Author Topic: RIDGID X5  (Read 10758 times)

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
RIDGID X5
« on: Apr 02, 2015, 07:17 AM »
Talking to the Ridgid factory guy yesterday. He had all the printed info on the new Ridgid X5 drill. 780 in. lbs. of torque they claim. That puts it ahead of the Milwaukee and the new DeWalt. Supposedly the Ridgid X5 will also come with 5AH batteries. With their lifetime warranty it looks like a winner.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: RIDGID X5
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2015, 08:13 AM »
thats what i'm talking about!
thats their brushless motors. their all made in the same factory for most of the power tools including milwaukee.
did he say when or how much by chance?
i knew they were supposed to be released by the end of last month.

sunniewally

« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2015, 10:20 AM »
with that idea, you  would think they would just build an auger head! make alot more sense

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2015, 10:39 AM »
thats what i'm talking about!
thats their brushless motors. their all made in the same factory for most of the power tools including milwaukee.
did he say when or how much by chance?
i knew they were supposed to be released by the end of last month.

He thinks this month because many of the Ridgid combo packages are no longer available and can't be ordered.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2015, 01:03 PM »
Milwaukee has 5ah batteries out already.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2015, 02:33 PM »
Milwaukee has 5ah batteries out already.

Yes.
At $129.00 + tax, tip and gratuities (each) a pair will really hurt you wallet.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2015, 02:41 PM »

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Apr 02, 2015, 04:15 PM »
more info

http://toolguyd.com/ridgid-gen5x-18v-cordless-power-tools/
Ridgid Gen5X 5pc Combo Kit (R9652)

Hammer Drill (R8611503)
    Impact Driver (R86035)
    Circular Saw (R8652)
    Reciprocating Saw (R8642)
    LED Flashlight (R8693)
    Charger (R840095)
    (2) 4.0 Ah batteries (R840087)
    Auxiliary handle
    (2) Bits, circular saw blade, blade wrench, reciprocating saw blade, (3) belt hooks
    Carrying bag
    Operator’s Manuals

Price: $499
ETA: March 2015

http://toolguyd.com/ridgid-x5-cordless-tool-rumors/

Reminder: TTI designs and manufacturers power tools for Ridgid, and is also the parent company of Milwaukee Tools. Milwaukee recently came out with brushless drills and drivers and higher capacity (2.0Ah and 4.0Ah) 18V battery packs. It is mainly with this in mind that I believe the X5 line (or whatever it will eventually be called) is being developed around brushless and higher-performing tools.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Apr 02, 2015, 04:30 PM »
My x4 bit hard when I wasn't paying attention and spun around, pretty sure I would have broken my wrist if it had 25% more torque! I want someone to make a drill plate that doesn't require removing the chuck,  i like to at least pretend that I bought the x4 for house projects.

Offline Perchdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2015, 07:33 PM »
If you want to use your drill for other things,get a nils or the vex k drill,that way wifey is happy with your purchases

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Apr 02, 2015, 08:04 PM »
If you want to use your drill for other things,get a nils or the vex k drill,that way wifey is happy with your purchases
.            Don't tell wifey, as long as I have the tools to get job done she don't say a word!!!

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Apr 02, 2015, 08:28 PM »
I have the ice master adapter on my 6" lazer, it works great but it would be nice to have the double handles like on a clam drill plate.  Especially since the side arm on the X4 kind of sucks. Pretty amazing setup, I punched at least 500 holes this winter and got 20-35 holes/battery in up to 36" of ice.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Apr 04, 2015, 05:15 AM »
Makita brushless smokes 'em all w/ 1,090# torque. $299 w/ charger & 2 4 amp batteries @ HD. 3yr. warranty on drill, only 1 year on batterIes. Drilled as many holes this season as needed thru 3' ice...
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Apr 04, 2015, 07:36 AM »
That one year battery warranty sucks, Milwaukee's have 3 yr, and (of course), Rigid at HD have infinite warranty.

