New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Danger Time  (Read 8502 times)

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Danger Time
« on: Apr 01, 2015, 01:30 AM »
Just a little reminder fellas i been on the ice the last 3 days..ice is melting from the bottom to the top..all the run off water has melted alot of the black ice.the ice on top may look safe but its soft white ice..this will cause what is honeycomb ice you can fall threw with ease..i met alot of new ice fisherman this yr and you new guys on the ice may not realize what honeycomb ice is myself after this week i wouldnt go out it can be cold at night and keep the top layer of ice looking solid and the water is still melting the black ice underneath..most of us expierienced ice fisherman look at ice changes where as a new ice fisherman may not yes the fishing is good at ice out but they will still be there open water just looking out for all my fellow ice fisherman..at least 4 inches of the black ice has melted in the last several days..

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Danger Time
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2015, 05:21 AM »
you are 100% correct my friend!  you new guys  it's time to carry a spud and have a life jacket on ....throw  rope to boot ...me I'm fishing open water now

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2015, 06:36 AM »
Yah, went out on a CNY lake this past weekend.. I was really pushing the envelope.. If you really want to get in that one last ice outing take a trip and head north, still a good amount of ice up that way..
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2015, 06:41 AM »
Cmon guys don't scare everybody away! The ice is still plenty strong in the north country, and almost everywhere else until you start going south.. there's still guys fishing on Otsego and the finger lakes that rarely freeze, I'm not done yet by any means I'll wear my life vest and bring my picks but i wont be planking.. this is when flags pop up fellas!

Offline Bear Lake Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2015, 06:55 AM »
Cmon guys don't scare everybody away! The ice is still plenty strong in the north country, and almost everywhere else until you start going south.. there's still guys fishing on Otsego and the finger lakes that rarely freeze, I'm not done yet by any means I'll wear my life vest and bring my picks but i wont be planking.. this is when flags pop up fellas!

I agree strongly with the thought on using planks to get on/ off any  lake. There is a break even point on any iced body of water, and  it comes any day now :tipup:

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2015, 06:58 AM »
Once I see open water between the shore and the ice, I call it a season. Until then, fish on.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2015, 07:28 AM »

Otsego was 17 inches of clear ice on Sunday .....  and i checked the temp yesterday when it was 46 in Albany and i saw 34 out in Cooperstown so i am sure even the shorelines would be fine right now.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2015, 12:12 PM »
Looking at the weather and assuming conditions are gonna be ok is not the way to go about it! As stated, the ice is deteriorating around me on an ADK lake as we speak. From Sunday to today, at least half the black ice is gone. And that's with cold nights! I may go out one or two more times, and I'm done. Guys should not even think about snowmobiles and wheelers anymore.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2015, 12:24 PM »
some boys are still driving trucks out on some bodies of water up here. lots of ice. were still getting snow and cold and all kinds of BS lol i might go out just one more time to fill a pail-o-perch on the st lawrence.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2015, 02:08 PM »
This morning on Oneida I noticed that the black ice was as soft as the white ice when I drilled a hole. It will go downhill fast...

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Apr 01, 2015, 02:20 PM »
When was ice fishing ever not "danger time" ?  I never thought this sport was the right one for the risk adverse. 

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Apr 01, 2015, 03:41 PM »
I was gonna say and i should of put down the lakes around me otisco owasco and skineatles lakes i can speak of my location is on here auburnny i cant speak of lakes up north..and i always look at ice as dangerious its fun also but...just be safe everyone and i think i maid my point saying ice is melting frim bottom to to top..didnt mean to make people upset..

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Apr 01, 2015, 04:11 PM »
Looking at the weather and assuming conditions are gonna be ok is not the way to go about it! As stated, the ice is deteriorating around me on an ADK lake as we speak. From Sunday to today, at least half the black ice is gone. And that's with cold nights! I may go out one or two more times, and I'm done. Guys should not even think about snowmobiles and wheelers anymore.

You stated on the reports and conditions thread that this weeks temperatures would do little damage to the ice and shoreline.. Yet you say the ice is deteriorating as we speak.. So I assume its unsafe for me to walk out onto 4th lake tomorrow morning?

