Author Topic: fish id  (Read 3209 times)

Offline ckfishne

• IceShanty Rookie
fish id
« on: Mar 24, 2015, 09:52 PM »
On 3/16 out with a buddy he caught this fish. id like a second opinion thanks in advance

Offline ckfishne

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: fish id
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2015, 09:57 PM »
Here's another

Offline fisherhawk55

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2015, 10:25 PM »
Small pike maybe ,tough to tell with the light low unless it's a rare color chain pickerel its a baby musky or a red pickerel

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2015, 10:29 PM »
Pike.
Salmonemia

Offline ckfishne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2015, 10:31 PM »
You don't think its a musky?

Offline ckfishne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2015, 10:33 PM »
I had one person tell me it was and one person said no way from the beginning he thought i was crazy

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2015, 10:38 PM »
diagonal lines / spotting looks like a juvenile pike.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline ckfishne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2015, 11:05 PM »
Interesting we've caught some smaller pike out of the same spot that look more like the typical pike but of course every fish is gonna have its differences as well especially being so young, thanks for the input guys

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2015, 11:21 PM »
Looks like a pickeral with a hybrid design. Dead giveaway is the black line from the eyes to the mouth as well as yellower eyes. Musky and Pike have the spots on the fins, this doesn't so only leaves us with a cool designed Pickeral:)

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2015, 06:23 AM »
Next time you get one, look closely at the cheek and operculum (gill plate).  Pike will often have a fully-scaled cheek and only a partially-scaled operculum (scales on the top half).  I have also seen pike that have seemed to have fewer scales on the lower side of the cheek too.  Pickerel have a fully-scaled cheek and operculum.  Hybrids can be tough to tell.
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2015, 06:54 AM »
The Outdoorsmen is 100%. Also, on the underside of the jaw a Pike will have 5 or less pores on each side of the jaw, whereas a Muskie or will have 6 or more pores on each side of the jaw.  A Tiger Muskie will have 5 to 7 pores on each side of the jaw. A Redfin Pickerel will have 8 or more pores on each side of the jaw.

I'd vote...Redfin Pickerel in the barred phase of it's life stage. Although not knowing the waters from which it came and the lack of a finned shot and the above described, It is tough to say.

A side note: Pike and Muskies will also have yellow eyes ;)

Juvenile Tiger Muskie:

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2015, 09:20 AM »
Looks like a pickeral with a hybrid design. Dead giveaway is the black line from the eyes to the mouth as well as yellower eyes. Musky and Pike have the spots on the fins, this doesn't so only leaves us with a cool designed Pickeral:)

i agree with it being a pike pickerel hybrid. i have caught them on lake champlain before.
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2015, 10:46 AM »
looks like a tiger musky to me.. I've caught them before and I'd say 90% that's what that is .. IMO

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2015, 01:44 PM »
What pond/river in NH has tiger muskies? I heard they haven't been caught in years out of the Ct. river

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 25, 2015, 02:48 PM »
redfin or grass pickerel

Offline ckfishne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 25, 2015, 04:39 PM »
looks like a tiger musky to me.. I've caught them before and I'd say 90% that's what that is .. IMO
glad i wasnt the only one to think that. it was caught out of the connecticut. Thanks guys definitely just learned a couple things ill take a closer look next time

Offline ckfishne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 25, 2015, 04:52 PM »
What pond/river in NH has tiger muskies? I heard they haven't been caught in years out of the Ct. river
I'm not aware of any, and ive heard the same thing. But there is a possibility i guess that's why i had to ask

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 2015, 09:03 PM »
I'm not aware of any, and ive heard the same thing. But there is a possibility i guess that's why i had to ask
Maybe VFW stocks some? They were the ones that stocked the Ct. in the first place...

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 25, 2015, 11:22 PM »

From the pictures, it's def not a muskie. As Dispy above showed, they have spots on all their fins/tail. It's not clear from his picture, but I dont see any spots anywhere. I know the lateral lines are confusing, but it might be a mutt lol

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 26, 2015, 06:34 AM »
From the pictures, it's def not a muskie. As Dispy above showed, they have spots on all their fins/tail. It's not clear from his picture, but I dont see any spots anywhere. I know the lateral lines are confusing, but it might be a mutt lol

once again i agree with you. like everyoe has said it is tough from the lighting in th pictures but it looks to be a pickerel pike hybrid some people call them tiger pike but i do not believe that to be the "official name" either way they are cool looking fish
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 26, 2015, 05:36 PM »
 ??? After many years working with the pike / Musky professionals at Champlain I have to agree with coldsteel.
Its a Pike/Pickerel hybrid that I have named Tiger Pike.   
Dick

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 26, 2015, 06:10 PM »
Would seems as though this has occurred in Maine page as well......http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=111976.0

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 26, 2015, 06:14 PM »
And this excerpt from http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/pdfs/northernpike.pdf

"Other members of the esocid family also share similar spawning traits and as a result northern
pike may hybridize with other esocids found in Maine, including chain pickerel, redfin pickerel and
muskellunge. Pike-chain pickerel hybrids are well documented in Maine."

And these Vermont counterparts: http://www.angelfire.com/home/lake/champlain_hybrid.html

And this: http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/tv/post/rare-hybrid-fish-caught-on-tape

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 27, 2015, 07:49 AM »
I guess it wont be Long before there in Winnisquam then ?  ;D unless they already are
Salmonemia

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 27, 2015, 09:07 AM »
I guess it wont be Long before there in Winnisquam then ?  ;D unless they already are

::)Two large northern pike were caught and confirmed by F&G at Winnisquam in 2009.    Afraid they are already there!   
Dick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.