The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Re: Lily/Luzerne - tournament debate  (Read 2455 times)

Offline jitterbug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Re: Lily/Luzerne
« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2015, 10:53 PM »
Yes you are.................
         I hope I didn't say that at some point in the past, sometimes tempers flare. All I can do is tell you that I'm sorry if someone felt the need to be arrogant.............. ..
 No, it was a tough day and we didn't set the world on fire, glad you agree we were not going to desecrate the lake.................I was rather proud of my 2.15lb crappie that is in the freezer.
There are several reasons; first of all, we are human and we are fisherman, we enjoy having the chance at an honest three pound crappie, plus the huge bass and trout. Second of all, there is nothing to indicate that we are having a negative impact on the fishery. Even after the first tournament, when word started to leak out about this fishery, the lake has held on and continues to produce quality fish.
  Is that what the locals do?? If so, they need lessons on catching those stunted gills.
 I am not Greg, and other than being a tournament participant, I am not involved with the tournaments at this time. Your posts are very good, and I appreciate being able to disagree with you in a respectful manner. And although I may disagree with your views on tournament fishing on this lake, I do support your desire to protect the fishery and hope that passion continues............. .............

Byron, I just had to reply to your post. It is very refreshing to discuss issues with an intelligent individual that isn't trying to nit pick your posts to start a pi#%ing contest. You took my post and intelligently responded to each point I was trying to make. And I can't argue with any of your responses, we can respectfully agree to disagree on very few points. Maybe we will meet somewhere on the hard water and we can continue our conversation as adults.  I did hear from other people that you were a stand up guy.   Tight lines.

Offline Gillaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 07, 2015, 07:16 AM »
Put a hold on this thread for a few minutes......I gotta get more pop corn! ::)

Offline isthereiceyet89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "the Green Hornet strikes again!!!"
« Reply #32 on: Feb 07, 2015, 12:57 PM »
Put a hold on this thread for a few minutes......I gotta get more pop corn! ::)
lmao

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 07, 2015, 02:42 PM »
Maybe we will meet somewhere on the hard water and we can continue our conversation as adults.

I'd enjoy that................
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #34 on: Feb 07, 2015, 10:01 PM »
..do people understand that female crappies can have between 9,000 to over 100, 000 eggs?

...if not kept, the population will be stunted in a few years.

..yes the alewife will eat the fry, but an ice fishing tournament of 50 people will not impact the crappie population in a negative way.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/portals/0/Fishing/documents/crappie.pdf

Do you think large crappie breed large crappie; I do. If the large fish are not returned that is why we will have a bunch of dinks in our lake. We have other lakes in NEPA with all small fish. That is because of tournaments where the large fish are removed. If you guys are true sportsmen, you would return all the fish. We have a local group called Suskie Bassmasters suskiebass.org. They only take one fish and return it after the weigh-in..
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #35 on: Feb 07, 2015, 11:19 PM »
jmz yes large fish do produce eggs just like a 2yo crappie would.  More goes into egg production then size of fish.  Health, age, diet just to name a few all go into it.   I would have to guess that one of those big crappie are near, at or past their prime spawning age and has undoubtedly already passed its genes along in the lake several time

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline DUGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 23, 2015, 07:52 PM »
Fished 1 to 5 in 12 feet of water. Quite a few gills mostly short and one nice crappie around 13 inches. Marked fish constantly all day. Had to leave before the last hour before dark. Only person out. Didn't measure but would guess 16 inches of ice at least
mike

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #37 on: Feb 25, 2015, 01:34 PM »
No goldbars it doesn't!.. it's the sight of a bunch of people in a smaller area that scares the others. Tournaments do a lot of good for bodies of water. Catch reports are useful to the PFBC and the people in them are a good impact on the local economy. Not to mention that some work closely to add habitat etc. for the future of the fisheries. Most people just look at the outer skin and think it's bad news and don't take the time look into it deeper for the truth of things any what really matters.

Not trying to stir the pot but other than the gas station you may have stopped at on the way here, what impact have you guys had to our local economy? There's nothing within 5-10 miles of the lake to support anymore  ??? ???
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #38 on: Feb 25, 2015, 03:34 PM »
Not trying to stir the pot but other than the gas station you may have stopped at on the way here, what impact have you guys had to our local economy? There's nothing within 5-10 miles of the lake to support anymore  ??? ???
Well.. I can tell you for one... quite a bunch of teams stayed at the Council Cup campground that weekend in rented cabins and campers, which is what.. 3-4 miles away.  Spent money at the store there.. gas, food, etc also.   So I'd say that's something... right?

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 28, 2015, 06:36 AM »
Older mature fish don't produce large fish,what they do,is know how to protect their brood of young fry. They are larger and can fend off hungry intruders. Small fish spawn also by have a less chance of survival rate of their brood. Both big and small breeding size fish can and do produce large adult fish if they live long enough. Some people keep the biggest Panfish they catch other release larger fish and keep a mess of eater. What's right who's to no,but releasing larger fish would make sense in heavy pressured lakes of smaller size.

