The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: How close is too close?  (Read 3345 times)

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: How close is too close?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 28, 2015, 09:13 PM »
Had it happen today fishing the whites. Was on a nice spot and was pulling in 12" sized and some yahoo starts his ATV and drives right thru the entire field of flipovers, guess what happened to the slabs...the scattered of course.
Then when I moved away from the pack of shanty's same thing, someone comes over on an ATV, stop within 15' and pops a dozen holes only to leave moments later, and this happended twice today and the whites scattered every time.

Did fill pails full, but was hard with the amount of traffic and hole popping going on.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #31 on: Mar 28, 2015, 09:33 PM »
debating on calling out lol i just dont wanna deal with the weekend yahoos driving through
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 28, 2015, 10:43 PM »
Personally, I think it's sickening that some people have the nerve to literally drive their wheelers 5' from your shanty, fire up their augers and then pound out a dozen holes within 10 yards of you.  There were fish ALL over that area, but the vultures flocked heavy to one spot. Wes and I moved a few times and probably out fished them all while staying away from the crowds. Just because there's 10 shanties near each other doesnt mean they're pounding fish. It just means they're too lazy to put in the time to search for their own ( which took very minimal work to do today). Regardless, I had a blast and I'm sure everyone else did too. I couldn't help but to shake my head when we would hear and feel the wheelers and sleds being dragged within feet of us inside the shanty.

So back to the topic at hand. Even if I know the person thats fishing the area first, I'll still ask if it's alright.  Luckily most of the people I know that ice fish are very eager to share spots.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 29, 2015, 04:40 AM »
The buttheads would stay home if fish couldn't be sold. No money, no buttheads and no intrusion in your space  ;D

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #34 on: Mar 29, 2015, 04:55 AM »
The buttheads would stay home if fish couldn't be sold. No money, no buttheads and no intrusion in your space  ;D

I agree.  You want to see the "finest" in human nature?  Throw money into things and you see what happens...

Offline CHAMP04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Mar 29, 2015, 04:36 PM »
If your on the fish or you know they are there, drill 15-20 holes and put tip-ups in them. Just place them in with the line not off the spool and set the flag. No one is dumb enough to drill in between a bunch of tip-ups, and if you want to move you just pull one up, fish and put it back in when you move. I use to have 50-60 yards to myself by doing that. 

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 29, 2015, 04:50 PM »
If your on the fish or you know they are there, drill 15-20 holes and put tip-ups in them. Just place them in with the line not off the spool and set the flag. No one is dumb enough to drill in between a bunch of tip-ups, and if you want to move you just pull one up, fish and put it back in when you move. I use to have 50-60 yards to myself by doing that.

I have actually thought about doing that. I have the thermal ones so would be easy to make them look like they are setup.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Mar 29, 2015, 05:46 PM »
I have been ice fishing for years and am fortunate to have been able to do it with so many great friends. I don't mind if others fish around me and I often invite them in to fish the holes I drilled if the bite is on. What goes around comes around. If I am trying to reopen the holes from the day before and people are either in them or have a tip up grid around them I ask if it would be OK to fish and explain I was there the day before. 90 percent of the time I am told no problem. Those are the sportsmen I like to be around. If I get a no I look elsewhere and most often get right back to good fishing but in a slightly different spot. My view is it is just fishing and it isn't worth having a problem with someone else over it. On the flip side I have seen people become irate and almost come to a fistfight over someone getting too close. I can't respect a person like that and try to get as far as I can away from them. Fishing is supposed to be fun.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #38 on: Mar 29, 2015, 05:53 PM »
I don't like the idea of setting tip-ups as a blocking maneauver,there is something just wrong with the whole idea,it sounds too selfish to me.taking up space just so's no one else will fish it.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 29, 2015, 06:07 PM »
 ??? All depends on who and where?   Yesterday we had a snow machine drag a shanty all the way across the lake and set it up 50 ft. away from the holes we were jigging for white perch.   No problem.  They asked if it was Ok to tie down there and we said OK.   It was a two trap lake and they set four traps on the far side of the shanty.  They quickly caught four really nice small mouth.   When we left I gave them a half dozen of our white perch and they gave me a bag of bass fillets.
You have to learn to share and be tolerant.

