The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Sad Day  (Read 2553 times)

Offline fishing is life

• IceShanty Rookie
Sad Day
« on: Mar 27, 2015, 12:48 PM »
It's always a sad day when you put your traps away for the year. Mine are all packed away and ready to use next year, are any of you still fishing?

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sad Day
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2015, 12:50 PM »
Still a week if not 2 of hot late season fishing to go!

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2015, 01:11 PM »
Warmer weather last couple of days has me thinking about shad and stripers, but I'm not done on the ice yet.  Fishing this weekend at least, and hopefully next will still be decent too.  I'm close to the 100 togue mark for the season, just need a few more!

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2015, 01:20 PM »
Nice togue numbers @)  Curious how many days on the ice it took you to get there?

Warmer weather last couple of days has me thinking about shad and stripers, but I'm not done on the ice yet.  Fishing this weekend at least, and hopefully next will still be decent too.  I'm close to the 100 togue mark for the season, just need a few more!

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2015, 01:56 PM »
It's always a sad day when you put your traps away for the year. Mine are all packed away and ready to use next year, are any of you still fishing?

You must live way down South! I'll be on the ice for quite a while. ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline Blue heron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2015, 02:02 PM »
Just checked china lake lots of water on the ice.

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2015, 03:12 PM »
I don't plan on stopping yet. 30 inches of ice doesn't melt overnight. 

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2015, 04:11 PM »
Yup.  China Lake is not alone with the water on top.  Blub....blub.

Offline gradysjeep

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2015, 04:13 PM »

It will freeze tonight.  Fishing the dead sea in the morning. :tipup:

Offline SparkyT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2015, 04:17 PM »
I didn't fish near as much as usual this season, and to be honest, though it pains me to say it, I didn't have a lot of interest for much of the season.  Going into the season, I was as gung ho as usual.  Then the snow showed up at the end of January, I was sick for a couple of weeks, and felt like every spare moment for weeks was spent on snow removal.  The ice fishing wheeler that I bought prior to last season gave me some troubles early on, and by the time I got it back in action, there was too much snow for wheelers.  Late Feb/early March I spent far too much time on a ladder working on ice dams that caused leaks in my new porch roof, and by then I was so fed up with winter that I proclaimed that I was done fishing, bring on spring.  Now I'm spending extra time on the weekends trying to get a work project buttoned up, and by the time it is, the only fishing I'll be doing is open water!

I love winter - the cold part - but I HATE snow.  Here's to hoping that 2016 will be more favorable!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2015, 04:42 PM »
Alas one thing about it mine are all ready for next year...hope it's a better year for me...  Didn't get out once...😡
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2015, 07:43 PM »
Nice togue numbers @)  Curious how many days on the ice it took you to get there?

Just checked my log, after this morning, I'm at 99 togue in 18 trips, average trip about 3-4 hours of fishing.  I rarely get a full day to fish, funny thing is the one day this season I had a whole day to fish was my only togue skunk!  Hopefully still time for a few more before iceout.

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2015, 08:12 PM »
Thanks for the stats!  Impressive.  Your ice time per trip is much like mine.  I've been on the ice just 10 times.  I don't have 99 togue!  Congrats on a nice season!

Just checked my log, after this morning, I'm at 99 togue in 18 trips, average trip about 3-4 hours of fishing.  I rarely get a full day to fish, funny thing is the one day this season I had a whole day to fish was my only togue skunk!  Hopefully still time for a few more before iceout.

Offline phatptrck1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2015, 10:18 PM »
Iced 35 crappie today, on tipups. If i had my set of creepers it'd have been great walking.

Offline Slammin_Brookies!!

