The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Chu opening pushed till May 2nd 😞😞  (Read 8412 times)

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
Re: Chu opening pushed till May 2nd 😞😞
« Reply #30 on: Apr 02, 2015, 07:44 PM »
Do I have to come show you guys how to catch big fish, bahahaha :-) I just go for the scenery with the bonus of a biggie. 🎣👍
Would be something to see a laker taken on a 9" grape worm. LOL
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline craiger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swedish steel is for real
« Reply #31 on: Apr 02, 2015, 07:47 PM »
Good one Ed.  Your thread had me going for a minute.  The only thing I questioned was the ice thickness, but after this winter I'd believe almost anything. 

I saw a fanboat out on the res coming home from work this week, no foolin!  It was on the big section east of the 140 causeway. As if I weren't rubbernecking bad enough every time I drive by looking at the open water, err, I mean ice.  Sorry Keith ;)

Nice deer carcass on the ice, too.   :sick:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #32 on: Apr 02, 2015, 07:49 PM »
Would be something to see a laker taken on a 9" grape worm. LOL

You know one would too!  We get them on 5" jerk shads in quabbin on purpose!  Drop shoting 130' down is awesome!

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #33 on: Apr 02, 2015, 07:53 PM »
Good one Ed.  Your thread had me going for a minute.  The only thing I questioned was the ice thickness, but after this winter I'd believe almost anything. 

I saw a fanboat out on the res coming home from work this week, no foolin!  It was on the big section east of the 140 causeway. As if I weren't rubbernecking bad enough every time I drive by looking at the open water, err, I mean ice.  Sorry Keith ;)

Nice deer carcass on the ice, too.   :sick:

Now if we could ice fish on the Chu that deer might be in someone's freezer right now not going to waste.
🍔
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Apr 03, 2015, 07:13 AM »
the 18th might be more realistic. as of now its the 11th.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Apr 03, 2015, 07:26 AM »
Can't wait!  I'm learning that it may be more difficult to get my boat on LG than quabbin! 

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #36 on: Apr 03, 2015, 02:31 PM »
Its too bad the 10" BlackGrape even with a light tungsten weight can't outcast a lure for distance.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Apr 03, 2015, 02:39 PM »
Lakers like plastic worms. The only two i have ever kept had plenty of them in their stomachs.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Apr 03, 2015, 02:47 PM »
Lakers like plastic worms. The only two i have ever kept had plenty of them in their stomachs.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Apr 03, 2015, 05:22 PM »
I have been removing them from my arsenal for this very reason.

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Apr 03, 2015, 06:20 PM »
biodegradable would work.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Apr 03, 2015, 07:52 PM »
biodegradable would work.

That is an option as well. Im going to focus more on hard plastics i think. Once what I have left for soft plastics is gone i will avoid them if I can.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #42 on: Apr 03, 2015, 09:12 PM »
That is an option as well. Im going to focus more on hard plastics i think. Once what I have left for soft plastics is gone i will avoid them if I can.

I apologize to your catch rates Will.  I'd like to break your stones as you know...but you are insane to not use plastics.  Do your self and your fishing a favor and at least drop shot some gulp. 

Also I will point out a completely contradictory situation...guys complaining about worms they find in trout they are killing.  Irony I suppose.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Apr 03, 2015, 10:38 PM »
I apologize to your catch rates Will.  I'd like to break your stones as you know...but you are insane to not use plastics.  Do your self and your fishing a favor and at least drop shot some gulp. 

Also I will point out a completely contradictory situation...guys complaining about worms they find in trout they are killing.  Irony I suppose.

Well in a put and take industry like trout you don't want any to die that you personally don't kill.   Oh and Jon, Will only likes them hard 😜
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #44 on: Apr 04, 2015, 04:30 AM »
...In any event.  I think last night might have helped erode some ice.  I'm headed out now for a toothy adventure.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Apr 04, 2015, 01:36 PM »

I agree Jon, hard plastics take more skill to catch and my catch rates will suffer for a short time im sure. But knowingly polluting the fishery is just something I cant get on board with. I try to properly dispose of every soft plastic that gets trashed on a given trip. But as anyone who uses them knows, some just dont make it back to the boat.

I dont want to turn this tread into that discussion. This is just my personal view. Biodegradeables may be an option. Im reading the are made of fish food and break down in 2-3 weeks. I have seen normal soft plastics last over a year in the water.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #46 on: Apr 06, 2015, 10:24 AM »
Rubber worms will always be one of the BEST baits around and will ALWAYS be sold! I will also use them bass fishing legal or not! Enough with this topic! Its pathetic anyways! Yup I will NOT change my opinion on this subject, so don't bother trying! Make them biodegradable or shut the hell up is what I say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just like hard plastic and big hooks some people love to leave in a fish's throat! Hard plastics and metal don't break down any better than soft plastics! Sick of this topic already! 