Dick

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Mar 29, 2015, 06:29 PM »
I will share a story that happened to me today up at Campbells since we are taking about how close is too close and basically sportsmanship in general. I was after flat fish and was working a series of 4 or 5 holes all close together but a ways away from the crowd. The bite fell off so I took out the power auger and opened another 5 or 6 holes from my set up to another 20 yds. I was walking back to the wheeler with the auger and here comes a wheeler with 2 young teenagers on it and they stopped at the new holes I opened. I didn't say a word and they started to fish...and catch. Along comes the dad from where he was a hundred yds away. He walked up and chewed out the 2 kids for doing that and told them they should have known better. I spoke up and said they are just kids and it is great they want to fish. I told him I didn't have a problem with them fishing. I thanked him for doing the right thing and when the kids left the hole they apologised to me for fishing "my" holes. I told them no problem and I hoped they have good luck fishing. That dad did a great thing and those kids will hopefully end up just like their father. The word good sportsmanship comes into play. That dad had it and it made my day.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Mar 29, 2015, 06:48 PM »
I will share a story that happened to me today up at Campbells since we are taking about how close is too close and basically sportsmanship in general. I was after flat fish and was working a series of 4 or 5 holes all close together but a ways away from the crowd. The bite fell off so I took out the power auger and opened another 5 or 6 holes from my set up to another 20 yds. I was walking back to the wheeler with the auger and here comes a wheeler with 2 young teenagers on it and they stopped at the new holes I opened. I didn't say a word and they started to fish...and catch. Along comes the dad from where he was a hundred yds away. He walked up and chewed out the 2 kids for doing that and told them they should have known better. I spoke up and said they are just kids and it is great they want to fish. I told him I didn't have a problem with them fishing. I thanked him for doing the right thing and when the kids left the hole they apologised to me for fishing "my" holes. I told them no problem and I hoped they have good luck fishing. That dad did a great thing and those kids will hopefully end up just like their father. The word good sportsmanship comes into play. That dad had it and it made my day.
great dad and great kids to enjoying fishing. thanks for sharing.

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Mar 29, 2015, 07:55 PM »

I heard heard that conversation. Class act on dad and kids for apologizing. As for people moving around and apparently encroaching on  people's space...get over it. It's a part of fishing. No one is special on the ice, especially on weekends.

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 29, 2015, 08:11 PM »
Well said, esp fishing Champlain. It happens all the time so get over it or break the guys fancy orvis rod.
Thank You!!!

Offline CHAMP04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Mar 29, 2015, 08:18 PM »
Last time I had a problem with space was 6 years ago. I only get to come home 2 weeks a year so I could care less what people do anymore. I've actually had a couple times this month that I invited people into the shanty that didn't have one. You go fishing on the coasts there's a whole new level of space.

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 29, 2015, 08:46 PM »
Well said, esp fishing Champlain. It happens all the time so get over it or break the guys fancy orvis rod.

It's not like I'm having sleepless nights over it haha. Just wanted to see if other people felt the same way I did about space or not. Based on the responses Id say that most other fishermen have the same kind of respect that I do. I Don't think I'm high and mighty or own the lake. Just feel there should be some respect between fellow fishermen.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Mar 30, 2015, 08:55 AM »
Hardwater.... I saw that happen to you.  I couldn't believe it when they set up their shanty right in tight between 2 others and then drilled holes all the way around their shanty.  I don't think I ever saw them catch a fish, either.  A little later on, I was just north of that fiasco, fishing an old hole that I had opened up.  My son had hand-drilled a new hole maybe 4ft away or less.  We didn't catch anything right away so he moved on.  I started catching fish pretty steady in my hole and some guy walked up and started fishing the hole that my son had just drilled <4ft away.  I was shocked, but couldn't really say anything since my son had left.  I got a kick out of it, though, because I caught probably 20 fish out of my hole and he couldn't catch a one.  He even tried changing jigs and stuff and just couldn't catch one.  He walked away and my hole had kind of dried up so I hopped over to that hole and caught a few more.  It tickled me in some sick way!!   >:D

So, yes, I believe that was too close, especially for all of the commotion that he made.  But, I'm also not typically a panfisherman (or white percher), so I'm not used to having so many people that close together.  It makes me kind of uncomfortable.  We pike, perch and trout fish a lot, and we usually try to give other people a WIDE berth in those situations.

Did you end up fishing out deep by the green can later in the day, by any chance?

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Mar 30, 2015, 09:28 AM »

I think every situation is different.  There is a big difference between some kids dipping your holes 30-40 yards from your base and someone firing up an auger 5 feet from your shelter door and using your tip up pattern for their ATV slalom course.  In this case the dad did the right thing and everyone had a good time.  As for the Orvis guy, well enough said.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 30, 2015, 04:02 PM »
Crayfish, we actually sat there for another hour and a half hoping the fish would come back but no luck. So we packed up our stuff and left. Just figured if we sat in one place for too long that they would follow.

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Mar 30, 2015, 04:17 PM »
This is to funny , I poste the  same question on the Manitoba site , response was all  positive .....which was great , stories were even better .I give everyone space as it depends a lot on water depth as well as species ......we normally fish twenty feet so when a pike grabs the line and goes it can cover some ground ! Everyone is normally good  and respects the boundaries  but I had a guy come and drill 4 feet beside my hole one year . I didn't say anything , but gave him the stink eye , and he even asked if I minded when I asked him if the lake wasn`t big enough . He eventually left and wandered into another group .......it didn`t go that well for him there ......he left shortly after that ..LOL...Guys came and asked or as they said ....you had to have known him ......but I never meet the guy , then or ever after . But it seems to happen every where .Talked with two elderly gents two weeks ago and the proceeded to tell me how they had a guy drill holes outside of there shanty and then lean against it as a back rest .......holes were two feet apart from there`s ..............some people !
Enjoy The Ride ,You only Get One Chance

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.