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Apr 01, 2015, 04:34 PM »
You stated on the reports and conditions thread that this weeks temperatures would do little damage to the ice and shoreline.. Yet you say the ice is deteriorating as we speak.. So I assume its unsafe for me to walk out onto 4th lake tomorrow morning?
I did say that, and I shouldn't say anything at all and let people use their own better judgement. The ice on 4th is much different in three days time. The top layer is starting to honey comb and split apart, and a few inches of black ice is definitely gone. You should be fine tomorrow, but I'm curious to see what it looks like come Saturday.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Apr 01, 2015, 06:18 PM »
Bottom line - Now is the time to be EVEN MORE cautious on the ice. Gas holes are getting wider, cracks will get more unsafe, creeks are eating away the ice, the ice is melting from the top and bottom now.

Be Safe.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Apr 01, 2015, 07:16 PM »
stop!  tblaster123 your spreading untruths to  start fights !  no where  did I or anyone else say not to fish! lose of ice was honestly reported  and I said  time to carry a  spud a  rope and a life jacket ......others reported  the  lose of ice on the lakes they are fishing! this thread was started about a  finger lake and  the ice there .....now  if  you  check and  the ice on your lake  is safe in your opinion well have at it and enjoy yourself ..... 

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #16 on: Apr 01, 2015, 07:17 PM »
 Everyone thinks the temps are the main factor,The ever increasing amount sunlight in the day does the real damage especially those clear blue sky days, you can hear the ice making that rice crispy noise.. I've seen a foot of ice go to hell in 24 hours this time of year especially if it rains, rain and ice fishing in april = playing with fire..Plus if you are going to an area thats been being fished regularly in the past week or so be very very carefull.. Old holes have a way of hiding themselves well..

Leaves and small branches uncovered from snow blown onto the ice with the sun beating on them for a couple days can make nice little holes for rain to run down and eat the ice up from the bottom also.. Just some stuff to think about.. Trust me if i had my way i would ice fish year round lol..

I know how its , I used to fish all sorts of ice, you get out there, lake to yourself, drill a hole and you got 20 inches of ice, and you are you like , FREAKING AWESOME , then you take 5 steps and go through..

Ive planked out onto lakes more times than i can count, all ill say is dont do it without waders on, ice not touching shore will drift, ive seen it drift closer to shore and beach itself and ive also seen it drift twice as far away.. Oh and its a myth that you sink like a rock with waders on, they actually help you stay more boyant because they will hold air pockets..

Tid bit of advice, no your sled wont float like a boat with you in it..Gear yes, person , no... at least me anyway and i weight about 220

TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline wnyicer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Apr 01, 2015, 07:33 PM »
Big shoreline issue is the sun on rocks and such that is no longer snow cover to keep them cool , usually shoreline is shallow and warms with lack of snow and runoff. Carry a set of 2x10's and enjoy spring ice fishing just error on the side of caution. Late ice = fish

Offline Sodusitous

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That hole ain't gonna drill it's self !
« Reply #18 on: Apr 01, 2015, 09:58 PM »
I fished Cayuga today. There was 12" of suspect ice. Everyone should keep in
mind that it is now April. In CNY especially the Finger Lakes,  we are usually clocked
out by now. Today was good where I access, tomorrow may be as well. After that,
who knows? For all I know, 500 yds north or south of my location could have been
a death trap. Bottom line, if you want that last trip out, use common sense. Take all
safety measures - PFD, spud, spikes, rope and a buddy.  I would not suggest a solo trip
as there may be no one else out there to help you this time of year. If you are a newby
Or don't have enough experience to recognize the "signs" of compromised ice, listen
and learn from those that may know more. And even decades of experience on the ice
is no guarentee. There are no guarantees when it comes to ice - especially on April 1st!
"More is lost to indecision than wrong decision"

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Apr 02, 2015, 12:23 AM »
Exactly..sodus....i didnt mean to start anything but this is iceshanty..and it was meant for the lakes of otisco cayuga and owasco just pointing things out for new guys that may not pay attention or know what is happening to the ice...ive been on the other side of the ice its no fun at all...its very scary and it was late ice to....thank god i had buddys with me....and i knew how to keep myself above the ice sorta..its just no fun...its scary ive taken a few guys under the old ice wing first time out on ice and not one time time did they ask how to read ice ......just wanted fish...whats safe for me may not be safe for others......

