The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Scumbug Ice Fishing Disgrace; Looking for Owners  (Read 1739 times)

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
Scumbug Ice Fishing Disgrace; Looking for Owners
« on: Mar 25, 2015, 06:42 AM »
Hello, came across this on one of my Facebook fishing groups. Below is the link, please help out any way you can if you have any information. It's people like this who give out the bad name for the rest of us, thanks!

Please help us locate the owner!
They left it on the ice of Lake Champlain as an ice shanty. We think they did not try to get it off, instead they burned it. They did not have their name on it as required by law!
Please post or private message any information you may have. Or call the St. Alban's State Police Dispatch, who dispatch for us.
It's location is approx. 200 yards off shore from the north end of Jigger House Point Road which is at the north end of Lakeview Dr. near the North Hero State Park in the town of North Hero. Looking south from the Tabors Point access area in the town of Swanton you can just make out the remnants of it as you look towards North Hero.
The wardens and responsible sportsman thank you!

FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/VTGWA

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Scumbug Ice Fishing Disgrace; Looking for Owners
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2015, 06:56 AM »
that is just totally disgusting. hope they find this guy. if this was vandalism, the owner would have filed a report with the police

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2015, 09:39 AM »
That's Bullschavik.
Last year on the last day of trout ice season in Vt, my B.I.L. and I hit Seymour for some jigging, and upon arrival, there was a car parked in the lot, with a guy passed out in the drivers seat, an empty 30 rack box out side of his car (car was running). and just 30yds off the launch, a camper shanty was parked. These guys had solo cups, beer cans and bottles strewn EVERYWHERE. There was an old lake trout hanging on the side of the camper, that looked like jerky it had been hanging in the sun so long. Firepit leftovers, a keg, and trash blown all around the shack. No signs of life (other than the guy passed out in the car) until about 10am, when a chick FELL out of the truck parked by the shack, and did the walk of shame all the way up rt 111 past the beach.
It was an absolute mess. Thank you to Warden Jason Dukette, who showed up and gave the guys passed out in the shack a good hearing test about the shamefull mess they left on the lake. He told them if there was any trash left by the afternoon, he would write a citation for each and every piece left over. He was more leaniant than I would have been, but I tip my hat to him for dealing with them.

This is right out in the open by the road for passers by to see. What a joke. folks like this should have their privilages taken, and be publicly humiliated. What ignorance. I hope they catch the dude that left this camper on Champ.
Chasing Ice

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2015, 10:53 AM »
I hope they catch whoever left that mess on the ice!  Looks like one side froze in or broke or something.  In the meantime, it seems like someone should be able to clean it up before the ice melts.  Maybe a flatbed trailer and winch would work?

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2015, 11:44 AM »
 >:( >:( >:( Hope they get this scumbag. No need for that crap.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2015, 01:43 PM »
back in high school a couple guys I knew went out on the lake to burn their all wood shanty. they brought plenty of gas with them and doused it good inside and out. closed door threw the match in the window and it exploded into flames. blew him back and some skin and a lot of hair was burned. he was on the fire dept.

Offline CHAMP04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2015, 05:25 PM »
I was just about to pose this too. I hope whoever did this gets there fishing license taken away for a long time and fined. You cant call yourself a fisherman sportsman by leaving an entire shanty on the ice to just sink to the bottom. This is exactly why more Vermonters are hating fisherman. If your going to burn it go ahead, just take the trash with you. 

Offline CHAMP04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2015, 05:29 PM »
And for people who wonder why there's a before and after picture. Wardens take pictures of all the shanty's during the season. They do the same for duck blinds.

Offline Blackink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2015, 07:42 PM »
And for people who wonder why there's a before and after picture. Wardens take pictures of all the shanty's during the season. They do the same for duck blinds.

It the above statement, highlighted in bold print, is true, why didn't the warden take some info off from the frame of the trailer. The trailer frame should have had a serial# stamped into it for ID and/or inspection purposes.

If there wasn't any owner notification posted on the "shanty" (and I use that word loosely here) when the warden took the picture, then there should have been some type of notification left for the owner of this unit, maybe some type of citation written up for not having some ID posted on the unit. I thought that was the law in Vermont....No?!?

There might have been a metal license plate attached on the back for ID'ing it, although I can see something like that getting removed once the trailer was positioned on the ice so it wouldn't get stolen. There should have at least been an inspection sticker on this thing.

You can't tow a trailer like that around Vermont roads without an inspection sticker. That might have been an access to finding some owner information maybe?

There's no guarantee that the owner did the actual burning either, is there? Maybe it was arson?

I would like to see if authorities can contact the owner and hear what they have to say about this.....

Too bad....what a mess!

Offline CHAMP04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2015, 09:09 PM »
i'm not a game warden so I have no clue. I do know all shanty's have to be off by this weekend, so if he doesn't come forward or not cleaned up by Sunday its obvious who did it. 

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2015, 07:08 PM »
On a follow up I got a fishing license and wheeler registration check by a game warden when I got back to the Rt 78 ramp this afternoon. We were talking and he volunteered that they caught the people responsible for the shanty burn. He wrote tickets for littering among other violations and told them they would get the additional ticket of not removing a shanty if all the debris wasn't gone by Monday morning. 
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline CHAMP04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2015, 07:54 PM »
I read that post today on there website. The word got out so fast thanks to the fisherman around the state and they found the owners within 2 hours of them posting the pictures. Got a confession, gave them tickets and they cleaned it up. I don't get why people think they can get away with stuff like this. 

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #12 on: Mar 30, 2015, 07:33 AM »
Good to hear that they got all that junk off the ice before it becomes unsafe.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.