The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: A sweet end to my champlain jiggin season (Pounded Em!!)  (Read 1934 times)

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
played hooky again  ;D ;D

Good morning sunshine

Holy Moly 272lbs!!

Goodbye beautiful

Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: A sweet end to my champlain jiggin season (Pounded Em!!)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2015, 07:32 PM »
wow bring them over and we will run them through my grinder.

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2015, 07:33 PM »
 What a season, but it really is time to put up the flasher and jig poles
Officially my best ice season to date bite after bite after bite...
I wish I could put in words properly what fishing is to me. At one moment IceFiend asked me today "Are you having fun?" amidst 200lbs of fish lying on the ice I think my response was "Well Im certainly catching a lot of fish"
 When we are on the whites the group is usually pretty tight together and most exchange some conversation and we B.S a little, Some like to enjoy their drinks, some like to enjoy there greenery(I used to call that my fishing goggles). There is quite a variety of usually men often in the trades and others unemployed. For the most part I seldom run into the undesirables.
   There are people who fish and there are Fisherman. I am a fisherman. Its not about fun although I enjoy it thoroughly. Its not about money, but I do like the added challenge of making as much as possible. Its about fishing, I am a fisherman my life revolves around it, the more tightly the better. I sit there looking down my hole, slightly listening to the banter around me, ever alert at full attention waiting, watching for the next Bite. Hours Fly by, the pile of fish grows and I am where I belong Fishing
   Thank you Ice shanty VT, This site has given me the opportunity to meet many new fisherman friends and grow and learn new fish, new methods as a fisherman.
  I will be back to the big lake next winter I lost a slob wallhanger at the hole and he will be in my thoughts time to time until next season

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2015, 07:40 PM »
wow bring them over and we will run them through my grinder.
If they were oilier Id take you up on that I go thru a shoot load of ground fish chumming tuna/sharks every year. Id rather grind yellows, I was cutting them up for bait today an feeding seagulls

Offline sam2013

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2015, 08:09 PM »
Glad you had such a good season.  Love the passion.  It reminds me of my beer coozy.  It says "born to fish, forced to work."

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2015, 08:16 PM »
Nice work Wes! White perch grow so fast you're gonna need a 10" hole for that monster next year. I'm really looking forward to our trip this summer!

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2015, 08:29 PM »
What a season, but it really is time to put up the flasher and jig poles
Officially my best ice season to date bite after bite after bite...
I wish I could put in words properly what fishing is to me. At one moment IceFiend asked me today "Are you having fun?" amidst 200lbs of fish lying on the ice I think my response was "Well Im certainly catching a lot of fish"
 When we are on the whites the group is usually pretty tight together and most exchange some conversation and we B.S a little, Some like to enjoy their drinks, some like to enjoy there greenery(I used to call that my fishing goggles). There is quite a variety of usually men often in the trades and others unemployed. For the most part I seldom run into the undesirables.
   There are people who fish and there are Fisherman. I am a fisherman. Its not about fun although I enjoy it thoroughly. Its not about money, but I do like the added challenge of making as much as possible. Its about fishing, I am a fisherman my life revolves around it, the more tightly the better. I sit there looking down my hole, slightly listening to the banter around me, ever alert at full attention waiting, watching for the next Bite. Hours Fly by, the pile of fish grows and I am where I belong Fishing
   Thank you Ice shanty VT, This site has given me the opportunity to meet many new fisherman friends and grow and learn new fish, new methods as a fisherman.
  I will be back to the big lake next winter I lost a slob wallhanger at the hole and he will be in my thoughts time to time until next season
Wow Wes, your speech nearly brought tears to my eyes. I couldn't of said it better myself. I'm a fisherman as well, and I'm proud to be one. I have a passion for fishing and my Dad embraces this passion by taking me fishing nearly every weekend. I love being immersed in God's creations, feeling their strength and seeing the beauty. It's the same reason why I hunt. I Love to be in the outdoors and I feel very lucky to live in a state that has some sort of fishing or hunting season running year round. The outdoors is my oasis, my home away from home. Without it I wouldn't be able to escape the everyday hustle and bustle of the world around me. A special thanks to my family who have brought me up in this lifestyle and to the people of Iceshanty VT. Although there might be some arguing at times, you are all a great bunch of people that love the outdoors. Thank you and good luck! PB
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2015, 08:33 PM »
 Nice job Wes. I'm debating on whether to head back to St. Albans Bay or go into the islands for some panfish? The decision is killing me, seeing all the whites that you caught. Not sure where we are going, but I'll be sure to let you know the results of our trip either way.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2015, 08:42 PM »
Nice work Wes! Heard about your epic catch through the grapevine! You've got me beat now for a one day catch! Crazy!

