Author Topic: White Perch help!  (Read 5148 times)

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
White Perch help!
« on: Mar 23, 2015, 03:57 PM »
 ???  I don't have a snow machine but I would love to fish for white perch (or big yellows) on Winnipessaukee. 
Would some body be kind enough to PM me and let me know where I might park and walk on.  I'm old but I can drag my jet sled a mile if I have to.   
Dick :tipup:

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: White Perch help!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2015, 05:24 PM »
Dick , maybe Webster would be better for whites ?? Folks have PMed me in the past on good spots on Webster that were walkable, not sure if they are hot spots anymore?

Offline cretehed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2015, 06:28 PM »
Winter Harbor is good you can go of Carrie beach off Forest rd straight out 200 yards(roughly) small spinners have been good my son got a real nice one Sunday afternoon Jigging dillies Milton 3 ponds behind Rays mariena is also good just not as big

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2015, 06:36 PM »
I know lake wentworth always had a ton of whites, where to ice fish em I wouldnt know though.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2015, 07:14 PM »
Winter Harbor is good you can go of Carrie beach off Forest rd straight out 200 yards(roughly) small spinners have been good my son got a real nice one Sunday afternoon Jigging dillies Milton 3 ponds behind Rays mariena is also good just not as big

::) ::) Wow!  That brings back memories.  I spent most of my first decades on Milton 3 Ponds.   My dad and I built a year round cottage next to the Town beach in the 60's.   I had friends and family on all three ponds. 
Dick

Offline Nitro16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2015, 11:23 PM »
Can walk on easy in 19 mile bay.  Plenty on spots within a mile walk. Very easy access
Born to fish, forced to work....

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2015, 06:50 AM »
Dick PM sent.

Offline sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2015, 07:38 AM »
def 19 mile...easy on.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2015, 07:58 AM »
I've had good luck with the whites in Opeechee. Little bit of a tough walk though.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2015, 08:12 AM »
 :o :o Boy Oh Boy!  This site always amazes me.  Lots of offers and advice!   But JoeGG has offered to take me to his secret spot on Saturday.
Of course it has to remain secret !    This will probably be my last time in the south this season.  Hopefully we will have pictures and story to post.
Thanks to everyone for help.

Denny I didn't get your PM. 
Dick

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2015, 08:18 AM »
:o :o Boy Oh Boy!  This site always amazes me.  Lots of offers and advice!   But JoeGG has offered to take me to his secret spot on Saturday.
Of course it has to remain secret !    This will probably be my last time in the south this season.  Hopefully we will have pictures and story to post.
Thanks to everyone for help.

Denny I didn't get your PM. 
Dick

You should have it now Dick. I know someone (PoolGuy) who went with JoeGG and he put duct tape over his eyes. Bring a blindfold with you it will be easier to take off.  ;D

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2015, 09:09 AM »
You should have it now Dick. I know someone (PoolGuy) who went with JoeGG and he put duct tape over his eyes. Bring a blindfold with you it will be easier to take off.  ;D

I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2015, 11:50 AM »
Not for nothing but I always do well in 19 mile and there are slobs in there but there is also a consistent bite in Ossipee.  Good sized ones too but quality not as good as Winni overall.

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2015, 07:38 PM »
I will take anyone but I have to feel they will be worthy and respectful of the spot. Pool Guy, and Sorelippin are guys I didn't know but looked up old posts on them to see what kind of sportsman they were.  I had them out because I knew they were passionate about the sport, offered advice to me as well, practiced catch and release to a certain extent, and respected the spot. Both are good guys and will fish with them again. I have also taken guys that threw cigarette butts in the water, drank like idiots, and acted like fools. Those are the guys I won't ask again.   

My philosophy is that you pay it forward. Give any advice you can because that's how any of us have had any success in this sport. Sure, I have a spot or two I keep to myself but it's not out of selfishness. It's just a couple of places that give me peace of mind and nobody is ever there when I am there. Sometimes solitude is good for the soul.

I was lucky enough to have a guy show me the ropes when I was 9 yrs old and he is now 93 yrs young. He was just a guy behind my camp and we have been friends since. Best fisherman  I know.  He re-married when his wife died a few years ago and I was best man at his wedding. How many 54 year old guys can say they were best man at a WWII veterans wedding? Lol.

So, be an ambassador to the sport and give advice if you are able. And for god's sake stop ruining photos of nice fish by blacking the background out. It looks ridiculous.  Take the pic up against a tree or shanty. See you Saturday DickBaker. Don't even know what you look like. Lol

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2015, 07:42 PM »
I want to say one more thing. There is nobody, I mean nobody, that will offer advice and expect nothing in return more than Tom.(Dispy)He is the epitome of everything said in my last post. ;D

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 24, 2015, 08:13 PM »
I will take anyone but I have to feel they will be worthy and respectful of the spot. Pool Guy, and Sorelippin are guys I didn't know but looked up old posts on them to see what kind of sportsman they were.  I had them out because I knew they were passionate about the sport, offered advice to me as well, practiced catch and release to a certain extent, and respected the spot. Both are good guys and will fish with them again. I have also taken guys that threw cigarette butts in the water, drank like idiots, and acted like fools. Those are the guys I won't ask again.   

