM »
that is one nice, mounted fish..
what a great story...it lives forever!
Call in Sick.
Turn Off Your Phone.
And Go Fishing!

Offline TogueRogue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Apr 10, 2015, 10:35 PM »
great story...very nice quality job on the mount...dispels the notion that once hooked fish will sulk for the rest of the day...daughter must have been thrilled..TR

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #18 on: Apr 11, 2015, 07:25 AM »
Great story, very nice mount.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #19 on: Apr 11, 2015, 09:26 AM »
Awesome Brookie. Thanks for sharing!!

Offline Scout 24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Apr 11, 2015, 02:49 PM »
Beautiful fish and a great mount, looks smooth as glass. She'll remember that day for a lifetime. Ironically, I talked to Joe Monday (Coast to Coast, part of NE Tax) and he's doing a 42" barracuda for my 10 year old son that he caught in the Keys a month ago. He does really great work and it was reasonable at $12 an inch. Did you have him ship it or did you pick it up? Middletown isn't far from where I turkey hunt down there so I thought I might pick it up the last week of May if I'm down there and save the $100 shipping fee to NH.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Apr 11, 2015, 03:44 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments.  I had it shipped...I would love the get a tour of the place.  This was probably my favorite trip I have had with my kids.  We arrived at the parking area to find that it had not been plowed all season and it was early Feb..  There was a 2' side of the road frozen snow bank across the access road on a heavily traveled road.  We had driven for a while to get there and were planning on spending the night at a buddies camp so we decided that a little snow frozen snow was not going to stop us.  We drove to a hardware store and bought a heavy duty shovel and drove back to the access road.  We shoveled out the snowbank and the snow on the access road was 3or 4 in deep on top of a frozen hard pack snow.  We unloaded the snowmobile off the trailer before we tried to drive up the access road.  We made it almost to the top of the access road when the explorer got stuck.  It was close enough to the top that we could unhitch the snowmobile trailer pull it up the rest off the way so that would not make matters worse.  Now we had to dig all the snow out from under the undercarriage so that we could free the explorer which h we did.  Even though they were only 7 and 11 I would have had a bad time getting unstuck with out them.  We were able position the Explorer so that we could get out the next day, loaded up the snowmobile and went fishing and you have herd the rest of the story.  Its a good thing brook trout are late feeders!   

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Apr 13, 2015, 06:35 AM »
Beautiful fish and a great mount, looks smooth as glass. She'll remember that day for a lifetime. Ironically, I talked to Joe Monday (Coast to Coast, part of NE Tax) and he's doing a 42" barracuda for my 10 year old son that he caught in the Keys a month ago. He does really great work and it was reasonable at $12 an inch. Did you have him ship it or did you pick it up? Middletown isn't far from where I turkey hunt down there so I thought I might pick it up the last week of May if I'm down there and save the $100 shipping fee to NH.

If Joe got the fish a month ago you do mean May 2016. It usually takes a year to get one back from them. I don't think it would have time to dry in two months. I had one shipped to me a few years back and I think it was around$30.00.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Apr 13, 2015, 06:38 AM »
Thanks for the nice comments.  I had it shipped...I would love the get a tour of the place.  This was probably my favorite trip I have had with my kids.  We arrived at the parking area to find that it had not been plowed all season and it was early Feb..  There was a 2' side of the road frozen snow bank across the access road on a heavily traveled road.  We had driven for a while to get there and were planning on spending the night at a buddies camp so we decided that a little snow frozen snow was not going to stop us.  We drove to a hardware store and bought a heavy duty shovel and drove back to the access road.  We shoveled out the snowbank and the snow on the access road was 3or 4 in deep on top of a frozen hard pack snow.  We unloaded the snowmobile off the trailer before we tried to drive up the access road.  We made it almost to the top of the access road when the explorer got stuck.  It was close enough to the top that we could unhitch the snowmobile trailer pull it up the rest off the way so that would not make matters worse.  Now we had to dig all the snow out from under the undercarriage so that we could free the explorer which h we did.  Even though they were only 7 and 11 I would have had a bad time getting unstuck with out them.  We were able position the Explorer so that we could get out the next day, loaded up the snowmobile and went fishing and you have herd the rest of the story.  Its a good thing brook trout are late feeders!

You really have had some great adventures. Losing your snowmobile off the trailer earlier this year was a good one.  ::)

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Apr 13, 2015, 08:15 AM »
Denny....I am not sure how "good" it was :o :o

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Apr 13, 2015, 08:35 AM »
Denny....I am not sure how "good" it was :o :o

A "good" story to tell.  ;D

Offline Scout 24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Apr 13, 2015, 04:01 PM »
meatandmetal.
       Nearly all his saltwater mounts are replicas, as is my son's, and they take 60-90 days but he's trying to finish it for his Bday on 5/25. I sent him length, girth, and a couple photos to match the colors. I've got 4 trout skin mounts done in the 1970's by Old Man Perkins from Barnstead and they still look pretty good but nothing like todays artists. A couple of his deer mounts fell apart after 30 or so years, and a couple others look their age.  We had some 16-17'' crappie skin mounts done by a taxidermist in Hudson Falls NY about 10 years ago and he knocked them dead with shape and color, even freeze drying a two inch shiner that the crappie is about to eat, affixed to a small stick and hidden in the fish's throat.

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Apr 13, 2015, 07:01 PM »
Splendid mount and an even more awesome tale to go along with the memory!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Apr 14, 2015, 06:26 AM »
meatandmetal.
       Nearly all his saltwater mounts are replicas, as is my son's, and they take 60-90 days but he's trying to finish it for his Bday on 5/25. I sent him length, girth, and a couple photos to match the colors. I've got 4 trout skin mounts done in the 1970's by Old Man Perkins from Barnstead and they still look pretty good but nothing like todays artists. A couple of his deer mounts fell apart after 30 or so years, and a couple others look their age.  We had some 16-17'' crappie skin mounts done by a taxidermist in Hudson Falls NY about 10 years ago and he knocked them dead with shape and color, even freeze drying a two inch shiner that the crappie is about to eat, affixed to a small stick and hidden in the fish's throat.

Sorry, I thought that you were talking about a skin mount. Post a picture when you get it back we would love to see it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.