The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Youth Trout Days 2015  (Read 992 times)

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Youth Trout Days 2015
« on: Mar 23, 2015, 08:49 AM »
A little off topic for here but a new and good opportunity for kids.

https://us-mg6.mail.yahoo.com/neo/b/message?sMid=0&fid=Inbox&sort=date&order=down&startMid=0&filterBy=&.rand=830685014&midIndex=0&mid=2_0_0_1_227_AC%2FnjkQAAALmVQBUEww46BULO0Y&fromId=

MENTORED YOUTH TROUT DAYS EXPANDED FOR 2015

Responding to angler requests for more fishing opportunities, the PFBC has expanded the popular Mentored Youth Trout Days program in 2015 to include all trout waters stocked by the PFBC and managed under Commonwealth inland regulations.
Mentored Youth photo“Our goal is to get more kids involved in fishing and to keep them engaged, and one of the best ways to do that is to make the experience as easy as possible for parents and mentors,” said PFBC Executive Director John Arway. “By expanding the program to include all Commission stocked trout waters, we are substantially increasing the number of waters open to the program and are bringing fishing as close as we can to anglers.”

The first Mentored Youth Trout Day will be held on March 28, the Saturday before the regional opening day of trout season in 18 southcentral and southeast counties. The second one will be held on April 11, the Saturday before the statewide opening day of trout season. Mentors and children can each keep two trout, which must be at least seven inches.  For information on how to participate, CLICK HERE

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Youth Trout Days 2015
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2015, 03:30 PM »
Thats great,they better hurry up, I fished  a lake on Saturday and caught 112 trout in 4 hours. No lie,several guys caught more than I did. I never though I'd get tired of fishing,I made my trout magnet jig barbless and only had to handle a few, all of my fish where release in excellent shape,but can't say that for others using bait.High light of the day an adult EAGLE enjoying wounded trout. Every cast was a hit,miss or a fish ,just cazy. I don't need to go trout fishing when the season starts,I'm not fond of the trout on the table. Go luck to the kiddos.

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2015, 08:29 AM »
I'm with you there captain there will be no trout in my freezer either...    It's nice for the kids.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2015, 07:27 PM »
About the only thing that makes stocked trout palatable is brining and smoking them, imo. That said I do enjoy catching them on the fly rod once the season proresses.

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2015, 08:02 AM »
The only thing I've found them useful for other that the fun of hooking them is coon bait.  But hey to each their own, nothing wrong if you enjoy them. 

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2015, 10:50 PM »
My wife works for WILK FM 103.1 and is doing a segment on mentored youth fishing Wed April 1st from 6 to 9 AM. It will be on about 20 min after each hour and 10 min before each hour. There is an interview by PAFBC. She goes by Karel on the Street. ;D
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2015, 09:45 AM »
Not much for eating trout myself, But will be taking my 11 year old out to catch a cpl.  Chances are she will insist on bringing them home for dinner.    Hmmmm  Maybe if I tell her that she will have to clean them, they will be released.  ;)   

But I do give credit to the Pa Fish and Boat commission for a great opportunity for the kids.  (and my wife as she has never fished the creeks for trout).  Chances are the wife will need more "mentoring" then our daughter.  :roflmao: But will be a great day with the family.

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2015, 09:52 AM »
You live in a great area for it.  I have a camp just north of Oil City.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2015, 10:20 AM »
You live in a great area for it.  I have a camp just north of Oil City.

Yes, for sure.  I grew up within a cpl hundred feet from Oil Creek.  During summer vacations I spent more time on the creek then anyplace else.   There are several stocked streams with-in minutes from home, and a few with beautiful native brook trout (no, I will not give anyone locations of any native trout streams).   Hoping the weather cooperates and the streams remain fishable, but if not, there is always Justice Lake. 

Want to get both the wife and Daughter familiar with stream fishing as I'm hoping to take them to Erie next fall for the steelhead run.  Can't wait to see the daughters reactions when she hooks into a decent steelhead.  :woot:

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2015, 07:58 AM »
My father picked up our place when I was 12.  I've spent plenty of house on Oil Creek and now my children have as well.  My Camps on Eagle Rock Rd. I can be at the park in a few miles or Stone Arch.  I take a vacation up there every year. 

Steelhead fishing is a blast!  I'm sure they will enjoy it!!   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.