Offline Perchdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Apr 04, 2015, 07:49 PM »
keep in mind that Ridgid's warranty is a limited lifetime warranty.If your drill goes bad they have the option to send it back
and have it repaired or they could give you a new one.So its possible you could be out your drill for 3 weeks possibly.
That was the way the tool dept. mgr.at home depot explained it to me ? Talk to them next time your in HD.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Apr 04, 2015, 09:46 PM »
keep in mind that Ridgid's warranty is a limited lifetime warranty.If your drill goes bad they have the option to send it back
and have it repaired or they could give you a new one.So its possible you could be out your drill for 3 weeks possibly.
That was the way the tool dept. mgr.at home depot explained it to me ? Talk to them next time your in HD.

you are right. mine took almost 3 weeks for an authorized service center to get the the time in his schedule to check all of my ridgid tools at once, not just one drill and then to have to wait for the parts he orders and then the time again to replace those parts. some were changed with out being worn out as precautionary.
 one tool set he said will no longer be service soon and that their 24 volt tools, in particular their 24 volt batteries. he said at that point they will replace it with the next closest option and that will be 18 volt equivalent. i am pretty sure they reserve the right to replace if not repairable, deemed by the service techs decision and the final say from emerson the parent company.

the other option would be to buy another drill and return it (with in 90 days) when yours is finished since they don't have loaner tools. no problems. i bought another set of the tools i use almost daily as i can't be with out them. i did keep them and have two of each of that set. it was only 100$.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Apr 06, 2015, 06:00 AM »
WOW......$499 seems awful pricey for a off brand drill......

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Apr 06, 2015, 06:11 AM »
$499 for all 5 tools isn,t bad at all.  for 300, i got a milw. drill with batts ,n, charger. for 200 ,i got impact driver, no batts. impact with batts ,n, driver at local dealer was 400.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Apr 06, 2015, 09:32 AM »
500$ is what they charge for that kit no matter what series it happens to be at that time.

it's only off brand if you don't know about the brand yet, like tungsten jigs when they came out. its the only brand in my world. ridgid is mostly known to the heating and plumbing industry. we watch the other brand's users go by us all of the time to get to their charging stations.

because the lifetime warranty only applies if you buy from home depot, then maybe thats why it seems off brand to you. they are the only company who sells the brand in a large franchise store. home depot also allows you to try tools and return them if not happy with-in 90 days and they have them all for you to try. they are not every where lowes or menards is, so maybe thats another reason they seem off brand to you.

i paid 280$ for the drill and charger and 2 batteries (4 ah) and a bag (thats the normal price for the hammer drill and 4 ah batteries for each series). each tool cost another 100$ when buying separately every day pricing, some costing a tad more. the drill kit i bought came with a free impact driver 1/4" hex. but that tool is supposed to cost 100$. my drill kit was cheap because of that free tool tossed in. you HAVE to buy the batteries in a kit in order for them to have the LSA (life time warranty) other wise, they only have 3 years on them if bought separately.

the big kit (5 piece), each extra tool is 100$ on top of the base price of 280$ for the drill and battery and charger and bag, so the  circular saw, the recep saw, impact (so now we are up to 580$ if you are doing the math) and they throw in (2) Bits, circular saw blade, blade wrench, reciprocating saw blade, (3) belt hooks and flash light that should cost about 40$ if buying separately.

they make bigger kits too, just not in the x5 series yet. the x4 has them up to 1000$.

my 18 volt ridgid i just bought, was bought with the intention to exchange it for the x5 when it came out, but i will keep a few of the other tools i bought separately that are not available in the x5 yet. i made my own kit so i could have 18 volt options like their 1/2 impact driver that has 300 foot pounds @ 3800 ipm for car work and where i need to free bolt/nuts. also i will keep the "job max" tool unless they let loose the x5 for that also.

the series are interchangeable between 4 and 5, if 5 is what they end up calling them. they were ordered by a copy right judge to not use 5 as a series because milwaukee already has a x5 some thing or another in their line up, so this new kit may end being called x6 or some thing all together different.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Apr 07, 2015, 07:57 AM »
According to the link from ToolGuyd, the X5 is not brushless and comes with 4 amp batteries; not sure if that's a typo.

"Ridgid makes some very strong claims about their new permanent magnet motors, but the new Gen5X tools are NOT brushless. Maybe a couple of new brushless tools will be released later on, but there hasn't been any indication of this."

I wouldn't spend this much money on a drill that's not brushless.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Apr 07, 2015, 09:23 AM »
According to the link from ToolGuyd, the X5 is not brushless and comes with 4 amp batteries; not sure if that's a typo.

"Ridgid makes some very strong claims about their new permanent magnet motors, but the new Gen5X tools are NOT brushless. Maybe a couple of new brushless tools will be released later on, but there hasn't been any indication of this."