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Speed an Accuracy" Airborne all the Way 82nd!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2015, 11:16 PM »
I am gonna try to make it out one last time on Friday.  After that it's getting packed in. I am ready for the boat and so is Dad and Kaileigh. Got a lake house rented on a nice trout pond for a week of vacation. Bring get on Spring. I'm ready to drag some smelt and hear some fly rods scream!!
"Go Big or Go Home"

Offline slt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2015, 03:11 AM »
I didn't fish near as much as usual this season, and to be honest, though it pains me to say it, I didn't have a lot of interest for much of the season.  Going into the season, I was as gung ho as usual.  Then the snow showed up at the end of January, I was sick for a couple of weeks, and felt like every spare moment for weeks was spent on snow removal.  The ice fishing wheeler that I bought prior to last season gave me some troubles early on, and by the time I got it back in action, there was too much snow for wheelers.  Late Feb/early March I spent far too much time on a ladder working on ice dams that caused leaks in my new porch roof, and by then I was so fed up with winter that I proclaimed that I was done fishing, bring on spring.  Now I'm spending extra time on the weekends trying to get a work project buttoned up, and by the time it is, the only fishing I'll be doing is open water!

I love winter - the cold part - but I HATE snow.  Here's to hoping that 2016 will be more favorable!

Right there with ya brother....one quick trip this year catching junk fish (Bass n Pickerel). Lack of time / motivation. Too much snow......maybe next year
diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Offline Chebeague

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2015, 11:12 AM »
Two lights how was the ice holding up on sebago? Headed out on Tuesday and hopefully Wednesday also hoping to pass the 100 togue mark for the season.

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Here fishy, fishy, fishy...any second now."
« Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2015, 12:07 PM »

Right there with you SparkyT!
I fish.                                                         

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 29, 2015, 01:43 PM »
Two lights how was the ice holding up on sebago? Headed out on Tuesday and hopefully Wednesday also hoping to pass the 100 togue mark for the season.

Still solid where I was yesterday, not even much melting along the edges yet.  Minimum 14" mostly solid black ice.

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
« Reply #19 on: Mar 29, 2015, 02:17 PM »
Wow,

Best conditions for ice fishing late in the season I have ever witnessed in over 35 years of Ice Fishing Maine.  Fished a central Maine Lake favorite this morning, Blue skies, not a cloud in the sky, no wind, 40 plus degrees, over 32" of ice!  Never have I seen such excellent spring Ice Fishing Conditions in my entire Lifetime in Central Maine!  I'd say the sad thing is you gave up and put away your traps way to early young man!  Think again next year, it will be a long wait to open water this year, take advantage of what mother nature offers you now!

Respectfully,
EmeraldShiner

Offline Chebeague

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 29, 2015, 03:23 PM »
Great I'll be on sebago Tuesday and Wednesday.

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #21 on: Mar 31, 2015, 11:57 AM »

Sounds like my story. I was even thinking of selling my gear and going south for the winter, but there's not a lot going on in Bucksport either. This has been a strange year with fishing the ice. Places that I usually nail the fish it was terrible.
Steve

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Mar 31, 2015, 12:07 PM »
south for the winter, but there's not a lot going on in Bucksport either.

AM I the only one who caught this   LOL    :clap: :thumbsup: :bow:
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 31, 2015, 03:11 PM »
While one season comes to an end, there's another coming right on its heels.  That's the beauty of Maine, there's always something to look forward to.  We get to put the auger, traps and snowmobile away, and break-out the boat and rods (although that will be awhile for us up here!); then do the reverse in the fall, with some hunting in between.  I don't think I could live in a place where the seasons never change. 

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 31, 2015, 03:15 PM »
While one season comes to an end, there's another coming right on its heels.  That's the beauty of Maine, there's always something to look forward to.  We get to put the auger, traps and snowmobile away, and break-out the boat and rods (although that will be awhile for us up here!); then do the reverse in the fall, with some hunting in between.  I don't think I could live in a place where the seasons never change.

I agree Mark. 
I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline Chebeague

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Apr 02, 2015, 06:05 PM »
Hey Twolightskid did you make it to the 100 togue mark yet?

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Apr 02, 2015, 07:11 PM »
Yes, 103 so far, hopefully still time for a few more.

Offline Chebeague

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Apr 02, 2015, 07:38 PM »
Nice work I broke the 100 mark yesterday

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.