The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: How close is too close?  (Read 3355 times)

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
How close is too close?
« on: Mar 28, 2015, 12:46 PM »
So I am sure everyone has their own opinions but I just want other peoples thoughts on this. When someone is fishing an area how close is too close to get to them? How close is too close to drill a hole near someone? I always give fellow fisherman plenty of room, never dragging my shanty too close and definitely keeping a reasonable distance when drilling holes. Only reason I ask is because while fishing in a spot today for about 2 hours, having relatively good luck, some gentleman came within 5 feet of our shanty, started his gas auger and drilled about 8 holes, all of which were less than 10 feet from where we were sitting. Needless to say the fish we had under us were gone, and never to return. I know everyone has opinions, and i realize that I do not own the lake by any means, but just curious as to other peoples thoughts on "respectable distance"...

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How close is too close?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2015, 01:03 PM »
I try to keep at least 10 to 15 yards from other people jigging and 25-50 yards for tip ups if I am jigging.

Offline seayaknh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2015, 01:09 PM »
5 ft?  That would mean he literally cut a hole right next to you!  I have never seen even the most ballsy fisherman do that, without being invited.

My opinion, 20 yards is reasonable and using a power auger is also. 

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2015, 01:13 PM »
5 ft?  That would mean he literally cut a hole right next to you!  I have never seen even the most ballsy fisherman do that, without being invited.

My opinion, 20 yards is reasonable and using a power auger is also.

No joke. It was 5 feet, and he drilled at least 8 holes total before he shut it off... All 8 holes were within 10 feet of our shanty.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2015, 01:20 PM »
I always ask do you mind if i fish this hole if its close to  somebody most of the time they dont mind because i asked but to just start popping holes that close is very rude im assuming you were in st albans and this happened.
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2015, 01:26 PM »
I always ask do you mind if i fish this hole if its close to  somebody most of the time they dont mind because i asked but to just start popping holes that close is very rude im assuming you were in st albans and this happened.

Yes you are correct...

Offline icehooker802

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2015, 01:33 PM »
All depend if i found fish in a spot saturday went back sunday and someone was there, id fish 5 ft from them

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2015, 01:34 PM »
All depend if i found fish in a spot saturday went back sunday and someone was there, id fish 5 ft from them

You would start your gas auger and drill 8 holes all within 10 feet of them?

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2015, 01:35 PM »
Not trying to sound like an ass at all... Just curious....

Offline icehooker802

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2015, 01:45 PM »
No id walk up to u id say hey i found fish here yesterday im gunna fish this today. Is that cool? And almost anyone would say yes

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2015, 01:50 PM »
I agree 110%... If you ask hey can I punch a hole here, then yea of course you can, I don't own the lake. But to come over, drop, slam and bang all your stuff on the ice, punch 8 holes only to fish them for 30-45 minutes then walk away is just not cool...

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2015, 01:54 PM »
Happened to me there yesterday had a huge school under me and my buddy flasher was going ballistic then this guy starts up his auger and starts poppping holes and they were gone in a flash and i almost told him where to stick his auger i mean there are hundreds of holes why drill bu us and ruin the fishing and makes us wait 45 minutes to a hour for em to come back shich is what it ushally takes for em to come back
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2015, 01:57 PM »
We waited for 2 hours and the school never came back. A stray here and there but no school  :'(

Offline icehooker802

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2015, 01:59 PM »
Had a asian guy come stand 3 feet from me and fish a hole i drilled, almost killed him finally got mad and told him to get away from me

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2015, 02:16 PM »
YOU JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID!

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2015, 02:21 PM »
How was the bite today heard that they were getting em good

Offline HardWater518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 28, 2015, 02:24 PM »
How was the bite today heard that they were getting em good

Well i have heard of days where people fill multiple pails with the whites... today wasn't one of them days but we did end up with enough for a few meals and my son and girlfriend had a good time...

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 28, 2015, 02:37 PM »
I think that many people out there spooked em

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 28, 2015, 03:03 PM »
Makes you wonder when this law from the VT guidebook starts to apply:

INTERFERING WITH HUNTERS, ANGLERS
AND TRAPPERS: It is illegal to intentionally
interfere with someone who is lawfully
taking fish or wild animals, or to disrupt
the taking of any fish or wild animal by
harassing or disturbing the fish or animal.

Offline ISLAND STORM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 28, 2015, 03:08 PM »
Twenty five or thirty yards without asking. Any closer and you should use common courtesy and check in with the fisherman who was there first. Just my opinion though.
My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Tight lines and be safe.

