New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Remember your first time on LG ice  (Read 1731 times)

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
Remember your first time on LG ice
« on: Mar 23, 2015, 07:40 AM »

Went to Harris Feb. 18.for the first time ever. Drove down Assembly Point Rd. and saw  3 trucks parked. Talked to a retired guy who was just heading out and he gave me some info. on the perch. I was amazed about the size of the bay. The ice had1 to 2  inches of warter on it and the fog was thick. Did'nt see anyone around so i went about 50 yards off shore and put tip ups in then started jigging for perch in about 20ft of warter. Did'nt get no flags or perch. Only stayed for 2 hrs. then left. Just did'nt feel comfortable out there by myself. Someday would like to meet someone there to show me how to get my bucket full of perch.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                This was one of my first post back in 2008, I remember that day like it was yesterday. Now the access is cut off. Only used it that one time then learned about 9L parking. Still can't get enough of it. I have learned a lot and have many great memories, and always making more. Got a lot of help from members to improve the catch. Anyone else remember there first time on LG ice??

Offline Eagle Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • [img]http://i58tinypic.com/2n/c5jc.png[/img]
Re: Remember your first time on LG ice
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2015, 08:37 AM »
First time I went the guy taking me said bring a rod with plenty of flex.  I brought my 7' flyrod with my Mitchell 300 reel holding 8 lbs test line.  He cracked up and took my flyrod apart so he could tape one of his spare reels (2 lb test line) on the end part of my flyrod.  I had bought some jigs and used a silver jig with pink polka dots trying to catch perch.  Again he laughed at my lure selection until I started to catch perch with the pink polka dot lure.
He had a corkscrew iron hand auger that cut right through the ice, but I couldn't believe how thick the ice was at Diamond Point.  We stayed for only two hours because I didn't dress warmly enough for the wind/cold temperatures that day.  We got 20 nice sized perch and he took them home to clean.
I could not get over how beautiful it was on the frozen lake and got hooked on ice fishing.  After that I knew how to dress properly, what to use jigging/tip-ups/etc. thanks to the many ice fishermen I met and pm'd me on IS as the years went on.

Eagle Ed

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2015, 08:48 AM »
My first time was also on Harris bay for perch and like you used the assembly point access, but I had a buddy who knew the area and we got into the perch right away, we had to weed thru the dinks but I think I ended up with 40 or so keepers... and this was without a flasher... I don't know how I used to fish without a flasher
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2015, 09:02 AM »
keep the first time stories coming. I like hearing everyone's first experience on the King.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2015, 09:49 AM »
Sure do.  My first time was this year.  Took me nearly 12 hours to land a laker that first trip out.  Stepped on a bad spot on the pressure ridge off of vets that made me run!  Great memories...I went back around a dozen times.  300 miles driven per trip.  Wonder if I am addicted?  Thanks to those that helped make my first year there a productive safe one!

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2015, 11:13 AM »
im not a jigger, but a laker fisherman. I remember my first trip years ago, we used BIG suckers on tip ups, right on bottom in 125 ft of water up off the Kettles. Caught prob 8 fish between 2 of us, from 26 to 32 inches. Went back many times, always did good there for bigger fish. Years later, after guy I always went there with passed away, i fished south end off heartstone. Never got many decent fish there always 22 to 26 inchers. Now unless we hare going uo to north end i dont go, just not the same for me. Love the north end up over toungue mt.

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2015, 11:35 AM »
No I don't  remember  the time but I think LG was the first lake that I went in at

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2015, 01:01 PM »
The first time I went to LG was near Lockhart Loop (?) on the lower east side.  Friend had connections.  It was way too deep, we didn't catch a thing and had 1 flag.  The friend got a ticket for no license.

The second time we went out of Vet's and ran into a crew of market fishermen.  I could not believe how many perch they caught and kept.  Gunny sacks full, they had to ferry them back to shore several times by sled.  Left a real bad taste in my mouth.

Haven't seen that repeated since, and love fishing the perch with the occasional laker.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2015, 01:17 PM »
(1986)I remember getting on the ice, we had to cross a big open area next to a bubbler by walking on the rungs of a metal ladder.   I was just a few years old at the time and it was really scary.  We eventually made our way out to my dad's friend's hot spot, and caught a few perch with our bobber rods and tipups.

