The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Chu opening pushed till May 2nd 😞😞  (Read 8415 times)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Chu opening pushed till May 2nd 😞😞
« Reply #90 on: Apr 09, 2015, 06:33 AM »
Or do these bass typically hit the worms head first?

Bass as well as most predatory fish hit from the head first. Think about how u unhook baitfish like perch or bluegill. Slide your hand down head first to you dont get stuck. Apply that logic to a bass feeding. Tail first sounds like a chocking hazard.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #91 on: Apr 09, 2015, 07:07 AM »
How do you rig a 10-12 inch worm? Seems like a Texas-Rig hook would only cover such a small part of the worm (unless it was a 5/0 to 7/0) that it's hook up percentage would be lower. Or do these bass typically hit the worms head first?
I use a 4/0 Gamakatsu "super line" work hook with 10" worms, Texas rigged with a 1/16 or 1/8 oz. Tungsten slide (bullet) weight. Fluorocarbon leader about 6' long. Tied with a blood knot to the main braided line. 20# main line with a 15-18# leader. If using a 12" worm I use a 5/0 hook. When bass strike, they inhale the entire worm into their mouth in one quick gulp. Once you know it's a fish, set the hook quick before they swallow it,  (I can usually tell a bass from a pickerel, usually).

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #92 on: Apr 09, 2015, 09:17 AM »
Bass as well as most predatory fish hit from the head first. Think about how u unhook baitfish like perch or bluegill. Slide your hand down head first to you dont get stuck. Apply that logic to a bass feeding. Tail first sounds like a chocking hazard.

There are several different attack / feeding methods bass employ and they are well documented.  A majority of the way a bass takes the bait includes sucking the entire bait into their mouth.  No preference on heads or tail whatsoever.  Google it if you think I'm blowing smoke.  The research on the subject is extensive.

Here's just one example:

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2423693?sid=21105942784381&uid=4&uid=3739576&uid=2&uid=3739256

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #93 on: Apr 09, 2015, 11:22 AM »
There are several different attack / feeding methods bass employ and they are well documented.  A majority of the way a bass takes the bait includes sucking the entire bait into their mouth.  No preference on heads or tail whatsoever.  Google it if you think I'm blowing smoke.  The research on the subject is extensive.

Here's just one example:

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2423693?sid=21105942784381&uid=4&uid=3739576&uid=2&uid=3739256

Didnt see anything in that linked article that said they didnt have a preference. Infact they stated the exact opposite.

Differences in the pattern of approach to prey indicated that the bass distinguished different types of prey

Are you saying these fish are smart enough to distinguish their prey, but are to dumb to know the best way to swallow it without choking on it?

Study or not. It doesnt take a scientist to know trying to swallow a perch or bluegill tail first is a bad idea. But hey, if you want to perform a study, try it out, let us know how you make out.

Note - May wanna have sum1 familiar with the Heimlich nearby just incase your wrong.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #94 on: Apr 09, 2015, 11:36 AM »
You are the smartest guy I know. 

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #95 on: Apr 09, 2015, 11:44 AM »
Keith, contacted the shop about the Kong worms since they didnt say they were biodegradable in the description. Turns out they arent. Sorry man.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #96 on: Apr 09, 2015, 03:38 PM »
Keith, contacted the shop about the Kong worms since they didnt say they were biodegradable in the description. Turns out they arent. Sorry man.
That's ok, I'll continue to use what has been working for us bass anglers for 50+ years. When Berkly puts out a 10" BlackGrape power worm in biodegradable form, I'll buy them. Until then blame the companies that make the worms for trout massacres. 👍

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #97 on: Apr 09, 2015, 06:23 PM »
Boom order placed. Should be here by the time the chu opens up.

Cant wait to start catchin pig bass on them and feel alot better about not polluting the waters or the fish in the process.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #98 on: Apr 09, 2015, 08:03 PM »
Boom order placed. Should be here by the time the chu opens up.

Cant wait to start catchin pig bass on them and feel alot better about not polluting the waters or the fish in the process.
👍👌✌👏🎉🎣🍻🍔🍟🐟🐠🐬🐋🐳

Offline Slabosorous

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Apr 10, 2015, 06:45 PM »
I use a 4/0 Gamakatsu "super line" work hook with 10" worms, Texas rigged with a 1/16 or 1/8 oz. Tungsten slide (bullet) weight. Fluorocarbon leader about 6' long. Tied with a blood knot to the main braided line. 20# main line with a 15-18# leader. If using a 12" worm I use a 5/0 hook. When bass strike, they inhale the entire worm into their mouth in one quick gulp. Once you know it's a fish, set the hook quick before they swallow it,  (I can usually tell a bass from a pickerel, usually).

Cool, thanks! Might up my worms from 7 inch to 10/12 inch this season! Is the bullet weight just to get it down a bit when you retrieve, or so that you can like crawl it along the bottom?

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #100 on: Apr 11, 2015, 03:50 AM »
Cool, thanks! Might up my worms from 7 inch to 10/12 inch this season! Is the bullet weight just to get it down a bit when you retrieve, or so that you can like crawl it along the bottom?
I fish allot of weedy, lily pad , sunken tree areas, the weight helps penetrate the thick stuff. It also helps when bouncing of the bottom during retrieval. Finally the little extra weight helps get the work out further, especially on windy days. I've caught 10-12" bass on a 10" worm, do they aren't too big. The biggies like them too though! Good luck and feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.