My philosophy is that you pay it forward. Give any advice you can because that's how any of us have had any success in this sport. Sure, I have a spot or two I keep to myself but it's not out of selfishness. It's just a couple of places that give me peace of mind and nobody is ever there when I am there. Sometimes solitude is good for the soul.

I was lucky enough to have a guy show me the ropes when I was 9 yrs old and he is now 93 yrs young. He was just a guy behind my camp and we have been friends since. Best fisherman  I know.  He re-married when his wife died a few years ago and I was best man at his wedding. How many 54 year old guys can say they were best man at a WWII veterans wedding? Lol.

So, be an ambassador to the sport and give advice if you are able. And for god's sake stop ruining photos of nice fish by blacking the background out. It looks ridiculous.  Take the pic up against a tree or shanty. See you Saturday DickBaker. Don't even know what you look like. Lol
Good luck out there Mr. Baker. You'll be in good hands especially fishing with Joe...look forward to the reports. Oh and Joe do you recall this? Click on the picture to view  :)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 24, 2015, 09:07 PM »
Great post Joe G. Your spot on with all you wrote. Best man for a WWII vet that's cool. Good on you for sharing your spot and knowledge. I've been fortunate to meet and fish with some really great fishermen and learn a lot in the process because
Of guys like yourself. Good luck with the whites at your spot.
Salmonemia

Offline cretehed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 24, 2015, 09:13 PM »
content://media/external/file/41987

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 25, 2015, 06:41 AM »
Right on Joe good luck. You will have a good time with Dick I have fished with him a few times and even ate dinner with him and his wife Mary. Great people. They love birds. :whistle: I'm sure that he will have his patented high fiber, chocolate frosted donuts with him.  ;D

Offline sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 25, 2015, 11:28 AM »
Have fun, guys.  I sure wish posting pictures wasn't such a chore here or perhaps I'd share more often.  Joe, that big brown never got posted as well as all my outings this year but I send to those in the know.  Good to see ya out there early ice.  Maybe we can troll the soft water this spring.  Anyway, headed to Northern Maine Friday with the sleds and hitting up some big trout and salmon spots for the year-end finale.  Oh, bought a new sled, Joe.  Brand new off the show room.  Gonna be more mobile next year.  Good luck again, fellas and stay on top of the ice.

Offline 68 TROUT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 25, 2015, 06:37 PM »
Dispy ........
Nice Video, Thanks For Sharing...
JoeGG, Good for you, that is a great story !!
I just lost my 91 year old neighbor a few weeks ago.
He was my go to guy for gardening forever...
He was one of the first to welcome my family
to the neighborhood 40+ years ago.......
Always happy to receive some trout, pheasant, venison, etc.
I agree, pay it forward.........
Tight Lines Guys
Miss him a lot !!

Offline jonny jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 27, 2015, 06:15 PM »
Dick not sure how far u are from St alban VT but the whites have move in and there pulling 100-160 pounds a day out each fisherman still 2 feet of ice but another week and it will be done

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 27, 2015, 08:02 PM »
Dick not sure how far u are from St alban VT but the whites have move in and there pulling 100-160 pounds a day out each fisherman still 2 feet of ice but another week and it will be done
how can a lake not get fished out? must be a big lake?
Salmonemia

Offline jonny jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 28, 2015, 03:27 AM »
lake Champlain thats what we do all winter fish pan fish and sell them big market over here

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 30, 2015, 08:14 AM »
interesting.
Salmonemia

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 30, 2015, 08:59 AM »
 :tipup: :tipup:  I have a camper at Grand Isle, just across the lake from St. Albans.    But its too cold to stay in the camper for the winter so I haven't ice fished there for several years.  If you check my post for JoeGG fishing you will see a picture of a typical white perch day at St. Albans.
They are considered a serious invasive and some would like to see them fished out.  I have yet to find out how to catch them in open water.
They would provide a super fish fry!
Dick

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 30, 2015, 09:05 AM »
:tipup: :tipup:  I have a camper at Grand Isle, just across the lake from St. Albans.    But its too cold to stay in the camper for the winter so I haven't ice fished there for several years.  If you check my post for JoeGG fishing you will see a picture of a typical white perch day at St. Albans.
They are considered a serious invasive and some would like to see them fished out.  I have yet to find out how to catch them in open water.
They would provide a super fish fry!
Dick

Dick when I was in Maine in my youth we would troll with spinners with a nightcrawler down about 10-20 ft in deeper water. When we hit a school we would stop the boat and start casting and pull them in. When the bite stopped we would head out and look for another school of them.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 30, 2015, 10:03 AM »
 :o :o Thanks Denny.  Spinners and crawlers.  Now that's my kind of fishing.   Biologist tell me that they are only feeding on 2MM Daphnia, but its hard to imagine that anything would pass up a juicy crawler??
I'll report back at the end of June hoping for several white perch fish fries ;D

Dick

Offline jonny jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 30, 2015, 04:16 PM »
i herd a guy and his son got 550 pounds in 5 hours this weekend hit it today hammer them for a hour then lost the whole school well thats how it go

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 30, 2015, 04:28 PM »
Dick, I have friends that catch their limit on Webster lake every time they go. They troll until they find them and then drop anchor and jig or throw out a marker and keep trolling through the same  spot. They say the bite never gets going until mid June.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.