The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Vermonters warned to stay off lake, river Ice  (Read 4461 times)

Offline jmaster69

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Vermonters warned to stay off lake, river Ice
« Reply #30 on: Mar 26, 2015, 07:04 PM »
It`s a risk. On an atv i don`t see any issues, a truck however... you got balls lol

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Mar 26, 2015, 07:10 PM »
with some of the cracks I saw yesterday at the bonnet and arnolds I would be very careful with a wheeler.

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 26, 2015, 07:14 PM »
Still trucks driving out.

Offline jmaster69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Mar 26, 2015, 07:18 PM »

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 28, 2015, 06:55 AM »
Ice is still drivable at Campbell's. There were at least 12 trucks out there.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Mar 28, 2015, 07:09 AM »
Thinking about taking a trip to Shelburne Bay or Long Point tomorrow AM, anybody have any update on conditions?

I'll be walking and not going far (looking for perch) so it's probably not a huge worry.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 30, 2015, 09:31 AM »
Just saw this in the BFP -

BENSON — Vermont State Police say six people were rescued when they fell into Lake Champlain when the ice broke from under them while they were riding all-terrain vehicles home from an ice fishing trip.

Police say seven were in the group Sunday afternoon when six fell into the frozen water near Benson.

Several emergency and rescue teams responded. Four people were taken to Rutland Regional Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Mar 30, 2015, 02:26 PM »
was out on cambells this sunday and almost need the auger extension still! I will not drive out this time of year and dont suggest anyone else do so either, but there was cars and trucks driving all over that part of the lake sunday!
Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline shirefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Apr 03, 2015, 06:12 PM »
Those silly, "hyper-ventilating reporters" and "public safety officials" are just silly,

I hope you are kidding?  Like I said before. those same folks that track conditions and issue warnings are the same folks who will risk their own lives to come save us when we push our luck past the limit.  Every year people scoff at the warnings and inevitably every year people go through and sometimes someone dies.  Hopefully it isn't a rescuer.
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline shirefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Apr 03, 2015, 06:25 PM »
I hope you are kidding?  Like I said before. those same folks that track conditions and issue warnings are the same folks who will risk their own lives to come save us when we push our luck past the limit.  Every year people scoff at the warnings and inevitably every year people go through and sometimes someone dies.  Hopefully it isn't a rescuer.

It was meant as total sarcasm as people are going through the ice left and right and people were scoffing at it last week. I also included 2 stories of people going through and I spent time as one of the folks that pull you out, (4 years in the USCG 2- at SAR Station Ketchikan Alaska).

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Apr 03, 2015, 07:10 PM »
It was meant as total sarcasm as people are going through the ice left and right and people were scoffing at it last week. I also included 2 stories of people going through and I spent time as one of the folks that pull you out, (4 years in the USCG 2- at SAR Station Ketchikan Alaska).

Got it.  ; - )  And thanks for your USCG service too.   Must have great, but tough duty in Alaska.
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Apr 04, 2015, 02:41 PM »
Usually it's entirely a matter of where you are. I've been out sometimes after warnings have been issued and I've almost wondered what they could possibly be talking about because where I was, there was plenty of good edge, and good solid ice underneath (and I'm pretty picky about what I consider solid) and then sometimes I've been about to go out and been stopped or diverted to another area by ice that didn't look right, or an edge that just wasn't there.

I think though, that wherever you go right now, the ice's days are numbered, even in the places where it's still good.

My season has probably ended anyway, as the next time I'm able to get out, it'll be time to have a boat under me.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline Registered Kayak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ..............and then there were none.
« Reply #43 on: Apr 04, 2015, 03:25 PM »
Lots of open water near lone rock point and New Yorkward as far as I can see!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.