The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Who's excited for Trout Season?  (Read 2868 times)

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
Who's excited for Trout Season?
« on: Apr 08, 2015, 08:55 AM »
Hoping to be able to be able to get out to the Browns River this weekend. Will bring an assortment of Spikes, worms, and spinners. I'll be happy with just one fish! Any suggestions on what baits to use to get lethargic fish to bite? Anyone else heading out for trout on the opening day? I'll be sure to post about my adventure. Tight lines. PB.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Who's excited for Trout Season?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2015, 09:04 AM »
I usually wait until May for the trout fishing, because the lawn needs raking/planting and the garden tilling and the compost turning and all sorts of other projects.

Great luck to you though. :)
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2015, 10:28 AM »
Hoping to be able to be able to get out to the Browns River this weekend. Will bring an assortment of Spikes, worms, and spinners. I'll be happy with just one fish! Any suggestions on what baits to use to get lethargic fish to bite? Anyone else heading out for trout on the opening day? I'll be sure to post about my adventure. Tight lines. PB.

You're on the right track.  I'll be out covering a lot water looking for big browns that want big streamers. Sunday may be a steelhead day for me.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2015, 11:26 AM »
You're on the right track.  I'll be out covering a lot water looking for big browns that want big streamers. Sunday may be a steelhead day for me.
Where are you heading for Brown's? In a river or lake? I have a secret Brown trout hole that I hit every year, but not normally in the spring, hoping there are still fish there for me to catch!
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2015, 07:35 PM »
Where are you heading for Brown's? In a river or lake? I have a secret Brown trout hole that I hit every year, but not normally in the spring, hoping there are still fish there for me to catch!

I fish rivers mostly. Fished for an hour after work today in some high and stained water and landed a nice fat steelie. Good way to start the Spring! 

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2015, 07:57 PM »
I usually wait until May for the trout fishing, because the lawn needs raking/planting and the garden tilling and the compost turning and all sorts of other projects.

Great luck to you though. :)
you wont be raking planting and garden tilling where i live right now . snowing right now and accumilating and lots of frost still in the ground. take a break and head to your favorite trout hole.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2015, 08:03 PM »
I fish rivers mostly. Fished for an hour after work today in some high and stained water and landed a nice fat steelie. Good way to start the Spring! 
Do you use flies or worms? I'm not real big on fly fishing, since I can never catch any fish. I will probably try using some more aggressive lures. I have a 1 inch Rapala Countdown in the Silver color that normally works great for getting finicky or lethargic fish to bite, I will definitely have this in my pack. Congrats on the Bow as well! You're making me eager to hit the water!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2015, 08:42 PM »
Do you use flies or worms? I'm not real big on fly fishing, since I can never catch any fish. I will probably try using some more aggressive lures. I have a 1 inch Rapala Countdown in the Silver color that normally works great for getting finicky or lethargic fish to bite, I will definitely have this in my pack. Congrats on the Bow as well! You're making me eager to hit the water!

Mostly flies for me during open water. I still spin fish, just not very often. Got the steelhead on an egg pattern. One of the most simple yet deadly patterns for trout and even salmon at times. 

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2015, 07:52 AM »

Two favorite lures for trout have always been a #0 silver mepps with a worm on the trebbles, or one of the tiny 'F' size flatfish, also in silver. Trout are crazy over them.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2015, 08:32 AM »
I like little Rooster Tails in the small brooks.  Last year, fishing for bigger trout, I started using Kastmasters.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #10 on: Apr 09, 2015, 01:25 PM »
Used to fish trout alot not so much anymore not that i dont like them.  Just lost interest byt i have had some wonderful memories trout fishing like when i was 3 i went with my father and i caught a 16 inch rainbow when i told my dad i had a bite he just told me i was sbagged until the fish came in or when i got a 3 pound brown trout in johnson on a worm and split shot  and had to walk home bc i had no car as iwas only 13 and had cars honking and hooting out their windows like iwas a war hero.
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #11 on: Apr 09, 2015, 01:30 PM »
White trout magnet jigs are deadly on trout.
http://www.troutmagnet.com
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Apr 09, 2015, 03:20 PM »
Used to fish trout alot not so much anymore not that i dont like them.  Just lost interest byt i have had some wonderful memories trout fishing like when i was 3 i went with my father and i caught a 16 inch rainbow when i told my dad i had a bite he just told me i was sbagged until the fish came in or when i got a 3 pound brown trout in johnson on a worm and split shot  and had to walk home bc i had no car as iwas only 13 and had cars honking and hooting out their windows like iwas a war hero.

