The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: would like feedback on your fishing season  (Read 1405 times)

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
would like feedback on your fishing season
« on: Mar 24, 2015, 12:35 PM »
I have been talking to a lot of guys who have said most of the season was slow. I feel the same way although it did pick-up in the past two weeks. To bad all that ice had to go so soon >:(    could ya'll give me your feedback on you ice fishing season. thanks
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: would like feedback on your fishing season
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2015, 02:08 PM »
I did about the same as last year except I didn't get that many gills mostly specks.fish were in different deeper areas than last year and I didn't catch as many northerns.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2015, 02:12 PM »
the smaller the body of water, the sooner they slowed to a complete shut down.
end of season, we had to go shallow.
the deep water fish only wanted to follow and stare at bait and not take any thing at all.

Offline Jig_Pounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2015, 02:25 PM »
I had a decent season. Brought home fish every time I went out. With that being said I did have alot of hole hopping to do find the keeper fish. I cant say I brought home my limit everytime but 12 to 15 nice size gills add up in the freezer. Towards the last good ice days here in southern Michigan I was able to catch some real nice gills. Then it all shut down. Some lakes produced better in the early season while others got hot towards the end.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2015, 10:31 PM »
I fished a lot. About the same as last year, just a little easier getting around. Best was 19 percs and sunnies. Lot's of lookers-no takers. Average catch was probably 4-10..Always had a few empty's to bring back!

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2015, 07:41 AM »
Outstanding season again. Lots of limit trips to feed the fam. Fewer pike as I did not target them as much as a normal year. Spearing season when I did participate, was slow each time.

Offline docbas

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2015, 09:10 AM »
Caught lots of fish, but needed to add most of them together to make a keeper.  Only brought home 4 keeper fish all season!

Offline Nwfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2015, 09:16 AM »
I had great season, caught my limit only a few times, but was close most of the times I went out. Like everybody else said I did have to work and the lake I usually fish was very cloudy this year for some reason

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2015, 09:31 AM »
thanks guys!
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2015, 05:40 PM »
Slow(ish) but not really into speedy catches anyway. At least we got to go consistently once started which was a very nice change over the last few years

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2015, 08:14 AM »
I think this was one of the best season ever.  Course I probably think that about every season maybe...

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2015, 09:02 AM »
I made it out 24  times this season, 23 of those trips were for smelt. Some trips produced better than others, but they were all fun  :). Met quite a few Shanty members this year, &  made  some new friends. It was a great season, just a bit too short.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2015, 09:23 AM »
fishing is always in season
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2015, 10:35 AM »
Caught lots of fish, but needed to add most of them together to make a keeper.  Only brought home 4 keeper fish all season!
My season was just like Doc's. Had fun though! @)
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Nwfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2015, 10:47 AM »
Did you have much luck on skiff lake this year? My dad was out there a few times and had no luck

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 27, 2015, 11:21 AM »
It was pretty slow this year. Marked a bunch but very few hit.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline rp dog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 27, 2015, 02:10 PM »
Over all had a good year started a little slow. I did go back and fish some ice i hadn't been on in ten years and some i fish every year and some I've never been on. Made some new Friends and met some real interesting people. And ya even caught fish along the way.

Offline spearinfool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • never trust a man who doesnt drink
« Reply #17 on: Mar 27, 2015, 03:59 PM »
Did very good on gills and craps early and later in the year. Speared two.pike.  let a few swim on. Did very well on erie. Limit five out of seven trips. Perch were tough, caught more while gill.fishing towards the end of the year. I've heard pike fishing was slow all.year here in.michigan but also.heard of more bigger fish being caught

Offline WestSideAl8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pants up, don't loot!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 27, 2015, 08:23 PM »
All in all I had a pretty good ice season this year. Work kept jumping up and getting in the way. Had a couple of good trips to Saginaw Bay as well as Little Bay de Noc. Had a couple of good days on Muskegon Lake, one the actual temp was -24 and the wind chill was -45. Looking forward to next year, as well as the steelhead run, and browns along the lake shore. Good luck everybody, stay safe.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 29, 2015, 01:14 PM »
Well, I am finally, calling it quits for the 14/15 season,  I was hoping to make it to April, but it looks like we are hosting Easter down here so there is no chance I will get to fish before it all goes for good.
Overall I would say this was a below average season for me.  I made it out a total of 12 times this year, which is less than what I normally do, but was thankful for each time out.  I suppose it is to be expected with very young children, work demands, etc. at this point in my life.  I do have 3-4 meals left in the freezer from my season, which is more than enough, but I don't gauge my season on how full my freezer gets. ;)
I did get in a few road trips and was able to fish with at least 3 "shanty" members this year. 
The few times I did fish for pike I did well, especially early in the season up North.  Specs were above average, and gills were tougher this year with many smalls and only maybe 25 fish in the 8"-9" range.  Ended up with only about 20 perch  during my only trip to Muskegon.  Made two trips to gull lake with the first at 74 smelt and second trip I became too ill to fish and ended early with 17 smelt.   
Good luck and be safe if you are still at it.  Until next season, tight lines guys.

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 29, 2015, 04:25 PM »
Season started out hot, lots of limits at first but slowed as the season progressed with lots of hole hopping but that seems to be the norm for me. Got out a lot, even during the week which gave me more "ice time" than last year. Caught a lot of fish overall and shared the wealth with family and friends. All in all had an awesome season, but to me "every season" is awesome just to be out in Gods Country!  ;)2

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.