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2015, 06:00 PM »
My first time was also at harris bay.  I saw other trucks parus parked on 9l abut I couldn't see the shanties due to heavy snow.  I hopped put and just walked between the islands and kept going until I saw people. I remember it felt like I had walked forever in the whiteout conditions and i was slightly concerned about getting back.  I found someone's old holes and started pulling out big pumpkinseeds and perch.  These days I have other haunting grounds on the kino but I still go back to harris every year at first ice.

Offline numbtoes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • numbtoes
« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2015, 08:23 PM »
My first time on LG was in 1966. Went out of Huletts Landing back when you could park almost anywhere up there and just walk out. Walking was scarey because there was no snow and looking down on the clear ice it seemed like you were walking on water not ice. Fished close to Agnes Island in about 40 ft of water. Used a new monster size gas powered auger which had just come out and drilled dozens of holes. Went from hole to hole with jigging sticks since ice rods were still in the future. Caught about 50 big perch on perch eyes and didn't pay attention to the snow storm that started around me. Was very lucky to get back over the mountain with my rear wheel drive '65 Mustang that night. Fished there for a few years after that and not once ever saw another fisherman although a few times I saw a snowmobile way out on the other side of the lake. In the 70's I kind of drifted over to fishing Champlain for perch and "ice fish" (smelt) and Washington County ponds closer to where I lived outside Hudson Falls.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2015, 05:29 AM »
My first time fishing Lake George was in the late 70's. Came from out of town with a buddy of mine, his Dad, and a bunch of his dad's cronies. Think we fished either Assembly Point or Dunham's Bay. as someone previously stated, this was even really before the time of jig rods and we all were using jig sticks, except one of the old timers who brought his 5' ultralight trout rod. He'd stand 6' back from his hole and yell "contact" every time he caught a fish. Cracked us all up. This was in the days of no limits on perch and I remember leaving the ice with buckets of fish after 2 days.
Funny thing is, I recently hooked up with my buddy who's Dad first took us and fished Lake George a couple of time this year. He's pretty jealous that I live in Lake George now, since he has to drive 2 1/2 hours to fish it. 
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2015, 05:49 AM »

My first time on LG was in January 1984, the two guys I went with and I fished for perch on the main lake. We caught
         340 perch that day, back then there wasn't any limit of how many you could catch. They were all good size fish, we put
         a grain back, and it was tough to lift them to my shoulder. when we got to my house, we were up till 3 am cleaning them.
         I was hooked on ice fishing LG, what a great fishery.

IW

Offline bigdaddyc9

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • cooler than a mentholated snowball!!!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2015, 02:23 PM »
First time a group of friends and I went for the weekend.There was some kind of festival going on and snowmachine skipping soft water races.We got there and had 50mph winds which folded up our Shappel ice shack like an accordion.We left and went back to hotel to watch SU game.Next day it was below zero and all our bait froze.
Please Mother Nature,not this year too???

Offline twillingthenoz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2015, 07:07 AM »
As a relative newbie to ice fishing, the first time I fished LG was last year.  I used my Dad's gear and all he had was a 3'' auger.  I was set up just under the ice (not because I was trying to catch salmon but because I was clueless).  Well I didn't catch a salmon but managed to pull a fat pickerel through that 3'' hole.  Since then I've been hooked.  I also purchased a 6'' auger and I haven't caught a pickerel since.

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2015, 01:51 PM »
I remember it like yesterday......grandfa ther had his chisel in hand......grandmother was with us too, she had brought candied plums and cider to those who felt the nip of Jack frost that day!!!!!! We went out to catch the illusive yellow perch, jigging and jigging until we felt the tender nibble of on our maggot filled Swedish pimple!..............Just kidding, I just think this is a funny thread.......

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2015, 03:23 PM »
         My first time on LG was in January 1984, the two guys I went with and I fished for perch on the main lake. We caught
         340 perch that day, back then there wasn't any limit of how many you could catch. They were all good size fish, we put
         a grain back, and it was tough to lift them to my shoulder. when we got to my house, we were up till 3 am cleaning them.
         I was hooked on ice fishing LG, what a great fishery.