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Apr 06, 2015, 03:32 PM »
Rubber worms will always be one of the BEST baits around and will ALWAYS be sold! I will also use them bass fishing legal or not! Enough with this topic! Its pathetic anyways! Yup I will NOT change my opinion on this subject, so don't bother trying! Make them biodegradable or shut the hell up is what I say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just like hard plastic and big hooks some people love to leave in a fish's throat! Hard plastics and metal don't break down any better than soft plastics! Sick of this topic already!

Cant compare hard plastics to soft. Unless your losing 6-10 hard plastics per trip?

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #48 on: Apr 06, 2015, 03:42 PM »
Cant compare hard plastics to soft. Unless your losing 6-10 hard plastics per trip?
I don't lose many worms! I bet more guys lose tackle trout fishing with light line than I lose rubber worms with heavy fluro leaders. Like I said, not stopping me!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Apr 06, 2015, 03:59 PM »
I don't lose many worms! I bet more guys lose tackle trout fishing with light line than I lose rubber worms with heavy fluro leaders. Like I said, not stopping me!

Im not sure what your leader has to do with soft plastics getting ripped off hooks or shredded in half by slime darts. And like i said, its a personal choice. I wont be shocked if changes are made to regs tho.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Apr 06, 2015, 04:03 PM »
Enough about the damn soft plastic baits.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Apr 06, 2015, 05:59 PM »
Enough about the damn soft plastic baits.

Thats what happens when you mess with the Chu Ed.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #52 on: Apr 06, 2015, 06:35 PM »
Im not sure what your leader has to do with soft plastics getting ripped off hooks or shredded in half by slime darts. And like i said, its a personal choice. I wont be shocked if changes are made to regs tho.
Its actually quite simple, your 4-6# line for trout fishing will break and get cut off far easier than my 18# fluro! Then your precious hard plastics get eaten up! I rarely get my worm ripped off the hook, not an issue for me. I should know, I'm the one buying them. Like Ed said, enough with this stupid debate. Best selling lure on earth, rubber (soft plastic) worm. You may get them banned at the chu or Quabin, but that won't bother me!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Apr 06, 2015, 06:51 PM »
Never seen 4 hard plastics or 4 of any other bait in the contents of any other fishs stomachs.

This came out of one laker from Maranacook Lake ME

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Apr 06, 2015, 07:01 PM »
Who fishes with dollar bills?

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Apr 06, 2015, 07:04 PM »
Who fishes with dollar bills?

No wonder you dont catch anything!!

To clarify, i dont care what people use to catch fish.  If u use plastics thats cool. But dont pretend and be ignorant to the fact that they are harmful to every fishery they are used in, just because they catch u fish..

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Apr 06, 2015, 08:53 PM »
Well maybe I should start.   Looks like the one you caught had one in it.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #57 on: Apr 06, 2015, 09:43 PM »
Yup no Berkley 10" power worms in that pile 👍

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Apr 06, 2015, 10:31 PM »
Wow! That's a lot of plastic baits! I once found one sticking out of the throat of a brown I caught while ice fishing… I wondered how many others he's eaten and whether or not he'll be able to crap them out.

That pic leaves me conflicted.. I'm now dying to use soft plastics for lakers but don't want to contribute to the inevitable bowl obstructions.
Is super gluing the bait to the hook standard practice? I like to do that so they don't slip down… I never really cared before if I lost a few… now I do!

And yes, enough about soft plastics  :)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Apr 07, 2015, 05:24 AM »
Yup no Berkley 10" power worms in that pile 👍

Its that mentality that leads to sweeping reg changes. "Never seen my bait come out of a fish i DONT keep".  ???
Then the changes come and its post after post of "shocked face" emoticons.

Its always interesting to me when the topic of C&R is raised and how quickly some people are to jump on and support it. But question something they are doing that is an obvious detriment to the fishery and may cast them in a bad light and its "Shut up about it all ready!!". Like they are worried someone will find this post and use it to pass some regs. If what you're doing isn't a problem as you say, what are you worried about? Or maybe its just guilt, and you don't like being reminded that what you are knowingly doing is in direct conflict with your beliefs? I dont know..

Bottom line, it is a problem, there are studies being done as we speak looking into it, changes will be made. If you continue to use your them if/when they make those changes, dont fish with Ed. According to his signature, he will turn you in in a heartbeat. And rightfully so.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.