New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Brookings SD  (Read 1233 times)

Offline CPace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Brookings SD
« on: Apr 02, 2015, 04:06 AM »
OK everyone, my youngest son and his wife are moving to Brookings, SD to work for Pioneer.  Never fished that state, winter or summer.  No, I am not asking for your "honey hole", just some tips on decent areas to fish and camp in that area.  Maybe a litle about what you would recommend fishing for...  walley, trout, pike, what???  (would like them to be within an hour drive of there, if at all possible).  Any help would be appreciated!!!

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Brookings SD
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2015, 08:44 AM »
Hey bud I'm originally from SD. I fished more in the western and central part but the eastern part has great fishing for every kind of fresh water fish. About a 1/2 hour north of Brookings is Lake Poinsett it can be very good for alot of different fish, but if you go an hour north above Watertown the prairie lakes up there are famous for walleye, northerns, bass and all kinds of huge panfish. There are so many lakes north of Watertown that it would take all day to name them. Find Waubay Lake on a map and check that area out. There is no closed season for any fish in South Dakota so go get em. Let me know how you make out. I'm jealous.
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2015, 10:15 AM »
I've never been fishing in SD but since you haven't gotten too much feedback let me just say there are a lot of fishing shows shot there and the fishing looks great.

Check In Depth Outdoors, In Fisherman, and The Next Bite. They've all had some good shows in SD and a lot of them are available on Youtube. Lots of walleyes, HUGE perch, pike, panfish, bass.

I just saw an In Fisherman raving about those prairie lakes a couple hours north of Brookings.

Good luck!

Offline eyedoctor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2015, 04:44 PM »
I lived in SD for ten years. I did most of my fishing on the missouri river for walleyes. I also had good luck on lake thompson and madison lake which are not to far from brookings. I loved it there and I bet you will too.

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2015, 08:38 AM »
You should be able to find some pheasants out there.  I'm from Fargo, north of brookings 2 hrs.  If you head west a little bit there should be pheasants everywhere, as well as posted land, there should be public land mixed in though.

http://gfp.sd.gov/hunting/areas/maps/default.aspx

Offline CPace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2015, 03:09 AM »
Hey bud I'm originally from SD. I fished more in the western and central part but the eastern part has great fishing for every kind of fresh water fish. About a 1/2 hour north of Brookings is Lake Poinsett it can be very good for alot of different fish, but if you go an hour north above Watertown the prairie lakes up there are famous for walleye, northerns, bass and all kinds of huge panfish. There are so many lakes north of Watertown that it would take all day to name them. Find Waubay Lake on a map and check that area out. There is no closed season for any fish in South Dakota so go get em. Let me know how you make out. I'm jealous.

Will do, and thanks for the direction!!!  ya, i'm kind'a stoked too!  thanks!

Offline CPace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2015, 03:10 AM »
I've never been fishing in SD but since you haven't gotten too much feedback let me just say there are a lot of fishing shows shot there and the fishing looks great.

Check In Depth Outdoors, In Fisherman, and The Next Bite. They've all had some good shows in SD and a lot of them are available on Youtube. Lots of walleyes, HUGE perch, pike, panfish, bass.

I just saw an In Fisherman raving about those prairie lakes a couple hours north of Brookings.

Good luck!

Sounds like a plan!!!  Thanks!!

Offline CPace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2015, 03:11 AM »
I lived in SD for ten years. I did most of my fishing on the missouri river for walleyes. I also had good luck on lake thompson and madison lake which are not to far from brookings. I loved it there and I bet you will too.

I appreciate the information!  They all sound like good options!!!

Offline CPace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2015, 03:13 AM »
You should be able to find some pheasants out there.  I'm from Fargo, north of brookings 2 hrs.  If you head west a little bit there should be pheasants everywhere, as well as posted land, there should be public land mixed in though.

http://gfp.sd.gov/hunting/areas/maps/default.aspx

Wow, that sounds good too!!!  You guys are great for help'n out!  Now i can't wait till the son gets moved up there!!!!  LOL!!  Sure hope he and his wife don't mind a lot of company!!!   ;D

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2015, 07:19 PM »
Spent 6 months in Willow Lake SD  back in the early 2000's fished a bunch of great spots for walleye, pike, crappie, white bass etc all over the Brookings, Clark, Watertown & Webster/Waubay area. What an amazing area for fishing & pheasant hunting. You will have a blast out there with so many great opportunities for fishing.

Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.