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
« Reply #20 on: Apr 02, 2015, 01:20 AM »
Well said, Sodus.
And let's all do each other a favor....Today when we were out, my son and I helped a very old man carry his gear out on the ice. I kept an eye on him across the bay, just like I keep an eye on my tip-ups. He wouldn't have been able to help himself had anything gone wrong - let's look out for each other and use good judgement - it is April and more and more posts across Shanty are going up about "us losing another one" or guys going through.
Slimy pickerel ain't worth swimming for in April.
Anyone can be a fisherman in May...E.H.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Apr 02, 2015, 05:39 AM »
All this abundance of caution and I haven't even brought the plank out for CT yet.  25 minutes north of me and were cutting 18" of ice no honeycomb at all.  Walked right on.  Some people like to be dramatic about these things.  Use your head and you'll be fine.  If your done ice fishing don't waste your time preaching to the guys that are.  We have wives for that.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Apr 02, 2015, 07:19 AM »

long as you guys say it's safe ,good enough for me  :roflmao:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Apr 02, 2015, 07:26 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Looking good trapper!  I was worried guys would steal my hot hole so I put my truck in it!

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Apr 02, 2015, 01:28 PM »
All this abundance of caution and I haven't even brought the plank out for CT yet.  25 minutes north of me and were cutting 18" of ice no honeycomb at all.  Walked right on.  Some people like to be dramatic about these things.  Use your head and you'll be fine.  If your done ice fishing don't waste your time preaching to the guys that are.  We have wives for that.

I agree. Walked onto my lake this morning and laughed out loud as I had to get on my knees to finish drilling the first hole... Havent lost much ice at all.. I measured 2 feet of ice on March 20th.. Today it was just a touch over 21 inches.. The fish were on fire and I'm glad I went its always a great time on late ice.. Easy walking and not much competition!

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Apr 02, 2015, 01:33 PM »
I think this is a great post. All your doing is looking out for your fellow fishermen(women)..... Giving everybody reports of bodies of water you fish as well as a reminder that it is that time of the season to be extra careful. You are always going to come across know it alls and troublemakers. Just have to ignore them and give them our best. Because I don't want to see anyone go through, get hurt, or worse no longer be with us. This is also a great thread for newbies to read.   Because they don't have the experience of some of us seasoned old bones on here.  ( And even some of us have gone through) They may also not have an experienced person to teach them and they learn by their own experiences and by those of us on here who are nice enough to help out by giving tips and tricks. So kudos to you. I hope you had as good as a season as I did. And here is to many more!!! CHEERS  :tipup:
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Apr 02, 2015, 01:55 PM »

tip up lol

Offline Rob W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Apr 02, 2015, 02:00 PM »

and that, boys and girls, is why you never tie your tip ups to the bumper of the truck... that pike must of been HUGE!!!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Apr 02, 2015, 07:32 PM »
exactly  some  ice in the north will be good  down here it's gone .....big merely  mentioned a word of caution and  the drama  queens  waved a flag and attacked ....  if you think your safe and want to fish then by all means  do so .....I don't care!   the water I  ice fish  in honeycombed  .....after  50 years I have  come  to the conclusion if I drop the spud and it goes threw  turn around  go home .....no where did anyone say  don't fish ......  I have seen some say they had taken their last trip out  .....this isn't about  winning a  fight or  telling anyone not to fish ....it was  about telling people  the  ice on otisco was  fadeing fast ...... I remind  people big guy  posted on the otisco thread all winter  gave up great info and fishing spots and  got more new comers on fish then anyone I seen .... he  gives a  word of warning because he seen the  black ice fading and the knuckleheads jump on the  guy  and make storys up  amazing truly amazing

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Apr 02, 2015, 07:44 PM »

I agree. Walked onto my lake this morning and laughed out loud as I had to get on my knees to finish drilling the first hole... Havent lost much ice at all.. I measured 2 feet of ice on March 20th.. Today it was just a touch over 21 inches.. The fish were on fire and I'm glad I went its always a great time on late ice.. Easy walking and not much competition!

Thank you.  It's a shame because lots of people miss out on the best ice fishing of the year?  Why?  The thing that scares me all the time is how much people assume ice is safe the rest of the time, and it seems that those people, the ones that don't understand how ice actually degrades, telling everyone else to run away.  I bet not many here, despite being able to say honeycomb, know actually how it forms and when. 

In any event I don't hate on anyone for it, they all do guys like us an amazingly awesome favor. 

Did I mention I haven't even had to plank in CT yet? 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.