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #40 on: Mar 01, 2015, 09:29 PM »
I'm just following what Doug Stange of infisherman.com does. He keeps a few mid sized fish for a meal and throws the large and small fish back. You can see that not many people are fishing Lily Lake since the tournament in the beginning of Feb. I wonder how this hurts the local economy.The local bait store at the Barn closed. What does that tell you about the place?
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Mar 06, 2015, 07:48 PM »
IT SUCKS.

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CAPTAIN OF THE F.O.P. ICE FISHING TEAM.
« Reply #42 on: Mar 11, 2015, 03:33 AM »
Can't wait to be here for the open water tourney. So I guess you will see us soon Charlie. Year after year!!!!!!!
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline Gillaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 11, 2015, 07:17 AM »
WHOA! I'm out of popcorn again! I'll be back shortly!

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Mar 11, 2015, 03:06 PM »
You notice that the tourney guys are the ones who get upset when some one don't agree with them, ( KEEP THE TOUNEYS OFF THE SMALL LAKES LIKE LILLY .

Us 'tourney' guys aren't upset we are catching all the fish lmao. Everyone else including you are the ones that are upset. We are loving life. Be back here soon 😁😀
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 11, 2015, 04:16 PM »
Oh boy....   

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Mar 13, 2015, 10:05 AM »
BIG DEAL THEY GET A COUPLE BIG FISH.

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Mar 13, 2015, 10:06 AM »
OH BY THE WAY THE LAKE STILL SUCKS.

Offline rtibbs48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 13, 2015, 02:07 PM »
Digger maybe should fish to left of launch that's where 95%of the fish from the tournament where  released a couple were kept for mounting and if you had caught one them you would have done the same you guys take fish to eat and we take them to weight and release gentleman there's enough for everyone it they are managed properly.I'm 67yrs old and fish the tournaments more for the fun and the great people.and yes if we should win I would not turn down the money.

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Mar 13, 2015, 02:24 PM »
Digger maybe should fish to left of launch that's where 95%of the fish from the tournament where  released a couple were kept for mounting and if you had caught one them you would have done the same you guys take fish to eat and we take them to weight and release gentleman there's enough for everyone it they are managed properly.I'm 67yrs old and fish the tournaments more for the fun and the great people.and yes if we should win I would not turn down the money.

Very well said Roy!!!!! It has been a great pleasure meeting guys like you!!!

Offline rtibbs48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Mar 14, 2015, 01:45 PM »
Digger I couldn't agree with you more, that's why I read and commit on this forum.Love to share mine and sons days catch plus ice condition in order to help keep someone safe.life is to short to complain about every thing. everyone should just enjoy and have fun either fishing for something to eat or a tournament.Be safe, Roy.

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #51 on: Mar 15, 2015, 01:09 PM »
Here is a report from the fish commission. Read it and weep.
In 2013, however, bluegill catch rates were only 0.57 per hour and black crappie catch rates were only 0.21 per hour (Figure 1). This means that the number of bluegills declined by 77% and the number of black crappies declined by 79%; since alewives were introduced.
I also sent them a post about the NEPL tournament. They are aware of the problem.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline spark_65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Mar 15, 2015, 01:24 PM »
  on another note was anyone here this weekend??? Hows it holding up??

You do realize the fish commission gives the NEPL the permit to have these tourneys. You are totally wasting your writing hand. FR smfh!!!!!

DT you know if it weren't for us NEPL guys alewives would have never been released in Lily!  LOL

Offline jitterbug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #53 on: Mar 15, 2015, 05:54 PM »
Here is a report from the fish commission. Read it and weep.
In 2013, however, bluegill catch rates were only 0.57 per hour and black crappie catch rates were only 0.21 per hour (Figure 1). This means that the number of bluegills declined by 77% and the number of black crappies declined by 79%; since alewives were introduced.
I also sent them a post about the NEPL tournament. They are aware of the problem.

GOOD JOB JMZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Mar 15, 2015, 07:04 PM »
How is that a good job by any body?  All it determines is that the alwifes are having a negative effect the on the gills and crappie.  The alwifes out compete the young of the year gills and crappies.  That's all there is to it.   

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #55 on: Mar 16, 2015, 09:51 PM »
Jiggerman, I was at a meeting with the fish commission a few years back at Sayers and it was brought up about the commission stocking either shad or alewives in Sayers and it was shot down very quickly by the commission d/t it would have a detrimental impact on the fry in the lake and would see a decline in the fishery d/t they clean out the start of the food chain.  I am shocked that this lake had alewife put in it based on the size of the lake.  On a appropriate topic for this site, how is the ice holding up?  Fished here last year a few times and really liked it.  Thanks,  Nez

Offline Klunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Mar 18, 2015, 03:05 PM »
Does anyone know if the ice on Lily is still safe?  Looking to get out one more time. thanks

Offline bent rod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Mar 19, 2015, 05:50 PM »
A guy told me tonight that there is 10' of open water to the edge of the ice.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
Re: Lily/Luzerne - tournament debate
« Reply #58 on: Mar 26, 2015, 12:30 PM »
Note from moderator:  keep it civil and clean please

Flaming or other inappropriate posts won't be tolerated.  If you aren't sure that that means, please go back and read the site rules.  Those posts will be deleted and the offending member will be moderated.  Posts intended to incite or provoke these types of post will also be deleted.  There is no reason that you all can't have a debate, make your valid point, and be civil about it.

Thanks.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.