I can appreciate your take and reflection on the art of fishing as a whole... For me, it's an art, an adventure, meditation, and a source of contentment all at once. Where would I be without it? Not as spiritually well off, that's for sure. It is those moments that I had in mind when I created this video, which I think captures the sentiment well when I reflect on my endeavors:

Thank god for fishing.  :)

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Apr 02, 2015, 07:57 AM »
Nice work Wes! Heard about your epic catch through the grapevine! You've got me beat now for a one day catch! Crazy!

I can appreciate your take and reflection on the art of fishing as a whole... For me, it's an art, an adventure, meditation, and a source of contentment all at once. Where would I be without it? Not as spiritually well off, that's for sure. It is those moments that I had in mind when I created this video, which I think captures the sentiment well when I reflect on my endeavors:

Thank god for fishing.  :)X2 Beautiful Vid Weatherman!!! Although we don't all agree on different subjects ie. barometers, old school vs new school, flashers ect. One thing we all share is the passion/curse we call fishing. I was fortunate enough to have a Grandfather and a Dad that both had that same passion and introduced me to it at a very young age. I in turn have passed that on to my children and grandchildren. We are all truly blessed to live in an area where we are able to harvest nature's bounty while basking in it's beauty and serenity.  Thanks for all the lively debates and knowledge shared. So take a kid fishing and tight lines to all! :tipup:

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2015, 08:48 AM »
Holy Cow, Wes ... what a way to end your ice season!!  A new record haul for Ice Shanty VT.  It was great to meet you this year and I definitely plan to keep in touch.  Good luck in your "big water" adventures!

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #11 on: Apr 02, 2015, 09:17 AM »
Holy Cow, Wes ... what a way to end your ice season!!  A new record haul for Ice Shanty VT.  It was great to meet you this year and I definitely plan to keep in touch.  Good luck in your "big water" adventures!

Records are made to broken, go get em while you can. Next year I'm shooting for a 600 lb day!!

Offline slopoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH ON!!
« Reply #12 on: Apr 02, 2015, 09:22 AM »
ATTABOYWES! I too love to fish! somedays im more of a fisherman, some days I just want to enjoy the company. im very much looking forward to the boating season. I just bought a 24' pontoon boat and cant wait to do some catfishing on it! I have already planned, and booked my summer trips on the ocean! My last ice fishing will be tomorrow and maybe Saturday slaying pike!
its easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission... FISH ON!!!

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Apr 02, 2015, 10:53 AM »
Got to love it when the best day is the last day.  Makes you crave the first day of the following season even more.  Kind of like making eagle the 18th hole.  I've been lurking and watching the perch escapades over here all season, glad you hammered them.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Apr 02, 2015, 06:59 PM »
very cool!

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Apr 02, 2015, 07:10 PM »
Nicely written!

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #16 on: Apr 02, 2015, 07:22 PM »
nice wes my currant record is 178lbs i didnt come close this year maybe next year
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Apr 02, 2015, 07:56 PM »
Guys are hanging it up and Im still thinking of doing the 10hr round trip drive to get one more day trip in.  Congrats on a epic trip, no better way to wrap up a season!

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #18 on: Apr 02, 2015, 08:12 PM »
 :o :o Thats a mess of whites. Nice job Wes. Thats ending it on a High note :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Almost time to get that boat ready
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.