Author Topic: Fighting a nice fish  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fighting a nice fish
« on: Mar 27, 2015, 08:54 AM »
Before they turn out the lights...maybe somebody knows.  I was fishing near a group of guys a couple weeks back that were packing up because they already had their limit.  They hooked a nice fish and handed the rod to me.  The 6-7 lb rainbow was running and carrying on.  I was fighting the fish and the guy was trying to keep the line from contacting the ice edge.  I have seen guys put the rod tip under the ice when fighting a big fish to avoid the line contacting the hole edge.  Personally, I have never worried about that.  Is it best to keep the rod tip down under the hole while the fish is running/fighting to prevent the line from breaking on the hole edge?  BTW I did ice that fish.

s

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Fighting a nice fish
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2015, 09:09 AM »
i do not know.
i am wanting to tho. this is the second post that mentioned ice cut offs in the last week.
in my mind, i would use a good line that doesn't cut easy from ice and use one for that size fish. thats what ice fishing line is for last i knew.
i have never had a cut off and land heavy bull heads no problems ever and land quite a few on 2# test. never worried about ice hole cut offs. i use asso nylon tho. the knot strength is all i worry about, if i get worried about any thing.

holding a flexing rod under water seems like a disaster waiting to happen. i use 19" rods and have been fishing 20" of ice. so thats a NO GO for me to even think about. maybe a 6' rod would work.

i read on here about others using a chisel to taper their holes for the ice cut offs before.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2015, 10:15 AM »
I gotta ask, where are you fishing for 6-7lb rainbows where there is such thin ice that you can put the rod tip under the ice? I mean, even here in NH we still have 20-30" of ice thickness, so the bottom edge of the hole would be 20-30" below the surface of the ice. 

I only get concerned with the line when the fish is close to the hole. Not about the ice cutting my line, but the fish bumping the edge of the ice hole and if it is lip hooked it can bump the hook out of the mouth.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2015, 10:44 AM »
I can't give away my spots.  ;D  But the ice was only about 8" thick this late in the season. And weather was warm.  I had a hard time getting off the ice that day with open edges.  Rods that I use are 19-24".  So, I can plunge the rod down in the hole but not sure it is really necessary.

s

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2015, 11:14 AM »
two weeks ago i lost a VERY big pike that cut my line on the bottom of the hole because i didn't put the rod down through the hole.....bet your bottom dollar i will next time.
I am haunted by waters...

Offline twilomad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2015, 11:45 AM »
I landed a 25 inches pickerel on 3lb pound test, ultra light 13 rod and a tungsten jig, Later that same week, I landed 26 inches trout on the same set up. No idea how I got them out but it was fun

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2015, 01:13 PM »
Ice will not cut any type of fishing line...

If you let a fish pull your line hard enough against your teddy bear it will break...

Dont believe me... Take an ice cube and try to cut some line with it....

Adjust your drag accordingly.. Sheesh..

<°)))>{

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2015, 01:40 PM »
adjust your drag accordingly ......and.........keep fresh leader material at all times...i change mine almost every trip. I fish in pike areas and although i never want to catch one very often, i always get them so i use heavy leader material even if im fishing for walleye etc. Its either that or loose a lot of lures

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2015, 01:53 PM »
ice scratcher, you are incorrect. the bottom of my hole was honeycomed ice and very rough. so, ya see it does happen.
I am haunted by waters...

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2015, 02:05 PM »
Tree bark is rough but it won't cut anything...

Your line got caught on the edge of honeycombed ice and broke, it's as simple as that.. Honeycombed ice is also very soft, it won't "cut" anything...

I have no dog in this fight, please believe what you want...

<°)))>{

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2015, 02:42 PM »
Good thoughts all.  I took college physics but it has been a while.  True, ice won't "cut" anything.  But, when a line under tension is deflected by the bottom of the hole, it is not straight and is more prone to break at that deflection.  This could give the appearance of "cutting" the line.  Still, I am not sure this deflection of the line matters too much.

s

Offline derek_buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2015, 03:24 PM »
The only time I ever do is if I have a crack going through my hole.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 2015, 04:32 AM »
It's not the ice will cut your line, it's your line cutting into the ice that will ruin your big catch.  Or your line getting snafu by the ice cracks cut from your drill - it's not smooth ice cube ice.

Yes I've pulled a crappie right into the bottom of my hole and it was stuck there, jaw open kissing the ice.  My short arms ain't gonna reach down like 30" of ice...when ice is only like 12-16 inches, I managed to get that fish.

I do hate that sometimes when the fish bumps right onto the bottom edge of the ice hole, you sometimes lose them, or sometimes even get your hook stuck on the ice.  Most of the time, it's not really worth you sticking your rod tip under the ice, cuz what's to happen if you accidently pull the fish right up to your rod tip?  Granted it's never happened to me.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 31, 2015, 11:59 AM »
It's not the ice will cut your line, it's your line cutting into the ice that will ruin your big catch.  Or your line getting snafu by the ice cracks cut from your drill

That^ your line is much tougher than any ice...

As far as shoving your rod into the hole, seems like a perfect way to get your rod snapped.

I would rather lose a jig and a fish than break my rod and lose it all...

Fighting a fish with your rod in the hole would be no different then resting your rod on the edge of the boat while fighting a fish..

<*)))>{

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2015, 03:30 PM »
If a person insists on putting the rod down the hole.  Pay attention to your leverage angle and make sure to never rest the rod blank against the edge of the ice.  If you need to make contact on the edge of the ice, make sure that your tip guide is perfectly on the edge so that you're not getting your line to cut into the ice.  I have never snapped a rod from fish fighting, but have snapped my line plenty of times.

I sure hate how them eelpout/burbot can curl their tail at the bottom of the hole.  ;D  tug of war.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.