Offline Registered Kayak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ..............and then there were none.
« Reply #20 on: Mar 28, 2015, 03:41 PM »
I personally give people 75-100yd of clearance. Dragging and drilling makes lots of noise underneath. I wish others could show some respect. Dillenbeck this year was horrible with personal space. not to mention fools rolling up to you in their trucks, while sliding to a stop.
The more obnoxious occurrences were on small ponds with people knocking on the tent as if they are wanting to make confessions?

Offline perchhauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 28, 2015, 04:37 PM »
what really sucks is getting "boxed in" by several  guys so you can't move around to stay on fish.  this happens a lot when fishing sunnies.   some places are worse than others, in the islands some guys will move in 10 feet if your on fish and there not.   but your the a hole if you say anything

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 28, 2015, 04:42 PM »
what really sucks is getting "boxed in" by several  guys so you can't move around to stay on fish.  this happens a lot when fishing sunnies.   some places are worse than others, in the islands some guys will move in 10 feet if your on fish and there not.   but your the a hole if you say anything
i hate that drives me nuts

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 28, 2015, 05:29 PM »
Great story right there VTWoodchuck. I applaud you :clap:

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 28, 2015, 05:34 PM »

Yea, but the shame of it is that nobody wins and we both ended up having our day ruined.  Sometimes I just can't fathom why people can't apply some common sense and just be civil to other sportsmen?  I will say that I would be willing to bet the guys that would think it's ok to drill close to another fisherman are from a younger generation than me. 
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Mar 28, 2015, 05:38 PM »
x2

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #26 on: Mar 28, 2015, 07:56 PM »
I saw those guys I was there, I think they thought they were gonna come in and do a real stroke of business. I bet they didn't get half a pail all day. we moved away from them shortly after they set up, and we were all set up. But we got away from the crowd and resumed pounding perch! The world is full of idiots, I think its best to try and work around them. However sometimes they should get Knocked the #$@k out!
Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline sam2013

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 28, 2015, 07:57 PM »
That's way too close no matter what but I think determining an appropriate distance is relative to where you are and how many people are around in general.  I usually try to avoid crowded places so I don't have to worry about stuff like that.  If I see someone fishing a spot I was thinking about trying, I'll try a different spot that day.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Mar 28, 2015, 08:02 PM »
Yea, but the shame of it is that nobody wins and we both ended up having our day ruined.  Sometimes I just can't fathom why people can't apply some common sense and just be civil to other sportsmen?  I will say that I would be willing to bet the guys that would think it's ok to drill close to another fisherman are from a younger generation than me.

Good story, I usually draw the line before destroying someones fishing stuff, but understand where you come from.  I fish a very popular trout river in CT that is chock full of orvis yuppies, they tend to crowd me if they are many and I am alone, using a spinning reel.  Sometimes the conflicts are unavoidable so I fish elsewhere.

Yesterdays jigging was in a well known spot and subsequently there were a handful of strangers jigging a specific area, no issues at all.

Pike fishing Western Mass I will sometimes have to ask people jigging to give me space.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Mar 28, 2015, 08:24 PM »
It depends on the situation, I think.  There's a delicate balance, and I try to be polite and respectful.  I like to have space sometimes-- especially when I've worked hard to find the one tiny spot that holds the crappie.  On the other hand, if I've worked hard to find that spot, and the next day there's someone fishing my holes, I'll fish that spot with them.  Or maybe it's a spot I know, or maybe my best guess, and somebody's there.

I travel light and use a hand auger.  If I want to fish near another fisherman, I'll walk up, say hello and chat a bit, ask about the bite.  If I want to fish there I might say something like "I don't want to crowd anyone, but I'd sure like to catch some of those, too" and estimate what is a respectful distance but still close enough to get in on the bite.  When I show that kind of friendly respect, more often than not the other fisherman says "pull up your bucket and fish one of these holes that I've already drilled".

Yesterday I was on a hot crappie bite, alone.  There were a bunch of holes...  mostly left from somebody who apparently failed to find the crappie that were there, but some that I'd drilled by hand. Two guys with power augers walked up and were about to start drilling.  I said "hey!  There are plenty of holes and they're biting right now, just under the ice!"  They said "cool.  Sometimes people get mad if you don't drill your own holes."  Moral of the story is, they were about to ruin my fishing by trying their best to be polite.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.