Author Topic: Mouse proof fabric?  (Read 6243 times)

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Mouse proof fabric?
« on: Apr 07, 2015, 09:55 AM »
Every year we talk about mouse-proofing our flip-overs and pop-ups. Typical protection is mothballs, dryer sheets, store it where the mice aren't. The dryer sheets have worked well for me but I'm considering having a local shop make a heavy duty storage cover for one of my pop-ups. I would then only use the standard cover when fishing. I wonder if there is a fabric which mice won't chew, either because of taste or texture? For instance they don't seem to chew the vinyl covers which are standard issue for the shanties, but I'm not sure whether it's that they don't like the material or they enjoy the shanty material more.

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Mouse proof fabric?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2015, 10:23 AM »
If you go out to the RV place in Southington, they sell these little bags of things that smell like pine. Ive used them in my RV and in my boat now for 3 years and havn't had any problem with critters.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2015, 08:15 PM »
I have found this to be the easiest and most through control for the last 12 years.   Bats, mice, ants, stay away !     ;)2

http://www.bird-x.com/transonic-pro-products-71.php?page_id=137

Amazon has some, (new)  for around $30.00.   

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 07:10 AM »
stick with the dryer sheets, I use them in my 5th wheel, boat, flip over, used to use moth balls, but the smell lingered. I don't think any cover will keep those critters out, they can get into anything that doesn't have a waterproof, or air proof seal. dryer sheets are the way to go.

Offline ryan3703

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2015, 08:22 AM »
Dryer sheets have always worked great for me and never had a problem

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jun 15, 2015, 08:25 PM »
Agreed guys, dryer sheets are the go-to. All shanties loaded with sheets, but they leave a nasty smell on your hands and in the shanty. Reminds me of when mom washed my mouth out with soap for swearing when I was a kid. I was hoping for some space age rodent proof material that repels the vermin and saves me from the stench of the dryer sheets the first couple of trips each year. That smell brings back bad memories, real bad. "Did I say that word?" "No mom, no!!!!" Argh!!!  :'(  ;D

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2015, 05:55 PM »
Agreed guys, dryer sheets are the go-to. All shanties loaded with sheets, but they leave a nasty smell on your hands and in the shanty. Reminds me of when mom washed my mouth out with soap for swearing when I was a kid. I was hoping for some space age rodent proof material that repels the vermin and saves me from the stench of the dryer sheets the first couple of trips each year. That smell brings back bad memories, real bad. "Did I say that word?" "No mom, no!!!!" Argh!!!  :'(  ;D
they don't smell that bad, use rubber gloves if they do.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2015, 01:32 PM »
I use a product called Fresh Cab. you can get it at most Ace hardware stores.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 02, 2015, 02:54 AM »
you would need some thing like those shark proof garments or filet gloves .. I think they can chew threw Kevlar takes them a wile but they can do it...the reason there chewing is to chip their teeth down  kind of like most vermin like beavers etc... they make a home cause they can chew it  could try to get those traps they stick to like a fly paper traps but for mice and make a bag with those on the  outside so they stick to it ... lol's  ;D

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 03, 2015, 11:24 AM »
Funny this April thread still has life after what happened last night. I went to the barn to put new vehicle registrations in the snowsled and other stuff. Opened the storage section in the back of the sled seat to retrieve the old registrations and guess who was nesting in there? Chewed everything INCLUDING the dryer sheets I stowed to keep the vermin out when the vehicle was stored! They like plastic bags too, judging by the carnage. Brand new last year, 2015 sled seat is swiss-cheesed from the bottom.  :%$#!: This is war!!!! I set traps and poison in the spring, time to up the ante.  Two five gallon pails with peanut butter coated thimbles on wire, half full of water hopefully being deployed tonight. No life jackets by this pool.  >:(

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2015, 11:30 AM »
sad to hear about the critter damage, I've relied on dryer sheets in everything. I've also used the 5 gal bucket you mentioned, it's fun finding those slimy f'ers floating in the water. Good luck with the war.

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Aug 25, 2015, 07:13 PM »

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Aug 26, 2015, 06:09 AM »
I use a product called Fresh Cab. you can get it at most Ace hardware stores.

I tried that stuff to keep the mice out of my old plow truck. Two days after putting it in the cab the mice chewed on one of the packets and crapped on the other one. I don't think it works...

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 26, 2015, 06:34 AM »
This stuff is pretty tough

http://www.sailrite.com/easearch#!&ea_q=shelter%20rite

Thanks, I'll ask the canvas guy across the street about that stuff.

I tried that stuff to keep the mice out of my old plow truck. Two days after putting it in the cab the mice chewed on one of the packets and crapped on the other one. I don't think it works...

I tried it too, results were 50/50-ish. Darn things, I'm still engaged in all out war with them. Caught a couple in the 5 gallon pails, but their comrades figured out how to slide the spool to the edge of the bucket and lick it clean.   :%$#!: Rebaited and oiled the wire, try that Mr. Walenda mouse! Also put out four victor traps for those afraid to try the high wire. >:D

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Aug 26, 2015, 07:22 AM »
judging by the carnage. Brand new last year, 2015 sled seat is swiss-cheesed from the bottom.  :%$#!: This is war!!!! I set traps and poison in the spring, time to up the ante.  Two five gallon pails with peanut butter coated thimbles on wire, half full of water hopefully being deployed tonight. No life jackets by this pool.  >:(

Did you use a stiff wire like a coat hanger? I've used the cardboard tubes from paper towels with good luck, toilet paper tubes work also, I like trapping mice, peanut butter is the best bait. Victor traps or any trap that I use I tweek the anchor point where the arm sits so it has a hair trigger. Go get em.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Aug 26, 2015, 08:46 AM »
Did you use a stiff wire like a coat hanger? I've used the cardboard tubes from paper towels with good luck, toilet paper tubes work also, I like trapping mice, peanut butter is the best bait. Victor traps or any trap that I use I tweek the anchor point where the arm sits so it has a hair trigger. Go get em.

Yup,  1/8" wire. Looking at it after the theft, I think it may have a sticky film on it permitting the vermin to get a grip. The squirt of 10w-40 I put on the wire should change their luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.