The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: My first crappie  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
My first crappie
« on: Mar 24, 2015, 08:38 PM »
A coworker and I finaly had a day off together to do some fishing. We set out to one of my usual lakes in limerick to target jumbo perch and have a fish fry on the ice.  Him armed with my HB fishin buddy and myself with a vex sonar phone, we proceeded to Swiss cheese the from a bay through to the basin.  We marked fishin almost every hole, but they just weren't biteing no matter the lure we used.  Finally after almost two hours I hooked onto the first fish.

My first crappie, and I had to make it chase it to finally hook on.
It turned out to be the only fish we kept today, but it was delicious!
The only other fish caught was a dinky yellow perch I caught, my buddy got the skunk even though we were on top of schools of something or another.

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: My first crappie
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2015, 08:49 PM »
Congratulations!  I got my first crappie a couple weeks ago. They are awesome eating.  Haven't been able to find them again.  Gonna try again this weekend.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2015, 08:55 PM »
My friend that lives minutes from the lake didn't even know they were in there, we heard about them just two weeks ago by another local. I'm going to be hunting for them in there and other lake in that area for now on.  Too different from trout to compare the two, but one of the best fish I've eatten yet. Dipped in pancake-beer batter and fried in oil, can't be simpler and Sooo good.

Offline chum bucket

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2015, 09:32 PM »
They are good to eat, nice job on the crappie.
Semper Fi

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2015, 09:37 PM »
Thanks, if I didn't have eletronics I would not have caught it. Two marks were eyeballing it for close to a minute while I tried different strokes, finally I was pulling it up to check the bait and it followed, I did a slow retrieve and it nailed it after chasing for almost ten feet. I couldn't believe it when I pulled it out of the hole. I tried to get his buddy to come back but nothing.

Offline stickbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2015, 04:51 AM »
That's it, you're hooked now!! Congrats on the first.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2015, 05:48 AM »
Congrats. Drill Drill Drill Move Move Move
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2015, 07:43 AM »
here's a tip for you....crappie look upward. your bait needs to be ABOVE them, even if only 2 inches. as you found out, they will chase the bait. tease them while raising your bait/jig. Sometimes, it just takes a little, sometimes a lot.

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2015, 09:02 AM »
I remember catching my first crappie, followed by many more with MG39. It's an addictive sport. Good going.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2015, 10:47 AM »
Thanks for the tips, it was my first time draining both batteries on my Milwaukee drill on one trip. it was more than enough to cover the area, just couldn't find any biters that day.  Like I said, original plan yesterday was to target perch and sunfish for lunch on the ice, didn't even think about crappie since my friend had never heard of them being there and he's fished that lake open water almost every week for the past 7 years for bass. 
Oh, I did the math based on the cig pack for scaleing, that was a 13-14" fish!

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2015, 03:30 PM »
My friend that lives minutes from the lake didn't even know they were in there, we heard about them just two weeks ago by another local. I'm going to be hunting for them in there and other lake in that area for now on.  Too different from trout to compare the two, but one of the best fish I've eatten yet. Dipped in pancake-beer batter and fried in oil, can't be simpler and Sooo good.

Shhhhhh
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2015, 04:01 PM »
I went out today and I don't think they were biting that good ,could see fish on my Vex.  most of the time bite the had to be coached. Did end the day with 3 -  8"  White Perch.

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2015, 04:52 PM »
I went out today and I don't think they were biting that good ,could see fish on my Vex.  most of the time bite the had to be coached. Did end the day with 3 -  8"  White Perch.

That's a bummer. ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2015, 10:41 PM »
I tried the same area again today, just two hours before sundown. No crappie, but I did catch many small and a few medium YP, 5 small Largemouths, and one big sunfish, all released to grow bigger.  Bite was much better today, too bad I didn't have longer to fish and left the cooking gear at home.  No pics today since I just got a new phone but didn't get a case for it yet, so it didn't leave the pocket or get touched with wet hands lol.

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2015, 07:10 AM »
Sunfish taste as good as crappie  ;)

Offline Fishn'Rod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2015, 07:35 AM »
Sunfish taste as good as crappie  ;)

x2

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2015, 09:39 AM »
I hope to go out at least one more time next week to try and do another cookout. Hopefully I'll be able to get some for the pan and do a proper comparison of different species.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.