That's great stuff!  I have a lot of memories from when I was little, fishing the Winooski in Bolton. Lots of big browns!

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Apr 09, 2015, 04:15 PM »
Two favorite lures for trout have always been a #0 silver mepps with a worm on the trebbles, or one of the tiny 'F' size flatfish, also in silver. Trout are crazy over them.
those flatfish are great in trout ponds for brookies, rainbows and browns. lots of fisherman in the adirondacks use them as their secret weapon.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #14 on: Apr 09, 2015, 04:41 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, sounds like I should run to Dick's and pick up some of those Trout Magnets. I already have plenty of spinners and small hardbaits. I've used both of these types of lure before for trout, never thought of tipping a spinner with a worm though! That sounds like a great idea! Don't think I could do that with my little Rapala though, the extra weight of the worm might impair the action. Only 1.5 days left until the first morning of one of my favorite seasons. Hoping that the brook levels will stay down and the water is clear. Good luck to everyone that's heading out this weekend! PB

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #15 on: Apr 10, 2015, 06:03 AM »
Less than 24 hours until trout season officially opens. I dreamed of being out on the brook last night, can't wait to hit the water! Good luck to everyone heading out! PB

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Apr 10, 2015, 09:06 AM »
you guys can have my share of the trout and turkeys too. Ill be crappie fishing, working on my house and garden and hitting every yard sale in the valley.

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Apr 10, 2015, 09:24 AM »
you guys can have my share of the trout and turkeys too. Ill be crappie fishing, working on my house and garden and hitting every yard sale in the valley.
good luck crappie fishing . let me know when the lawn sales start my wife and her freind go over there every saturday when they have a chance and hit them all. they pick me up some pretty good fishing stuff for me  every summer especially in the burlington area.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #18 on: Apr 10, 2015, 09:54 AM »
good luck crappie fishing . let me know when the lawn sales start my wife and her freind go over there every saturday when they have a chance and hit them all. they pick me up some pretty good fishing stuff for me  every summer especially in the burlington area.
Good Enough!  ;)

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #19 on: Apr 10, 2015, 11:27 AM »
What's your PB trout, Lake, Rainbow, Brook or Brown, doesn't matter. My best trout was a nice laker from Champlain. I'll have to ask my Dad about the actual size, but it was a real nice trout.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Apr 10, 2015, 12:39 PM »
23 inch brown prob 4.5 lbs itcwas a foot ball
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Apr 10, 2015, 04:06 PM »
8lb brown lake ontario 10 lb laker champlain 4 lb steelhead champlain tributary 5 lb salmon champlain and a 18 inch plus brookie out of a adirondack pond.

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Apr 10, 2015, 05:33 PM »
good luck to all on the ist day of trout season over in vermont. hope to see some nice pictures or videos on ice shanty. im going over to the champlain bridge for salmon browns and lakers  on saturday and sunday a river for steelhead browns and salmon.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Apr 10, 2015, 08:53 PM »
Haha!  Awesome.  Ironically (see screen name) I kind of feel the same.  I've got plans to chase big trout, but these days I'm more excited by crappie.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #24 on: Apr 11, 2015, 11:32 AM »
Headed out for a couple hours this morning and didn't catch anything, but a leaf and a stick. I think I'll wait until the water warms up to try again.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Apr 11, 2015, 12:40 PM »
8lb brown lake ontario 10 lb laker champlain 4 lb steelhead champlain tributary 5 lb salmon champlain and a 18 inch plus brookie out of a adirondack pond.
brookie come out of black pond?

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Apr 11, 2015, 12:43 PM »
Haha!  Awesome.  Ironically (see screen name) I kind of feel the same.  I've got plans to chase big trout, but these days I'm more excited by crappie.
me 2 i want to get a new pb crappie my current pb is a 14 incher

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Apr 11, 2015, 07:24 PM »
brookie come out of black pond?
not even close.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Apr 11, 2015, 07:47 PM »
Took a while before I found fishable water today.  Ended up losing a 22-24" brown at my feet and then had another I'm assuming of the same size wrap me on something and cut me off.  Big nasty streamers were on the menu today....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.