The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: best techniques for early spring browns in shallows  (Read 973 times)

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
best techniques for early spring browns in shallows
« on: Mar 28, 2015, 09:20 AM »
Just wondering because I've never targeted them. I've done well on the steelhead off the piers in the late fall. I work in construction so I don't have the time in the spring to try for browns. If I have a plan of attack I may take the time to give it a try. Anyone have some tips??
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline WestSideAl8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pants up, don't loot!
Re: best techniques for early spring browns in shallows
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2015, 11:31 AM »
Browns in shallow water are very wary of boat traffic. Long lines and or planner boards are the key. Get your lures as far away from the boat as you can. Trolling with Rapala's or similar body baits seems to work best. You will want to target areas close to creek or river mouths. Surf casting with waders also works with spawn or minnows Good luck

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2015, 02:44 PM »
makes scense to me. thanks a lot

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2015, 10:59 AM »
Fishing from a Boat, Pier, or River?  I prefer pier fishing in the spring even though I have a couple boats I usually wait until the weather warms a little more before using them.  Spawn and casting of the piers is a really good way to target browns in the spring.  Casting a crock or crank have taken browns for us this spring so far off the pier.  One of my all time favorites is a white mariboo jig at the right time.  River would be spawn, woolly bugger flies, or small cranks.  Boat same as Westside pretty much good advice, also copper spoons.  I have a couple copper screwball spoons that seems to do well on the browns also.

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2015, 03:31 PM »
Thanks. I will have to watch the weather. my 18.5 does good on surf but it does have its limits. I might end up on the pier.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2015, 10:42 AM »
I should have mentioned the pier fishing has been on the south end of the lake. I hear the last storm has cleared a lot of the ice and snow from Elberta side and Frankfort pier is clearing but still has some buildup.  I will probably be out there or on the beach one day this weekend since there will not be any ice.  Good luck.

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2015, 05:04 AM »
It will be at least a couple weeks for me.

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2015, 03:39 PM »
Another issue I have is that all my salmon last year were males. I've used the spawn from a local store in the region with no success . guess I'm just using lures. lol

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 02, 2015, 12:28 PM »
That is tough for sure.  I am split on the Fresh, Cured, Frozen, or store bought bait.  I have seen several times one work better than the other and then some times doesnt seem to matter much.  I usually vacuum seal what I can get my hands on each fall and use that the next year.  We do cure some and usually us a mix when we are fishing to see if there is much differance in the bite.  I sat last Sunday and watch a couple guys new to fishing use some store bought skein make it look like I didnt even have bait on my hooks.  I was using some fresh Brown spawn on 2 rods and some vacuum sealed King spawn that had tor them up 3 days before.  Ended up with 2 fish after those guys got there limit and left.  Seemed like all I could manage was hits and realing in empty bags.  The week before the store bought skein was not producing a hit while I was cleaning up on nice fresh Browns and a few Coho.  Go figure.  Water is warming a little on the south end and have seen a few caught on spoons and the boats guys are starting to pick up a few trolling.  Looking forward to a day on the beach this weekend in Frankfort.

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Apr 18, 2015, 11:04 AM »
Pretty much like a ghost town on here now

Offline rusty spud

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2015, 09:23 AM »
spawn off the piers or surf.
I have also had good success throwing kastmasters off the pier.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.