X2

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Apr 07, 2015, 09:51 AM »

X2

so you would buy into some thing you have to keep spending on tho. i get it.   ???

brushless used to mean more inch pounds, not any more. so now the brushless camp is not top dog any more.

Gen5X Hammer Drill Torque: 780 in-lbs. Battery Warranty Lifetime. Tool Warranty: Lifetime.
http://toolguyd.com/ridgid-gen5x-18v-cordless-power-tools/

M18 FUEL™ 1/2" Drill
Peak Torque: 725 in-lbs. Battery Warranty 3 Year. Tool Warranty: 5 Years.
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2603-22

some one has to keep the other brands alive. the company making the brushless is also making the brushed life time motors, so you that want a limited warranty, will be buying my batteries and parts and labor. thanks for helping them.

your not spending that much money on a drill, you would be spending that much money on a group of tools that you never have to spend any more money on again for the rest of your life, un-like any other brand that you buy batteries and parts and labor after a short amount of time. batteries only take "x" amount of charges no matter what brand you decide on. those are for the most part, the same technology.

then again, you didn't mean 500$ for a drill, right?

your 130$ batteries @ retail, times 2 every 3 years and say you have another 9 years to live would only cost you another 530$ for just the batteries and hope the tool last that long w/o parts/labor.

so that means you are willing to spend even more for just batteries!
i totally understand your logic now.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Apr 07, 2015, 10:21 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-11-1840-REDLITHIUM-Extended-Capacity/dp/B00BYFNTAS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426012543&sr=8-1&keywords=4ah+Milwaukee     Note price, no where near $130, kinda like the chevy ford thing, you like yours I like mine!!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Apr 07, 2015, 10:40 AM »
of coarse my listing was retail, not sale pricing. lets use your numbers;
it will cost you another 308$ every 9 years if you actually use your tools all year around if you can still find them at discounted pricing. isn't that what you paid for the tool in the first place? thats like buying the tool every 9 years over and over again. hope the tool last as long too.

the numbers don't lie.

people saying they would never spend so much on just one tool, when its a group of tools makes no sense.
saying they would rather keep spending on just one tool makes no sense.
like you say, to each their own. thanks for supporting the other brands. it helps, a lot.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Apr 07, 2015, 12:52 PM »
  I guess there are a bunch of dumb asses out there that bought Milwaukee!!  They bought them for a reason reputation!!  Like I say you like yours , we like ours!!   That is a everyday price on amazon!!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Apr 08, 2015, 08:27 PM »
good news! i found another site that is authorized by ridgid to have the life time service agreement (LSA) on the tools they sell. not on reconditioned tools tho. those are 1 year.
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/brands/ridgid

was looking for the jobmax 3/8" ratchet head add-on that home depot quit selling. they are on amazon, but would only carry a 3 year warranty because they are not an authorized seller.
ridged customer service said simply call ridgid when ever you want to know who is or isn't authorized when seeking to buy ridgid tools.
she said they new GEN5 ridgid will be brushed and 4 ah batteries and will be in kits only at first and show at random in stores. more than likely waiting to clear out the x4 first in stores.

Contact RIDGID
Phone: 1-800-4-RIDGID (1-800-474-3443)
Email: [email protected]

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 09:12 AM »
the gen 5 x ridgids are out and a 100$ off the kit. i'm on the way to upgrade mine. i had to call ridgid to see if they are interchangeable with older series or not and they are.

Special Introductory Offer
home depot only for the LSA
http://www.ridgid.com/gen5x/
499.99$
Save $100
399.99$

Offline jakefetch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2015, 10:34 AM »
I just picked up the Milwaukee Fuel 18V Hammer Drill for $264, and came with a free 4.0a battery separately.  Just noticed this is not a brushless motor.  How critical is that?  I could grab a Rigid X4 Hammer Drill with 2 2.0a batteries for $199, this is not brushless either.  So for less $ I can have a lifetime warranty,  I would just have the 2 2.0a's vs. the 2 red lithium & 1 4.0a batteries.  What are your thoughts?

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2015, 03:41 PM »
jakefetch, i wasn,t aware milwaukee made a m18 hammerdrill that wasn,t brushless. i know mine is brushless. bought kit of drill, 2 4.0 red lith. batts , and charger in carry case last year. yours might be a diff. model? anyway, put that badboy on a clam plate with a 6" mora ,n, enjoy. it,s the nuts for ice. wire

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.