The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Could Be It For SE MA  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Atta Boy!

• Team IceShanty Regular
Could Be It For SE MA
« on: Mar 25, 2015, 03:57 PM »
I’m afraid with the temps in the mid-50s and with the predicted wind and rain it could spell the end, as the edges will quickly erode.  Still had over 15” of ice this past weekend; however, I don’t  think there is a plank that will be long enough to reach the good ice.

Offline Hookemup

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Could Be It For SE MA
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2015, 06:27 PM »
Thank God! ;D

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2015, 07:38 PM »
Fished peter pond in Dudley yesterday (central mass) only had 8 inches with as little as 4 in spots should be open by end of the weekend.

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2015, 01:08 AM »
I've been rooting for the melt.   First time I've ever been "done" with ice fishing in my life.  A really nice positive of the long season and snow covered ice was that I got in good shape fishing.   Between the workout and being away from the kitchen for 10 hours, ice fishing took off 10 lbs of blubber

Offline Hookemup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2015, 06:36 PM »
I suspect that there will be reports of people going through this wknd. The ice will be crap but people will still push the envelope. It was a long season, be happy with it and pack it in! It's over!

Offline FishinPhil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2015, 03:26 PM »
Drove by Furnace pond in Pembroke. Edges look like they took a beating. It may be over after this weekend on S.S.

Offline Hookemup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2015, 06:21 PM »
It is over right now! The ice is junk, move on! ::)

Offline Pizzaparty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2015, 06:37 PM »
Friend fell in today at Nippenicket.  Deep spot, over his head on the north section.  Got out no problem.  ICE IS GARBAGE there.  All rain caused lots of current in there and ice if very thin. in place.  One hit with spud.  SE Mass guys be very careful, fish with a buddy if you're going to risk it.

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2015, 07:27 PM »
Two guys on nip this morning.  I was shocked to see them out there.   It was little more than floating slush.  Guys are under the impression that the 15-16 inches they were on last week was real ice.   

Offline Pizzaparty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2015, 08:21 PM »
From what I hear it was fine before the rain.  With the rain comes current flooding the Nip from the surrounding swamps and makes for very poor ice.

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2015, 02:29 AM »
Nip has had two layers most of winter     Last week the top was 8"s frozen snow then A couple inches of wet slush/water and then a couple inches of harder ice.  It's the mistake of thinking that frozen snow was real ice that is causing the swimming

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Apr 03, 2015, 11:44 AM »
Done now on Southcoast, I was still on as late as yesterday open water most places....rained all night went out to Rochester my pond open water done middle edges gone mostly slush.

I was a great winter, tough to fish will all the snow and snowblowing details, but long. Didn't catch anything big this winter but had some grat days.

Next year I need a therma and delux flip up shelter....with lights and radio....all packed. Spent a lot of time on ice but to much heaving and hauling.....next year I want to tow whole well organized show pick my spot set up camp, anchor and dig in the set traps and wonder around jigging.

Last year after forty years at this game I finally decided I like rail style traps better that stick style traps. This year the stick style traps ruled with the snow. So, rail style for ice sticks for snow.
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.