IW

hey my first trip on LG was only a few days after that day or maybe the next day.......WEIRD!! ;) I was all of 6 years old caught 245 perch. my younger brother caught 2 perch at once,trying to remove the fish from the hooks him self he managed to get both perch hooked to his chest as the perch flapped they were slapping him in the face great times.been hooked on that gin clear water ever since thanx ol man

Offline Wind Flag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 26, 2015, 07:40 PM »
It was my second time ever ice fishing. The day before, my dad and I were on Schroon with my uncle. This was when you could buy smelt at the bait shops.We didn't do very well and had plenty of bait left.

I was just a dumb kid and didn't know the rules, so the next day, I grabbed a buddy and headed for Lake George with the smelt. We knew absolutely nothing about ice fishing, except for what I witnessed the day before. We parked at Dunham's Bay and started walking. We wanted lakers, and ran into a couple guys who were just coming off the ice with a good pile of them. They wouldn't give us an exact location, but just said to walk out until we didn't feel like walking anymore. I think we just barely made it out of the bay and set up, really shallow.

I think we got a couple dozen perch on the tipups, and never even heard of jigging.

The next week, I went out with some more experienced people and had a great day. Unfortunately, it was a few more years until I made it back out and really got hooked.

Offline Tommytuna

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 27, 2015, 09:57 AM »
First time on LG was in 1985. Drove up with a friend who moved to CT from Schenectady. I had just bought my new Chevy Blazer and we drove it out onto what I thought was a sandy beach from all the trucks parked next to each other. My buddy gets out, starts the auger and drills a hole. Put the old green box flasher with the lantern batteries down the hole and find we were in 45' of water. I nearly crapped my pants. It took a few beers to get comfy with the feeling of all the trucks parked so close together. We also loaded up on jumbo perch the size that I had never seen before. Watched a few dear cross the lake by dome island against one of the most beautiful sceneries this country has to offer. Been going back almost every year since. Took the kids in the summer and with the boys in the winter during the carnival. Got divorced a few yrs back and hooked up with my new girl who's family has a place on Loon and she just happens to like fishing too. Gotta tell ya, the Adks have been good to me. Well worth the 4 hr drive and the people up this way are awesome.

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2015, 10:15 AM »
my 1st time was probably like 5 years ago. my buddy took me, he has a camp on huddle bay across from the sagamore. can see it from his kitchen window. view is amazing. anyway, we wanted to try for pike and know of a weedline that runs through the bay. he said he never got any through the ice, but what the hell we will try and if nothing happens we will go out a little deeper and jig up some slob perch.

we drilled our holes and nothing for the first hour, but then we got into  a mess of pickerel. or they got into us!!!! we caught over 30 pickerel form 8-12ish. all ranging from normal size to a few pigs. couldn't even try for the perch because the pickerel were going crazy1 we were getting 3 and sometimes 4 flags at a pop.

I had to leave around . my buddy went back the next day with a friend and he said it was the same thing. unreal!!!!

Offline felix

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 27, 2015, 11:19 AM »
My first time on LG the ice was about 8" and perfectly clear. I had fished tannin stained lakes with clear ice  and clear water lakes with some white ice or snow on top of clear ice, but I had never ice fished a clear water lake at the same time that the ice was so perfectly clear. Watching that first laker fight all the way up to the hole from 60' down was an awesome expierience. Add to that the spectacular sceanery that surrounds LG and it adds up to one of the most memorable fishing expieriences that I've had. Even though the fish was 1/2" short.

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #21 on: Mar 27, 2015, 02:47 PM »
I remember my first time hittin' the hardwater in Warren County.   

"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 30, 2015, 06:34 AM »
I remember my first time hittin' the hardwater in Warren County.   

(Image removed from quote.)

That can't be you

no blue can in the pic   ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #23 on: Mar 30, 2015, 06:58 AM »
That can't be you

no blue can in the pic   ;D

Sure it's me.  Busch used to come in gallon-sized paint cans...   The empty's made great seats back in the day.
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 30, 2015, 07:43 AM »
good stories guys   keep them coming.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 30, 2015, 07:48 AM »
And you only had to take one beer with you. Isn't that net bigger than the hole?....Great picture...h2l
Northville, NY

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.